PDA

View Full Version : This weird-looking electric car is ‘the future of driving’

lost in melb.
12-05-2017, 02:53 AM
It looks like something Postman Pat might drive, but one of the world’s most influential car designers says REDS, or Revolutionary Electrical Dream Space, is the future of the motor vehicle.

“There are going to be all cars up until REDS and there are going to be all cars after REDS. This is the turning point,” the car’s creator Chris Bangle declared at its Los Angeles Motor Show launch on Friday.

“REDS offers you more. REDS I think is the new way to go forward.”

http://1v1d1e1lmiki1lgcvx32p49h8fe.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/reds-passengers.jpg

It would be easy to dismiss these declarations as mere motor industry hyperbole, but Bangle is renowned for his unorthodox and innovative designs.

The 61-year old American’s CV includes stints with General Motors, Fiat and 17 years with BMW, where his ‘flame surfacing’ styling language generated huge controversy and is now credited with reshaping modern car design.

http://1v1d1e1lmiki1lgcvx32p49h8fe.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/reds-city-cars.jpg

http://thenewdaily.com.au/life/auto/2017/12/03/revolutionary-electrical-dream-space/

Hal-9000
12-05-2017, 05:55 PM
Yes but once they integrate fully automated cars, won't the fallout be that 'regular' cars are no longer allowed on roads for safety reasons?

I've dreamed about an automated commute, but it falls into that weird danger zone for me that says - When you rely on a machine to make all decisions, people get hurt.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-05-2017, 06:33 PM
When you rely on a machine to make all decisions, people get hurt.

Dont people get hurt everyday driving themselves?

Goofy
12-05-2017, 07:09 PM
https://i.imgur.com/iYZ0Q3o.jpg

Hal-9000
12-05-2017, 08:44 PM
Dont people get hurt everyday driving themselves?

Yes you bring up a good point. It's the all encompassing 'I'm going to trust this entire mechanical system to get me to and from' that unnerves me for some reason. Like the door opens, little Suzy gets her arm or leg out and then it closes on her. Or just the idea of a really bad traffic accident that people have no choice but to particulate in :lol:

pluses and minuses on both sides I guess..

PorkChopSandwiches
12-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Yes you bring up a good point. It's the all encompassing 'I'm going to trust this entire mechanical system to get me to and from' that unnerves me for some reason. Like the door opens, little Suzy gets her arm or leg out and then it closes on her. Or just the idea of a really bad traffic accident that people have no choice but to particulate in :lol:

pluses and minuses on both sides I guess..

Well on that note, Im sure people thought that about cars as well in the beginning.
With all the traffic I have to deal with in LA it would be amazing to have everyone automated.

Muddy
12-05-2017, 08:50 PM
You should move to San Francisco.

Hal-9000
12-05-2017, 08:55 PM
Yeah but it's different than current mass transit.

You take a million individuals with differing schedules and rely on the tech to get everyone there safely. I keep seeing glitches and questions of reliability that things like buses and streetcars on set routes don't encounter.

:-k

Hal-9000
12-05-2017, 08:59 PM
and trust me PCS....I live in a smaller town than you (1/8th of the people) and I HATE trying to get across the city. I would love an automated system that worked.

Our problem is we never kept up with the growth. Normal journey that used to take 20 minutes is now 1.5 hours if there's no problems. Close a lane or have a stalled car and then add on another hour.

I can't imagine a large freeway problem that happens in LA. If you're stuck on one, you're stuck until it's cleared.

Godfather
12-06-2017, 02:26 AM
I love driving but I'll happily welcome the driver-less future if it means safer roads and less traffic.

That said, I think this CEO is a fucking lunatic if he thinks the mass market is going to adopt a car that looks like the bastard child of a Cube Van and a Fiat 300

Muddy
12-06-2017, 01:52 PM
I wouldn't mind a commute on driver-less vehicles for consistency. But still have a nice little roadster in the garage for fun on the weekends.