PDA

View Full Version : John Oliver, Dustin Hoffman have heated exchange over sexual harassment claims

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2017, 02:49 PM
By Chris Perez - Page Six

https://i.imgur.com/PnHcM3D.jpg

Dustin Hoffman got into a heated war of words with HBO host John Oliver on Monday night during a public Q&A session after Oliver questioned the actor about recent sexual harassment allegations that were made against him.

“You’ve made one statement in print — does that feel like enough to you?” Oliver asked in reference to an apology Hoffman made after he was publicly accused by a former production assistant in The Hollywood Reporter last month.

“First of all, it didn’t happen, the way she reported,” the actor said, according to Deadline.

To which Oliver replied, “It’s that part of the response to this stuff that pisses me off. It is reflective of who you were. You’ve given no evidence to show that it didn’t happen. There was a period of time when you were creeping around women. It feels like a cop-out to say, ‘Well, this isn’t me.’ Do you understand how that feels like a dismissal?”

Hoffman fired back, “You weren’t there.”

“I’m glad,” Oliver said.

The event — which was held to commemorate the 20th anniversary of Hoffman’s film “Wag the Dog” — lasted roughly an hour and was filled with heated exchanges, Deadline reports.

“You’ve put me on display here,” Hoffman told Oliver at one point. “You have indicted me … That’s not ‘innocent until proven guilty.’”

The actor repeatedly tried to blame the time period for his actions, saying the atmosphere was different back then when the alleged abuse occurred. This prompted Oliver to go back on the offensive.

“I don’t love that answer either,” the British comedian said.

“What response do you want?” Hoffman asked.

“It doesn’t feel self-reflective in the way it seems the incident demands,” replied Oliver.

“I get no pleasure from this conversation,” he added. “But you and I are not the victims here.”

Referencing reports in THR and Variety, Hoffman said: “Do you believe this stuff you’re reading?”

In response, Oliver flat-out said he did “because she would have no reason to lie.”

Moments later, a person in the crowd shouted: “Thank you for believing women.”

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2017, 02:49 PM
I hate John Oliver.

RBP
12-05-2017, 02:56 PM
Oliver has become a self-righteous prick.

But also note the story line. Even in this ridiculous environment, all women are to be taken at face value and believe and all men are guilty unless they can activate the way-back machine and provide definitive evidence that she is incorrect.

Hoffman also makes the point I have been making. It's contextual to the sexual mores at the time.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2017, 03:03 PM
Yup, doesn't matter how long ago it mattered and there is no proof, just claim that you were sexually assaulted and the man is automatically guilty and his life and career is ruined.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2017, 03:03 PM
That whole fucking #metoo movement is actually up as a finalist for Time's person of the year :roll:

RBP
12-05-2017, 03:15 PM
That whole fucking #metoo movement is actually up as a finalist for Time's person of the year :roll:

Until the women get named.

Hal-9000
12-05-2017, 05:20 PM
Yup, doesn't matter how long ago it mattered and there is no proof, just claim that you were sexually assaulted and the man is automatically guilty and his life and career is ruined.

That's what I got from his responses above. :thumbsup:

"she would have no reason to lie...." oh lord let me count the ways that statement is wrong.

RBP
12-05-2017, 05:29 PM

"she would have no reason to lie...." oh lord let me count the ways that statement is wrong.

Being virtually hoisted in the air and triumphantly carried off the field by a horde of vagina costumes is a life changing affirmation.

Hal-9000
12-05-2017, 05:36 PM
Being virtually hoisted in the air and triumphantly carried off the field by a horde of vagina costumes is a life changing affirmation.

I'm not sure what offends me more...the group who think they're being persecuted/assaulted, or the people like this tampon-sucker who pile on just because 'they heard something.'

