View Full Version : Prof: Academic rigor reinforces 'power and privilege'

Teh One Who Knocks
12-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Toni Airaksinen, New York Campus Correspondent - Campus Reform

https://i.imgur.com/gEKpjiS.jpg

The leader of Purdue University’s School of Engineering Education recently declared that academic “rigor” reinforces “white male heterosexual privilege.”

Donna Riley, who previously taught engineering at Smith College for 13 years, published an article in the most recent issue of the journal Engineering Education, arguing that academic rigor is a “dirty deed” that upholds “white male heterosexual privilege.”

Defining rigor as “the aspirational quality academics apply to disciplinary standards of quality,” Riley asserts that “rigor is used to maintain disciplinary boundaries, with exclusionary implications for marginalized groups and marginalized ways of knowing.”

“One of rigor’s purposes is, to put it bluntly, a thinly veiled assertion of white male (hetero)sexuality,” she writes, explaining that rigor “has a historical lineage of being about hardness, stiffness, and erectness; its sexual connotations—and links to masculinity in particular—are undeniable.”

Hence, Riley remarks that “My visceral reaction in many conversations where I have seen rigor asserted has been to tell parties involved (regardless of gender) to whip them out and measure them already.”

Riley also argues that academic rigor can be used to exclude women and minorities, saying, “Rigor may be a defining tool, revealing how structural forces of power and privilege operate to exclude men of color and women, students with disabilities, LGBTQ+ people, first-generation and low-income students, and non-traditionally aged students.”

She claims that rigor can “reinforce gender, race, and class hierarchies in engineering, and maintain invisibility of queer, disabled, low-income, and other marginalized engineering students,” adding that “decades of ethnographic research document a climate of microaggressions and cultures of whiteness and masculinity in engineering.”

She evens contends that “scientific knowledge itself is gendered, raced, and colonizing,” asserting that in the field of engineering, there is an “inherent masculinist, white, and global North bias...all under a guise of neutrality.”

To fight this, Riley calls for engineering programs to “do away with” the notion of academic rigor completely, saying, “This is not about reinventing rigor for everyone, it is about doing away with the concept altogether so we can welcome other ways of knowing. Other ways of being. It is about criticality and reflexivity.”

“We need these other ways of knowing to critique rigor, and to find a place to start to build a community for inclusive and holistic engineering education,” she concludes.

Campus Reform reached out to Riley multiple times for comment, but did not receive a response in time for publication.

lost in melb.
12-12-2017, 01:24 PM
The leader of Purdue University’s School of Engineering Education

what is a leader? :-k

lost in melb.
12-12-2017, 01:28 PM
CampusReform.org is a project of the Leadership Institute. The Leadership Institute is a non-partisan educational organization approved by the Internal Revenue Service as a public foundation operating under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue code. The Leadership Institute does not endorse, support, or oppose candidates or proposed legislation. The Institute has an open admissions policy; all programs are open to the public. Contributions to the Leadership Institute by individuals, corporations, and foundations are tax deductible

With all due respect, what is this organization and what is its goal? Who funds it?

Judging by the articles, it appears incredibly partisan.

RBP
12-12-2017, 02:13 PM
With all due respect, what is this organization and what is its goal? Who funds it?

Judging by the articles, it appears incredibly partisan.

How is pointing out stupidity partisan?

RBP
12-12-2017, 02:14 PM
rigor “has a historical lineage of being about hardness, stiffness, and erectness; its sexual connotations—and links to masculinity in particular—are undeniable.”

I deny that. There. Done.

Somebody needs to get laid. This is complete garbage.

Muddy
12-12-2017, 02:26 PM
You guys wonder why I dont read this shit.. The title says all I need.

lost in melb.
12-12-2017, 02:33 PM
How is pointing out stupidity partisan?

It's focused on only one kind of stupidity.

lost in melb.
12-12-2017, 02:35 PM
I deny that. There. Done.

Somebody needs to get laid. This is complete garbage.

Mostly garbage, but maybe there's something in her article. Engineering can be incredibly male dominated. We're just Cherry picking here, who knows the full story, not I...

RBP
12-12-2017, 03:00 PM
It's focused on only one kind of stupidity.

Fair enough, I thought you meant politically partisan, but you meant issue partisan. It ends up being political also, but not by design, just all the SJW's are on one side.

RBP
12-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Mostly garbage, but maybe there's something in her article. Engineering can be incredibly male dominated. We're just Cherry picking here, who knows the full story, not I...

Okay, so address women in STEM and talk about creating effective learning environments. What possible purpose could it serve to tell colleagues "to whip them out and measure them already". That's just being a divisive, man-hating, cunt.

https://i.imgur.com/ipfm52v.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
12-12-2017, 03:07 PM
You guys wonder why I dont read this shit.. The title says all I need.

:privilege:

Muddy
12-12-2017, 03:13 PM
:hand:

deebakes
12-13-2017, 12:47 AM
this narrative and way of thinking has been lately working its way into scientific meetings that i am asked to attend and have 'optional' breakout sessions for discussions of how to increase women in positions of leadership in science. the successful female scientists think the whole thing is garbage and simply state that they got to their position in the same way as men, mainly that they worked their asses off and didn't have an inherent expectation that marginal work is rewarded because of your gender/identity/whatever :shrug:

i say 'optional', because they clearly want men there to listen and if i've missed them, i have definitely heard about it :lol:

lost in melb.
12-13-2017, 02:50 AM
Okay, so address women in STEM and talk about creating effective learning environments. What possible purpose could it serve to tell colleagues "to whip them out and measure them already". That's just being a divisive, man-hating, cunt.

Well, "m giving her a maybe until I know more. Generally a head of department is pretty straight shooter.

She is a lefty though.

http://www.morganclaypool.com/doi/abs/10.2200/S00117ED1V01Y200805ETS007

RBP
12-13-2017, 05:41 AM
Well, "m giving her a maybe until I know more. Generally a head of department is pretty straight shooter.

She is a lefty though.

http://www.morganclaypool.com/doi/abs/10.2200/S00117ED1V01Y200805ETS007

And a man-hating lesbian. :lol:

lost in melb.
12-13-2017, 05:46 AM
:drunkpost: And a man-hating lesbian. :lol:

:ftfy:

RBP
12-13-2017, 05:53 AM
:ftfy:

2010 Educator of the Year award from the National Organization of Gay and Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals (NOGLSTP)

Edit: In case you were wondering, it stands for "No! Good Lord! Stop!"

:hand:

https://i.imgur.com/ijCqmqp.jpg

lost in melb.
12-13-2017, 08:06 AM
Nooo, not Donna too... :lala:

perrhaps
12-13-2017, 10:13 AM

Um, "Guilty"?