PDA

View Full Version : For the Australians

Hal-9000
12-31-2017, 08:01 PM
So when you guys are struggling with temperatures that make you sweat a little, here's some perspective :)

It's been an average of -30C all week here. The other night with the wind chill, it got down to -37. Some parts of the States are going through this too.

We have had two big snowfalls. One dumped 32 cms and one was 30 cms. It doesn't happen gradually over a few days, both occurred in less than four hours.

There's a law that says we have to keep our sidewalks clear within 24 hours of a snowfall. If you don't, you can get fined by the city.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My birdbath Snow-a-meter. It's convex and it reached that level from 6pm - 10pm Friday night

https://i.imgur.com/OBmftZj.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View out my front room window right now. Arrows indicate about two feet of snow at the neighbors across the street.
To move that much snow sometimes more than once a day, is the number one cause of heart attacks and back injuries in our province.

https://i.imgur.com/tX2g5RL.jpg

This is my shed in the backyard. I have a lock on it, but no need! Those doors won't open until April.

https://i.imgur.com/Mzvb2gd.jpg

This is my outside door. It's kind of hard to see, but the entire thing frosts up because the heat inside the house vs the outside cold freezes the glass instantly.

https://i.imgur.com/s3cLJNi.jpg

The sun came out and things are warming up! If you look closely at my thermometer...it's fogged up from the cold :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/jNLWQdc.jpg

Guys I realize the heat is no fun. You have to make it from one air conditioned area to the next, or risk getting all sweaty and uncomfortable.
I've played football and other sports in +33C summer weather here (Yes, we get all seasons...good and bad), and it was difficult.
I can't imagine +40C sun and know that I would have troubles sleeping and probably have to shower twice a day.

But just try to remember we can have our indoor heating set quite high ($$) and start the biggest fire ever in your house when the temperature drops down below -25 for a few days, yet your house and your body never gets warm. And God help you if you get stuck outside and have to walk farther than a block. The cold kills vehicles. A percentage will not start in this weather or break down on the road after starting.

It's like being on the moon at times, because we have to do the same thing with the cold as you do with heat. Go from one island of moderate temps to another. Hypothermia and frostbite are no joke. I wore two pairs of gloves yesterday shoveling some snow and had to come in because the tips of my fingers were burning after 20 minutes out there.

love,
hal

Godfather
12-31-2017, 08:51 PM
I've never even experienced -30, that's so brutal :lol:

Stay warm and drive safe dude.

I imagine being poor and without reliable heating, or homeless right now must be really dangerous.

Yt Trash
12-31-2017, 09:13 PM
I'm not bragging, complaining really. But I live in South FL. My AC doesn't go off at all year round.

deebakes
12-31-2017, 10:45 PM
:shock:

Godfather
12-31-2017, 10:49 PM
I'm not bragging, complaining really. But I live in South FL. My AC doesn't go off at all year round.

Here in the pacific northwest, it rarely gets colder than -1C/30F or hotter than 30c/86f, we get maybe 3" of snow a year at sea level, and I live fine without A/C :lol: I really can't complain about much except the 160 days of rain

The Monk
01-01-2018, 04:50 AM
I spent a night in the Ice Hotel at Jukkasjärvi, Sweden two years ago. This is 200km above the Arctic circle. Temp when we arrived at the airport at Kiruna and travelled by dog sled along the Torne River was -37°. Slept in the hotel (built totally from ice cut from the river) on a bed that was also a large block of ice. Inside temps are -5° to -8°. Drank in the Ice Bar where temps were also well below freezing and served in ice glasses.

Also travelled further north via dog sled again to a wilderness lodge and was even colder.

I loved it and never really felt the cold or uncomfortable.

https://i.imgur.com/bncjbsN.jpg

However, just as our heat can become unbearable if it continues for several days, so I imagine does your cold. I hate heat and prefer cold but all things considered, we could be slightly ahead of you.

RBP
01-01-2018, 06:56 AM
I have to ask. Did you fuck in the ice hotel?

The Monk
01-01-2018, 07:40 AM
I have to ask. Did you fuck in the ice hotel?

Not inside individual sleeping bags..... :lol:

Hal-9000
01-02-2018, 08:06 PM
I've never even experienced -30, that's so brutal :lol:

Stay warm and drive safe dude.

I imagine being poor and without reliable heating, or homeless right now must be really dangerous.

Thanks GF, that was kinda my point :lol: One side of the thermometer leads to profuse sweating and dehydration, while the other is a little more serious.

For example you can survive in extreme heat for days, extreme cold however can kill you within minutes. There is no comparison in my mind.

It's currently zero here right now and I was just outside getting the recycle bin in a tshirt without a coat :lol:

Hal-9000
01-02-2018, 08:35 PM
Here in the pacific northwest, it rarely gets colder than -1C/30F or hotter than 30c/86f, we get maybe 3" of snow a year at sea level, and I live fine without A/C :lol: I really can't complain about much except the 160 days of rain

Yeah man we get a lot of sun considering the gamut of weather we have every year. From -37 to +34C is about a 75 degree swing.

Not sure if I could handle all of the overcast/rainy days you guys get out there. One thing you probably don't get...all of the salt and chemicals they put on our roads in winter that kill the vehicles.

I was just out in the garage cleaning up snow on the floor from my brother's rental vehicle and the floor is covered in this white layer of chemicals.

Muddy
01-02-2018, 08:40 PM
Thanks GF, that was kinda my point :lol: One side of the thermometer leads to profuse sweating and dehydration, while the other is a little more serious.

Hold on there, Bud... We have an old saying here.. "You can always add another layer but never take but so many off."

I'm not so sure I'd choose being stuck in a desert over being stuck in a freezing environment.

The heat can be just as extreme without the proper protection.

Hal-9000
01-02-2018, 08:59 PM
Hold on there, Bud... We have an old saying here.. "You can always add another layer but never take but so many off."

I'm not so sure I'd choose being stuck in a desert over being stuck in a freezing environment.

The heat can be just as extreme without the proper protection.

Hold up bro :lol:

You mean to say a person does better in the desert than opposed to -35 weather?

:rofl: Had this 'discussion' before.

Have you ever been in -35 weather for any amount of time, even fully dressed in a parka? Any exposed skin gets frostbite within minutes, then you lose the finger or toe.

Let's take a mediate example. -30 vs +40. In +40 weather we're going to say the person can wear shorts and tshirt, same way the person on -30 can wear long pants, gloves and a jacket.The person in the heat can live for over four days, without water before dying of dehydration. But let's say the person can eat and drink normally in both extremes.

I was out doing my walks in -35 weather the other day. I had on two pairs of pants, two shirts, two pairs of socks, two fleeces (like hoodies), a winter jacket, two pairs of gloves and a toque. I actually started wearing a hat this year for the first time. So look at me all bundled up.

I had to come back into the house after 20 minutes (lots of snow) because my fingers, toes and nose started burning and tingling. A precursor to frostbite.

Now let's go one step further, I gotta take the bus, or walk somewhere in the same weather. No house to come back into. Another step...let's say I can't get anywhere indoors in the next 24 hours. Hypothermia will kill me.

Now imagine you're out during your hottest day. What is it in Virginia...90, 100 degrees F? If you had to walk let's say from the marina back to your house and it's 5 miles, you would make it. Now let's say we allow that you are dressed for the weather, meaning shorts and a tshirt. (same way I get all of those clothes above and winter jacket with gloves)

You're going to sweat and have an itchy asscrack, no doubt. But you can't seriously say or endorse the saying 'you can always warm up', when you've never spent even an hour in extreme cold. Your house barely reaches an indoor temp of over 70F in that weather because of how insulation works against extreme cold.

People who live here know this...you rarely are able to stay indoors for over a week in -35 weather. You have to go out and start cars, clear walks, get food, go to work....and that's assuming your vehicle always works and you're not away from it or an indoor place for over 10 minutes.

I've had the luxury of living in both sides of the thermometer. No joke when I said I've played football and worked in a warehouse in over 90F heat.

A person could never stand outside for three hours doing anything in -35.

Muddy
01-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Hold up bro :lol:

You mean to say a person does better in the desert than opposed to -35 weather?

:rofl: Had this 'discussion' before.

Have you ever been in -35 weather for any amount of time, even fully dressed in a parka? Any exposed skin gets frostbite within minutes, then you lose the finger or toe.

Let's take a mediate example. -30 vs +40. In +40 weather we're going to say the person can wear shorts and tshirt, same way the person on -30 can wear long pants, gloves and a jacket.The person in the heat can live for over four days, without water before dying of dehydration. But let's say the person can eat and drink normally in both extremes.

I was out doing my walks in -35 weather the other day. I had on two pairs of pants, two shirts, two pairs of socks, two fleeces (like hoodies), a winter jacket, two pairs of gloves and a toque. I actually started wearing a hat this year for the first time. So look at me all bundled up.

I had to come back into the house after 20 minutes (lots of snow) because my fingers, toes and nose started burning and tingling. A precursor to frostbite.

Now let's go one step further, I gotta take the bus, or walk somewhere in the same weather. No house to come back into. Another step...let's say I can't get anywhere indoors in the next 24 hours. Hypothermia will kill me.

Now imagine you're out during your hottest day. What is it in Virginia...90, 100 degrees F? If you had to walk let's say from the marina back to your house and it's 5 miles, you would make it. Now let's say we allow that you are dressed for the weather, meaning shorts and a tshirt. (same way I get all of those clothes above and winter jacket with gloves)

You're going to sweat and have an itchy asscrack, no doubt. But you can't seriously say or endorse the saying 'you can always warm up', when you've never spent even an hour in extreme cold. Your house barely reaches an indoor temp of over 70F in that weather because of how insulation works against extreme cold.

People who live here know this...you rarely are able to stay indoors for over a week in -35 weather. You have to go out and start cars, clear walks, get food, go to work....and that's assuming your vehicle always works and you're not away from it or an indoor place for over 10 minutes.

I've had the luxury of living in both sides of the thermometer. No joke when I said I've played football and worked in a warehouse in over 90F heat.

A person could never stand outside for three hours doing anything in -35.

Hold up there, Home slice.. :lol:

I'm not comparing anything to Virginia.. I'm comparing extremes here. You cant live in the desert without protection either. (hats, water, etc). 125 degrees will KILL your ass as well. Now granted cold is going to be quicker without protection, but that doesn't downplay the seriousness of heat. A stroke is nothing to scoff at. At -35 you can put on another coat or some goggles.. At 125 you cant take off but so many clothes, without an A/C or a fan and some water your ass will die as well. Both are extremes .

Teh One Who Knocks
01-02-2018, 09:19 PM
I've been in -40° weather before, makes you feel alive :thumbsup:

Muddy
01-02-2018, 09:21 PM
As far as Virginia go's.. Our range are about at maximums @ -5 to +107F or -20 to 42C

Actually heres a little chart for us.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2zfrj7s.png

Hal-9000
01-02-2018, 09:25 PM
Hold up there, Home slice.. :lol:

I'm not comparing anything to Virginia.. I'm comparing extremes here. You cant live in the desert without protection either. (hats, water, etc). 125 degrees will KILL your ass as well. Now granted cold is going to be quicker without protection, but that doesn't downplay the seriousness of heat. A stroke is nothing to scoff at. At -35 you can put on another coat or some goggles.. At 125 you cant take off but so many clothes, without an A/C or a fan and some water your ass will die as well. Both are extremes .

I caught your gist and see your implication above. I'm comparing extremes too. And while this is not directed at you, it's directed at people who have never had to actually live in extreme cold. Their comments are asinine at best because they're inaccurate. I won't even say that we should agree to disagree. There are facts. A person can survive in extreme heat days longer than a person can in extreme cold. Do we really need to say more?