Teh One Who Knocks
12-05-2017, 05:38 PM

https://i.imgur.com/60HFjJc.gif

Hal-9000
12-05-2017, 05:50 PM
Hoffman makes such a great point by bringing up the innocent until proven guilty statement. Don't get me wrong, my prior post doesn't include people that have actually been assaulted. I think Dustin alluded to something important by simply saying "First of all, it didn’t happen, the way she reported."

When Oliver states - "You’ve given no evidence to show that it didn’t happen", in the interest of equality should the counter be "She has given no evidence to show that it did happen" ?

Should that be the new catch phrase for all people accused of this crime? - Show me some evidence this occurred other than your word.

RBP
12-05-2017, 05:55 PM
Hoffman makes such a great point by bringing up the innocent until proven guilty statement. Don't get me wrong, my prior post doesn't include people that have actually been assaulted against their will. I think Dustin alluded to something important be simply saying "First of all, it didn’t happen, the way she reported."

When Oliver states - "You’ve given no evidence to show that it didn’t happen", in the interest of equality should the counter be " She has given no evidence to show that it did happen" ?

Should that be the new catch phrase for all people accused of this crime? - Show me some evidence this occurred other than your word.

Excerpt from: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/28/opinion/metoo-sexual-harassment-believe-women.html

The huntresses’ war cry — “believe all women” — has felt like a bracing corrective to a historic injustice. It has felt like a justifiable response to a system in which the crimes perpetrated against women — so intimate, so humiliating and so unlike any other — are so very difficult to prove.

But I also can’t shake the feeling that this mantra creates terrible new problems in addition to solving old ones.

In less than two months we’ve moved from uncovering accusations of criminal behavior (Harvey Weinstein) to criminalizing behavior that we previously regarded as presumptuous and boorish (Glenn Thrush). In a climate in which sexual mores are transforming so rapidly, many men are asking: If I were wrongly accused, who would believe me?

I know the answer that many women would give — are giving — is: Good. Be scared. We have been scared for forever. It’s your turn for some sleepless nights. They’ll say: If some innocent men go down in the effort to tear down the patriarchy, so be it.

Hal-9000
12-05-2017, 06:03 PM
I would be scared to work with a woman on a shift alone. Flat out probably wouldn't do it given the choice, or in the least I would ensure through my employer that the area is monitored by video.

Sad new world.

PorkChopSandwiches
12-05-2017, 06:15 PM
I hate John Oliver.

Hes an idiot

lost in melb.
12-05-2017, 11:46 PM
The truth is somewhere in between...probably closer to Hoffman's side.

I still think the #metoo was a needed correction, and when dozens of allegations come out it does reflect poorly on the protagonist. However, the way it has come out and the way it has been seized by hypocritical idiots wanting to blow their own trumpet is unfortunate.

I actually had my first date last night in a long time, with all my renovations and work (charming female concert pianist... lol) At 9.30 pm she wiggled out of my clasp to the end of the couch, looked me in the eye and said "I'm flattered, but no thanks". Many 'no's later she was naked in my bed, frantically sucking my cock, telling me how she wanted me to 'explode'. Explain that one to the feminists!

RBP
12-05-2017, 11:52 PM
The truth is somewhere in between...probably closer to Hoffman's side.

I still think the #metoo was a needed correction, and when dozens of allegations come out it does reflect poorly on the protagonist. However, the way it has come out and the way it has been seized by hypocritical idiots wanting to blow their own trumpet is unfortunate.

I actually had my first date last night in a long time, with all my renovations and work (charming female concert pianist... lol) At 9.30 pm she wiggled out of my clasp to the end of the couch, looked me in the eye and said "I'm flattered, but no thanks". Many 'no's later she was naked in my bed, frantically sucking my cock, telling me how she wanted me to 'explode'. Explain that one to the feminists!

The explanation would be that anything that happened after no, unless you received an affirmative verbal "yes", was sexual assault.

I was trying to make this point, that there is a course of seduction that may include initial hesitation and eventual willing participation. That doesn't make it an assault. Muddy and Hal disagreed.

