PDA

View Full Version : Amtrak train was traveling at 80 mph in 30 mph zone before derailment, NTSB says

Teh One Who Knocks
12-19-2017, 11:08 AM
By Ryan Gaydos | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/riiCG8d.jpg

An Amtrak train that derailed Monday during its inaugural ride on a new line in Washington state was traveling at 80 mph in a 30 mph zone, the National Transportation Safety Board said, citing data recorder information.

Bella Dinh-Zarr, an NTSB board member, said at a news conference late Monday that information from the data recorder in the rear locomotive provided information about the train’s speed.

At least three people were killed in the derailment, and more than 70 others were taken to a hospital for medical treatment, police said.

Dinh-Zarr said it was not yet known what caused the train to derail and that it was "too early to tell" why the train was going so fast.

https://i.imgur.com/IJGOkGp.jpg

Transportation Department spokeswoman Barbara LaBoe said earlier Monday the curve where the train was crossing has a speed limit of 30 mph, the Seattle Times reported.

“Engineers are trained to slow trains according to posted speeds,” LaBoe said.

Additionally, Amtrak President Richard Anderson told reporters in a conference call that Positive Train Control – the technology that can slow or stop a speeding train – wasn’t in use on the stretch of track where the derailment unfolded.

The FBI said in a statement that there was no information to suggest a nexus to terrorism or any elevated risk to Washington residents. The agency was assisting the NTSB in its investigation.

Silence, then screaming

Meanwhile, more passengers described what happened.

Emma Shafer said she found herself at a 45-degree angle staring at the seats in front of her that had dislodged and swung around.

"It felt oddly silent after the actual crashing," Shafer said. "Then there was people screaming because their leg was messed up. ... I don't know if I actually heard the sirens, but they were there. A guy was like, 'Hey, I'm Robert. We'll get you out of here.'"

Aleksander Kristiansen, a 24-year-old exchange student at the University of Washington from Copenhagen, was going to Portland to visit the city for the day.

"I was just coming out of the bathroom when the accident happened. My car just started shaking really, really badly," he said.

The back of his train car was wide open because it had separated from the rest of the train, so he and others were able to jump out to safety.

Chart shows speed limits

A track chart prepared by the Washington State Department of Transportation shows the maximum speed drops from 79 mph to 30 mph for passenger trains just before the tracks curve to cross Interstate 5, which is where the train went off the tracks.

The chart, dated Feb. 7, was submitted to the Federal Railroad Administration in anticipation of the start of passenger service along a new bypass route that shaves off 10 minutes for the trip between Seattle and Portland, Ore.

Kimberly Reason with Sound Transit, the Seattle-area transit agency that owns the tracks, said speed signs are posted 2 miles before the speed zone changes and just before the speed zone approaching the curve.

Amtrak train 501 heading southbound derailed around 7:30 a.m. local time after it left the new Tacoma station.

Photos from the scene showed at least one train car completely detached and fallen onto Interstate 5 below, while another dangled in the air. Drivers on the highway were injured, but none were killed, police said.

Goofy
12-19-2017, 12:38 PM
:|

Hal-9000
12-19-2017, 07:17 PM
So how was it determined that the train was speeding? They're talking about going 50 mph faster than the curve limit.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-19-2017, 07:28 PM
Telemetry from the train I imagine.

Hal-9000
12-19-2017, 07:32 PM
Guess the driver has pretty much lost his job...

Griffin
12-19-2017, 10:11 PM
Trains have a "black box" recorder similar to what is in planes. The rear engine had the box that showed speed and times of impact.

Godfather
12-20-2017, 02:09 AM
Guess the driver has pretty much lost his job...

80mph over the speed limit... someone should go to jail...

deebakes
12-20-2017, 02:52 AM
:rip:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-20-2017, 12:28 PM
By Nicole Darrah, Fox News and The Associated Press

https://i.imgur.com/WuYj7In.jpg

Federal investigators are looking into whether the Amtrak engineer operating a train which derailed and killed three people Monday morning in Washington state was distracted by an employee-in-training, an official told The Associated Press.

Investigators, according to the official, want to determine if the engineer lost “situational awareness” while operating the train during its inaugural ride because of the second person in the train car.

The train was traveling at 80 mph in a 30 mph zone on a new rail line early Monday in DuPont when it derailed and fell over onto Interstate 5 below, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) said late Monday, citing data recorder information.

Of the train’s 85 passengers, three people were killed and more than 70 others were injured in the derailment.

A NTSB member confirmed Tuesday night that both an engineer and a conductor who was "getting experience and familiarizing himself with the territory" were in the cab when the train crashed. She noted that the actual conductor of the train was in the passenger section when the accident occurred.

https://i.imgur.com/wfaettb.jpg

The unidentified train engineer was bleeding from the head after the derailment and his eyes were swollen shut, according to radio transmissions from a crew member. The transmissions mentioned a second person in the front of the train who was also hurt.

In previous transportation disasters, investigators have looked at whether the engineer was distracted or incapacitated.

Investigators at this point haven’t said what caused the derailment, and the NTSB said it’s too early to determine why the locomotive was moving at such a fast speed.

Officials said that positive train control — technology that can automatically stop or slow down a speeding train — wasn’t in use on the stretch of track where the derailment occurred because it wasn’t completed.

Components of positive train control and track sensors had been previously installed, but wasn’t scheduled to be completed until the spring, according to officials.

However, a NTSB member said it’s still too early to say if positive train control would’ve prevented the accident.

The NTSB also added Tuesday that an event recorder from the derailment appears to show the emergency brake was automatically activated while the accident was occurring, rather than being initiated by the train's engineer.

deebakes
12-22-2017, 02:12 AM
:dunce: