PDA

View Full Version : Fire in the Mountains

Pony
12-20-2017, 01:10 PM
So, I just spent the last 3.5 weeks at my Aunts place in South Carolina mountains, This past Sat a neighbor down the road had a small burn fire get away from him and lit the mountain on fire! He took all the proper precautions, Shovel, rake, garden hose and cleared the area beforehand, all it took was a moment of inattention...

All in all, we got very lucky, the ground was still damp under the leaves from the recent snowfall and there was almost no breeze. Still ended up burning maybe 80 acres, including about 20 of my families property. Big thanks to the local volunteer fire depts that arrived quickly and immediately called Forestry to come out! Those guys (Forestry) really know their stuff, they showed up with a spotter plane, four bulldozers to cut fire breaks and got the fire managed with only a small crew of guys.

Most of the pics posted below are from the back fires purposely set by Forestry to control the burn, we were in the woods with the Chief getting an "on the line" look at their expertise! Sorry about the low quality pics, only had my antique phone on me.
https://imgur.com/a/nPQtS

Teh One Who Knocks
12-20-2017, 03:39 PM
https://i.imgur.com/IotfhXl.jpg

Muddy
12-20-2017, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the share..

Noilly Pratt
12-20-2017, 08:50 PM
Brought back memories of the Barriere fire I was kinda near. We were cut off for a few hours while camping and on evacuation notice. We kept everything ready to go just in case we didn't get any warning.

We weren't that close though! Thanks for the share.

DemonGeminiX
12-20-2017, 10:43 PM
The title of this thread would make a cool title of a song.

Noilly Pratt
12-20-2017, 11:00 PM
It is (kind of) a lyric of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" and a Grateful Dead tune. - Fire On The Mountain instead of In...

Godfather
12-21-2017, 02:12 AM
Cool photos. Those controlled burns fascinate me.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-21-2017, 11:15 AM
The title of this thread would make a cool title of a song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uMWbZj-gWg

Hal-9000
12-21-2017, 11:42 AM
"He took all the proper precautions"

Did he though? 80 acres is a lot of land

Pony
12-21-2017, 11:54 AM
"He took all the proper precautions"

Did he though? 80 acres is a lot of land

More or less. The only things he did wrong were not have a second person present and turn his back on it for a moment. Was a small fire, he thought it was about burned out. It truly was more of a freak accident than incompetence. End result is the same but none of the neighbors hold any ill will toward him. Talked with him the following night, he was an emotional wreck.

Hal-9000
12-21-2017, 12:01 PM
More or less. The only things he did wrong were not have a second person present and turn his back on it for a moment. Was a small fire, he thought it was about burned out. It truly was more of a freak accident than incompetence. End result is the same but none of the neighbors hold any ill will toward him. Talked with him the following night, he was an emotional wreck.

Good to hear.

So you're up too? What is this National American Get Up Early Day?

I've been up for 22 hours...damn it's cold in here :-k

Pony
12-21-2017, 12:06 PM
I typically get up pretty early. :lol: I can't seem to get warm this morning though, I've got a hoodie and the space heater on. Bout to go run out for some breakfast, maybe a hot meal will help get the chill out.

Hal-9000
12-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Are you still in SC or back home in...Idaho? Wisconsin??...ermm...Utah?

Ohio!

Pony
12-21-2017, 12:16 PM
Came back home to Ohio on Tuesday, Glad to see everything was as I left it. I have never left my house empty for nearly a month before!

Hal-9000
12-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Should of told me. I could have taken in your mail and rubbed my unclean ass on your pillowcases :tup:

Pony
12-21-2017, 12:38 PM
You would do that for me? I couldn't ask for such a big "favor" as that! :lol:

I am curious to go back in the spring and see what the burnt areas look like. There are supposed to be many benefits after a fire. Plus there are a whole bunch of new trails cut all over the property, My aunt and I hiked to the top of the mountain Sunday morning to survey the damage.

Muddy
12-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Found this for you this morning...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAhEi7W1ib0

Hal-9000
12-21-2017, 05:52 PM
You would do that for me? I couldn't ask for such a big "favor" as that! :lol:

I am curious to go back in the spring and see what the burnt areas look like. There are supposed to be many benefits after a fire. Plus there are a whole bunch of new trails cut all over the property, My aunt and I hiked to the top of the mountain Sunday morning to survey the damage.

For sure, that's part of the ritual of looking after someone's house when they're away :thumbsup: Toothbrush up the ass is another fun thing to do :)

I travel to the BC border to visit a national park and travel down hwy 93 where a large portion of land was burned in a huge forest fire. The trees have been gone for years and it still looks like shit :lol: I've heard about the regrowth process but it takes generations to do naturally.

Pony
12-21-2017, 07:35 PM
For sure, that's part of the ritual of looking after someone's house when they're away :thumbsup: Toothbrush up the ass is another fun thing to do :)

I travel to the BC border to visit a national park and travel down hwy 93 where a large portion of land was burned in a huge forest fire. The trees have been gone for years and it still looks like shit :lol: I've heard about the regrowth process but it takes generations to do naturally.

At least here it was only the leaves and dead stuff burning off the ground, all the trees (even the smallest twigs) seem to have fared very well. I'm thinking without the thick layer of dead leaves and the nutrients from the burn that a lot of new growth might happen relatively quick.