When a person says you can always put on more clothes, did you read my list above? That was for doing the walks around my house, not working or playing in the cold.

And I agree...in extreme heat lack of water will kill you. After a few days. But when you throw that condition in there (no water for the hot guy) , that's like me saying the cold guy can't wear gloves. If and when you ever step outside in weather that's -30 or lower, let's revisit this conversation :thumbsup:

Remember, I'm not saying extreme heat is wonderful. I'm saying one extreme is far worse than the other in terms of tolerance and death.

Muddy
01-02-2018, 09:31 PM
Imma tell you what.. Its going to be below freezing here for about a week and it blows! :lol:

I was in the garage fixing the heat last night because the condensation line off the heat was frozen under the house and wouldn't drain so water was backing up in the gas fan and faulting out the unit..

I have it diverted to a cooler in the garage for now.. I dump it twice a day..

Hal-9000
01-02-2018, 09:32 PM

Worst I encountered was living in Banff when the windchill drove the temp down to -40 one night. We walked two blocks to Safeway and the heel of my boot cracked from the cold, tore my sock and I had a blue foot covered in blood when I took it all off at my apartment.

The wind is what gets me in the sub -30 temps. You can't even put your face into it without a mask.

Muddy
01-02-2018, 09:34 PM

Im going to say about -5 or -10 for me... But including wind chill it could be more..

Hal-9000
01-02-2018, 09:35 PM
Imma tell you what.. Its going to be below freezing here for about a week and it blows! :lol:

I was in the garage fixing the heat last night because the condensation line off the heat was frozen under the house and wouldn't drain so water was backing up in the gas fan and faulting out the unit..

I have it diverted to a cooler in the garage for now.. I dump it twice a day..

Well this is it, isn't it? It's all what a person is accustomed to. :lol:

When a lifelong Canadian starts telling you living in -30 can be dangerous, and another Canadian chimes in and says - I can't even imagine -30 weather :lol: ...there's a message.

Same way I would probably die in +40 weather (figuratively), because my body is just not acclimatized to that kind of weather.

Wild...your temp chart says Virginians reached -30 one year. You guys must have been lighting houses on fire :lol:

Muddy
01-02-2018, 09:37 PM
Well this is it, isn't it? It's all what a person is accustomed to. :lol:

When a lifelong Canadian starts telling you living in -30 can be dangerous, and another Canadian chimes in and says - I can't even imagine -30 weather :lol: ...there's a message.

Same way I would probably die in +40 weather (figuratively), because my body is just not acclimatized to that kind of weather.

Wild...your temp chart says Virginians reached -30 one year. You guys must have been lighting houses on fire :lol:

Our winter and summer seasons are extremes relative to each other.. We arent the hottest or coldest or Earth but we definitely have a huge range. When I read these stories I feel like I can relate.. I haven't seen the worst, but I've had a good taste.

Hal-9000
01-02-2018, 09:54 PM
Our winter and summer seasons are extremes relative to each other.. We arent the hottest or coldest or Earth but we definitely have a huge range. When I read these stories I feel like I can relate.. I haven't seen the worst, but I've had a good taste.

One thing I hate is that we used to get four predefined seasons...like postcard definitions. Spring would feature rain showers, flowers and buds blooming. Summer would continue that idea without much rain, and the temps would stay in the 70-95F range. We'd get a few weeks of hot weather midsummer. Then fall would hit, lower temps, leaves dropping from the trees. Then winter would hit but it would be a gradual accumulation of snow over two months, some storms throughout, the odd Chinook ( temps would go above zero for a few days and melt some snow ) and then a gradual melting approaching spring.

Now it's one night of snow dumping over a foot at once (like I've pictured here), and instant cold weather. Snow will cover our ground and roads until late April....then one day in May or June the temperature will go up to 90F and it's instant summer :lol:

ffs there is no seasonal subtlety anymore. Spring and fall are just ideas now.

