PDA

View Full Version : Trade pot for an SUV? Not with the Teller County sheriff, dude

Teh One Who Knocks
12-21-2017, 11:25 AM
By: Ellie Mulder - Colorado Springs Gazette

https://i.imgur.com/ir7V0BU.jpg

Bummer, dude.

A Vail man tried to buy a car with homegrown black-market weed, but he texted the wrong man at the wrong time.

"You want to know the truth? I saw that text, and I started giggling," Teller County Sheriff Jason Mikesell said Tuesday.

After advertising an SUV for sale on Craigslist, Mikesell said he was surprised to get a text from Shawn Langley, offering to pay for it in marijuana.

Langley sent photos of the product, boasting about its quality, authorities said.

"I was really surprised and I thought at first, 'Maybe this is a joke,'" Mikesell said.

He showed the texts to detectives the next morning, and they soon turned the blunder into a bust, setting up a meeting in Woodland Park to trade the SUV for the pot.

Instead of driving away in the SUV, Langley and Jane Cravens were arrested by undercover detectives, the Sheriff's Office said.

https://i.imgur.com/2aSfmOE.jpg

Four pounds of illegal marijuana was in the duo's car, authorities said.

The sheriff said the Craigslist bust further opened his eyes as to how pervasive the marijuana black market is statewide.

"It just highlights (that) it's here, it's in our local communities," Mikesell said.

Langley, 39, and Cravens, 41, each was arrested Nov. 28 on suspicion of possession with intent to sell - one misdemeanor count for a small quanity, and a felony count for a larger amount, court records show.

Cravens posted $5,000 bond, but Langley was in Teller County jail on $10,000 bond Tuesday evening, inmate records show.

Mikesell said the botched sale made him wonder how often people - even children - are approached with similar offers.

"There was a very sobering side of that, as law enforcement," he said.

The Sheriff's Office will begin a marijuana education and increased enforcement initiative Jan. 1, Mikesell said.

The sheriff declined to describe the SUV he's selling. But he did say he won't be relisting it on Craigslist.