Griffin
12-05-2017, 11:56 PM
Explain that one to the feminists!

You won't have to as long as you remain meek and out of the public eye.

lost in melb.
12-06-2017, 12:16 AM
The explanation would be that anything that happened after no, unless you received an affirmative verbal "yes", was sexual assault.

I was trying to make this point, that there is a course of seduction that may include initial hesitation and eventual willing participation. That doesn't make it an assault. Muddy and Hal disagreed.

Exactly, that's why I put 'no's' in quotes. We both knew what was up. It's being mature enough to read the subtle signals. To take the opposite case, some women have been willing to go ahead with sex, but there was something reticent and uncomfortable about their attitude. I'll actually stop and call a raincheck, even though they didn't say no.

I often ask women why they play these games (significantly down the track). The most consistent explanations are ' you've gotta put yourself on the line and prove yourself' 'wanna see if you can handle me refusing sex without flipping out and getting upset'

lost in melb.
12-06-2017, 12:20 AM
You won't have to as long as you remain meek and out of the public eye.

You're right. Famous people probably need to be more reserved nowadays :idk:

Godfather
12-06-2017, 02:45 AM

My brother is very single and said that when he hooks up with tinder girls now, he actually talks to them about it and sex is a firm yes or no question, and moreover he only feels comfortable when there is verbal, "enthusiastic concent." I think when I was single, sometimes a girl would jump on me and off we go, or vice versa.

The former seems so formal and robotic to me, but it's sounding like that's what a lot of women want in light of the whole #metoo thing... Of course there are times I'd straight up ask if a girl wanted to have sex and you'd wait for an empathic reply, but apparently not doing that now (particularly with someone you aren't in a longer-term relationship with) is akin to rape, or at least it's very grey....

I'm just glad I've been in a relationship for 9-years. I think I'm a very understanding and was always so cautious with girl's feelings and reading the mood, but clearly it's even more complicated than that :lol:

RBP
12-06-2017, 04:09 AM
My brother is very single and said that when he hooks up with tinder girls now, he actually talks to them about it and sex is a firm yes or no question, and moreover he only feels comfortable when there is verbal, "enthusiastic concent." I think when I was single, sometimes a girl would jump on me and off we go, or vice versa.

The former seems so formal and robotic to me, but it's sounding like that's what a lot of women want in light of the whole #metoo thing... Of course there are times I'd straight up ask if a girl wanted to have sex and you'd wait for an empathic reply, but apparently not doing that now (particularly with someone you aren't in a longer-term relationship with) is akin to rape, or at least it's very grey....

I'm just glad I've been in a relationship for 9-years. I think I'm a very understanding and was always so cautious with girl's feelings and reading the mood, but clearly it's even more complicated than that :lol:

I don't think "most" girls want that. We again respond to the loudest megaphone... most girls don't mind the cat and mouse. Most girls actually like a strong aggressive (non-abusive) man. Most girls think the same as we do... that this is such bullshit.

I'd be fascinated to have thread where we ask the females in our lives these questions. I think most of our partners would say they are out of their minds.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-06-2017, 11:28 AM

You do know that according to the feminists that push this #metoo bullshit that consent can be revoked at any time? So even if she gives you the green light, she can claim that sometime during, or even after the fact, that she withdrew her consent and you sexually assaulted/raped her. So realistically in this New World Order, unless you have a signed, dated, and probably notarized contract showing that she consented to sex, you could be accused of sexual assault and/or rape at any time. And as a guy, you are automatically the liar and she is the pure and unsullied with no reason to lie.

Hal-9000
12-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Revoking consent...

that's like unlighting a fire

Teh One Who Knocks
12-06-2017, 06:06 PM
https://i.imgur.com/5dk1Iggl.png

Hal-9000
12-06-2017, 06:07 PM
I love those lawful declarations..."and that is rape." Nanah, neener neener suck my weener.

More like ..."and that is fuck off" :)