PDA

View Full Version : Here's the situation...

DemonGeminiX
12-01-2017, 02:46 AM
I just received an email message asking me to join Linkedin. It was from an old friend of mine who was kind of a girlfriend for a very very short time... I mean like weeks. She was divorced and had two kids (they were young so I'm pretty sure she still has them at this point in time. Or maybe not. I don't know.), and I guess I was her rebound. Anyway, it was very short, and we ended up being friends for a while, and then we just lost contact with each other. The next time I hear about her, it's like 6 months later, she's marrying this Swiss dude, becoming a Swiss citizen, and taking the kids with her across the pond. I had no idea she was involved with a Swiss guy beforehand. I was shocked but I wasn't hurt or anything, it just came out of left-field. As far as I was concerned, we had our time and I had already moved on. That was back in the early 00s. I haven't heard about her or from her since. All of a sudden, I get this email asking me to join Linkedin and it's from her. I'm not really much for social networking, and I honestly wouldn't know what to say to her if I did sign up. I've pretty much decided to let it go and forget about it, but I don't know.

I see the email and I go "huh, imagine that. I haven't even thought of her in years" and "Now what?"

I'm kinda dumbfounded, confused here. What would y'all do if you were in my position?

:-k

DemonGeminiX
12-01-2017, 02:50 AM
I'm reading what I wrote here, and it doesn't convey how off this situation feels to me. It's just so weird. I haven't talked to her in years, what the fuck could she want?

deebakes
12-01-2017, 03:15 AM
i think it is weird, but linkedin is dog shit. i have an account and people want to 'connect' all the time (typically from people in the industrial side of science), but it seems to be a giant waste of effort or energy for me and my interests. my guess is something has happened that made her think about you and this was the way she though to connect... weird not to email you though :shrug:

lost in melb.
12-01-2017, 03:23 AM
She may be wanting to reconnect, even as a friend. Women do things indirectly.

As for Linked Bling, after I joined it appropriated my entire Yahoo address book without my permission and sent out invites to everyone. I cancelled the cuntish asshole, after that.

The Monk
12-01-2017, 03:26 AM
I just received an email message asking me to join Linkedin. It was from an old friend of mine who was kind of a girlfriend for a very very short time... I mean like weeks. She was divorced and had two kids (they were young so I'm pretty sure she still has them at this point in time. Or maybe not. I don't know.), and I guess I was her rebound. Anyway, it was very short, and we ended up being friends for a while, and then we just lost contact with each other. The next time I hear about her, it's like 6 months later, she's marrying this Swiss dude, becoming a Swiss citizen, and taking the kids with her across the pond. I had no idea she was involved with a Swiss guy beforehand. I was shocked but I wasn't hurt or anything, it just came out of left-field. As far as I was concerned, we had our time and I had already moved on. That was back in the early 00s. I haven't heard about her or from her since. All of a sudden, I get this email asking me to join Linkedin and it's from her. I'm not really much for social networking, and I honestly wouldn't know what to say to her if I did sign up. I've pretty much decided to let it go and forget about it, but I don't know.

I see the email and I go "huh, imagine that. I haven't even thought of her in years" and "Now what?"

I'm kinda dumbfounded, confused here. What would y'all do if you were in my position?

:-k

LinkedIn is really a business networking social media site..... Not a lot of point joining it if you're not into the business side of it.

Griffin
12-01-2017, 03:27 AM
I'd ask to see her boobs, If they have sagged too much just pass on joining.

RBP
12-01-2017, 04:46 AM
I'd ask to see her boobs, If they have sagged too much just pass on joining.

But we get to judge.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-01-2017, 11:16 AM
LinkedIn will automatically send requests out, all the time, over and over, every fucking day. She may have not even sent it herself. If she has you in her contacts or your e-mail address for any reason, LinkedIn most likely mined that info and sent out a request.

Pony
12-01-2017, 01:12 PM
Yep it sent invites to everyone in her contacts list.

DemonGeminiX
12-01-2017, 02:45 PM
weird not to email you though :shrug:

Now it's bugging me even more. She knows my email address, she could just email me directly. Why bother with this Linkedin bullshit?

DemonGeminiX
12-01-2017, 02:46 PM
LinkedIn will automatically send requests out, all the time, over and over, every fucking day. She may have not even sent it herself. If she has you in her contacts or your e-mail address for any reason, LinkedIn most likely mined that info and sent out a request.

Yep it sent invites to everyone in her contacts list.

Oh. Well, if that's true, then I guess I shouldn't be bothered at all.

Muddy
12-01-2017, 04:02 PM
Im with them, DGX.. That website propagates itself.. I wouldn't put any thought into it.

Hal-9000
12-01-2017, 08:33 PM
As most have said, LinkedIn is a strange way to reestablish contact and from what I recall, just a shitty version of Facebook for your college achievements and work history. Potential employers of course would check it, but a resume does the same thing. I'm probably the wrong person to talk to about joining though, because I'm trying to remove my electronic footprint, not grow it.

DemonGeminiX
12-01-2017, 08:38 PM
I'm not on social media at all either, and I had no intention of joining. But I didn't really know anything about LinkedIn, so I didn't know it was auto-generated. Still, it threw me for a loop. I thought something might be wrong. I almost joined, just to check on her. And she probably hasn't purged her contact list... like, ever... and hasn't even thought about me in ages. :lol:

Hal-9000
12-01-2017, 08:40 PM
I may have tried it in the early days and became offended because of how invasive it was. I think I backed out or was able to delete whatever profile I started creating.

Not that it was full of sparkling achievements or anything :lol:

DemonGeminiX
12-01-2017, 08:45 PM
I had myspace and facebook back in the early days, but it didn't last long. Shitty people kept sending me friend requests and I wasn't talking to my actual friends, who convinced me to sign up for them to begin with. So I said "fuck it", deleted my profiles, and never looked back.

Hal-9000
12-01-2017, 08:51 PM
I don't like it when you can google someone's name and instantly first hits are Facebook and things like Twitter, Linkedin. To me, that's way too much information for people to have.

Unless it's an emergency, we have to be rational. Perhaps there's a reason we haven't spoken to Bill for 25 years?

deebakes
12-03-2017, 04:44 PM
i didn't know about the auto-emails to contacts, i'm glad i don't use my account :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-04-2017, 11:26 AM
i didn't know about the auto-emails to contacts, i'm glad i don't use my account :lol:

It's like a fucking virus

Noilly Pratt
12-04-2017, 07:32 PM
The firm I work for wants us to post our complete job history on there so that we are more employable. All of us have blown them a raspberry and done nothing...with no repercussions.

I do have a fake one just so I can snoop - it's my old van. First name Ford, last name Aerostar. Got an e-mail from my nephew saying "your old van wanted to befriend me on LinkedIn" so I removed a bunch of info :D