PDA

View Full Version : Is this cheeky logo too sexy for an N.J. ice cream shop? Locals think so.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-06-2017, 12:19 PM
By Joseph Atmonavage - NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

https://i.imgur.com/3gCOrXY.jpg

A new ice cream shop's controversial logo is forcing management to consider making its cartoon cow mascot "more fun and less sexy," a manager wrote in a Facebook post.

The newly opened Dairy Air Ice Cream Co., located at 521 Bloomfield Ave. in Montclair, began receiving complaints Monday after Amy Tingle, a local business owner in Montclair, wrote an open letter on Facebook to Dairy Air, asking them to reconsider the logo, of a "sexualized" female cartoon cow, and remove it from the storefront, packaging and elsewhere.

"It is offensive and sickening," Tingle wrote. "A hyper-sexualized, obviously female cow with her ass upended and poking through a circle, tail raised up, waiting for what? I'm not sure, but I do know that I am repulsed and offended."

Tingle wrote that the logo is not offensive to just women, but also men "who are trying to raise strong young women in a culture that continuously sexualizes them rather than treating them equally, with dignity and respect.

"Instead of making girls and women feel safe and authentic, we are made to feel - by ads and logos like yours - as if we are things for someone else's sexual use," she continued.

In a Facebook post on Tuesday, Tingle invited community members to her store, Creativity Caravan (28 S. Fullerton Ave.), Saturday at noon to further discuss the issue. She also said on Facebook that she spoke personally with Anthony Tortoriello, one of the owners of Dairy Air, and while they disagree on the nature of the logo, "he apologized for it and is willing to continue the dialogue together."

Attempts to reach Dairy Air management for comment were unsuccessful, though a manager responded to the complaints on Facebook, saying they planned to tone down the logo.

"We have heard the complaints," Natalie DeRosa, manager of Dairy Air in Montclair, wrote this week. "We take them very seriously and we are acting to change the cow to be more fun and less sexy. Our goal was always fun and not sexy."

Other community members took to Tingle's Facebook post to rail on Dairy Air, which is a play on the French word "derriere," meaning buttocks, and their newly minted logo.

"Totally disgusting and repulsive. Good for you for calling them out on it," Facebook user Tina Tierson wrote.

"Misguided branding that is shocking in this day and age!!," Leslie Billera wrote.

According to Montclair Local, Dairy Air is a liquid nitrogen ice cream shop that consists of a pun-filled menu.

The weekly newpaper said items inlcude: Backside Banana Split, Keister Key Lime and Coconut, Peanut Butt'r Booty, Oprah's Favorite Fanny, Backend Bourbon Blues, Bumm Rush, Sweet Cheeks and Chocolate, Devil's Derriere, Spankin' Strawberry Moon, Mexican Waffle Wedgie and the Muffin-Top Money Maker.

================================================== =======

Her whole Facebook rant:

"To the owner and the marketing team at Dairy Air,

I am writing to you to ask you to reconsider your logo design and to remove it from your packaging, storefront, marketing plan, etc. It is offensive and sickening. A hyper-sexualized, obviously female cow with her ass upended and poking through a circle, tail raised up, waiting for what? I’m not sure, but I do know that I am repulsed and offended.

This kind of marketing scheme is the reason we currently have a sexual predator in the White House. Because we have let ideas like this one pass with approval again and again and again. Because women (and men) have sat passively in marketing meetings and have not spoken up when ideas like this one are presented. Because no one spoke up in your marketing meeting and said, “This is wrong.” This is offensive, not just to women, but to husbands and fathers and brothers and uncles and grandfathers who are trying to raise strong young women in a culture that continuously sexualizes them rather than treating them equally, with dignity and respect. Instead of making girls and women feel safe and authentic, we are made to feel - by ads and logos like yours - as if we are things for someone else’s sexual use.

Sell your ice cream on its own merit. Sell your ice cream because it is delicious. Sell your ice cream because it is unique and it is made in a way other ice cream isn’t made. Sell your ice cream because it is a good product sold at a good, fair price point. Do not sell your ice cream by selling me out, and by selling out my collective body of women allies. Do not sell your ice cream by sexualizing us.

Reconsider your logo design and take some time to honestly consider the feelings of women in Montclair and the surrounding area, this country, the world. Consider the young girls and boys who will step through your doors and consciously or subconsciously believe that this is kind of sales pitch is okay.

It is not okay. It has never been and will never be okay."

RBP
12-06-2017, 01:14 PM
The perpetually offended. :|

Goofy
12-06-2017, 01:20 PM
"A hyper-sexualized, obviously female cow with her ass upended and poking through a circle, tail raised up, waiting for what?

The dick

RBP
12-06-2017, 01:27 PM
This kind of marketing scheme is the reason we currently have a sexual predator in the White House.

:|

Muddy
12-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Thats funny..

Teh One Who Knocks
12-06-2017, 02:15 PM
https://i.imgur.com/uZfprcK.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
12-06-2017, 04:46 PM
:hitit:

RBP
12-06-2017, 05:14 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
12-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Dairy Air...and it's on her ass??

:lol: took me a minute but hell yeah, it's great!

Hugh_Janus
12-06-2017, 09:46 PM
I still think the a style logo is more cheeky

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/sealonline/images/e/e3/A-Style.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131103151319

Muddy
12-06-2017, 09:48 PM
Is that a store or something?

Hugh_Janus
12-06-2017, 10:13 PM
clothes or something idk, I judt remember seeing the logo on advertising boards on the trackside in motogp races and thinging "wait.... did I just see.... fuck me, I did...."

deebakes
12-07-2017, 05:17 AM
:wank:

Muddy
12-07-2017, 09:05 AM
It cant be unseen..