Muddy
01-02-2018, 09:55 PM
What is your average temp for your town? (google it)

Mine is 58.75°F average out over the year.

Hal-9000
01-02-2018, 10:07 PM
What is your average temp for your town? (google it)

Mine is 58.75°F average out over the year.

I can't find a yearly average. We get very little rain to the point where it's a big deal to get a rain shower in the summer. We gets tons of sunlight, one of the highest in all of Canada.

Our stats are a little wonky because we've had three really warm winters in a row leading up to this one. This one is predicted to be the worst in the 10 years, which doesn't mean much because we used to get much worse winters when I was a kid growing up. (more snow, colder low average).

:lol: I'm looking at a site called Weather Spark and I can't say it's accurate. "Calgary weather is rarely below -13°F or above 86°F. " and then " The cold season lasts for 3.7 months, from November 17 to March 8"

It actually lasts from October to April, with snow in September and snow in May. In fact we've had snow in every month :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-02-2018, 10:45 PM
Worst I encountered was living in Banff when the windchill drove the temp down to -40 one night. We walked two blocks to Safeway and the heel of my boot cracked from the cold, tore my sock and I had a blue foot covered in blood when I took it all off at my apartment.

The wind is what gets me in the sub -30 temps. You can't even put your face into it without a mask.

Straight cold never bothered me all the years I lived in Vermont. We would always have the stretches of -20F to -35F weather every winter. Usually for a week or three, but never usually longer than that. I miss that sometimes. But like you said about the wind, that just makes it unbearable, especially because with the humidity, the wind blows right thru you and when you get wind chills in the -50F to -60F range, it is seriously dangerous to be outside and have any skin exposed.

Im going to say about -5 or -10 for me... But including wind chill it could be more..

Like I just said above, I never minded straight cold, but wind chill is a whole 'nother animal.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-02-2018, 10:46 PM
Of course with all that said, after living in Colorado for 25 years, going back to Vermont and -30F weather would kill me now, not used to it at all anymore :lol:

Hal-9000
01-02-2018, 10:57 PM
Of course with all that said, after living in Colorado for 25 years, going back to Vermont and -30F weather would kill me now, not used to it at all anymore :lol:

Sure, and you did mention -50 or 60 would be tough on the skin. You only need to be in -35 for less than three minutes before frostbite starts. We have the skin warnings on the radio constantly when the temps go below -30.

Granted most people don't get caught for half an hour outside in weather like that who aren't wearing facemasks and scarves :lol:

Like my Pops said - Once it gets down past -20, it's all just degrees of how much you can take. I tend not to wear a facemask and always wonder - What happens if I get stuck outside?

It happened to me and a friend when it was about -25. His truck broke down, no cell phones, no extra weather gear...and we walked for about an hour before a stranger let us in their house to use their phone to get a ride. We were on a main road similar to a ring road, where we could see the city and residential areas, but had to walk a long way to get to one.

The Monk
01-03-2018, 04:25 AM
Why don't you all just migrate to Australia - we have weathers to suit all tastes... :lol:

Hal-9000
01-03-2018, 04:50 PM
Why don't you all just migrate to Australia - we have weathers to suit all tastes... :lol:

So do we have to commit a crime to get a work visa? :lol:

You have no idea how many people from North America want to move to your home..

Muddy
01-03-2018, 04:58 PM
Not me, baby.. Too many snakes and bullshit..

Hal-9000
01-03-2018, 05:13 PM

Did you see the post about my old coworker Harv, who has a daughter living down there?

In one day he encountered a spider, a snake and got warned off this little beach because of stinging jellyfish.

He comes back and says - It's all true, it's all true :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-03-2018, 05:14 PM
Did you see the post about my old coworker Harv, who has a daughter living down there?

In one day he encountered a spider, a snake and got warned off this little beach because of stinging jellyfish.

He comes back and says - It's all true, it's all true :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/z9aKeWr.jpg

Muddy
01-03-2018, 05:22 PM
Yeah, fuck all that..

The Monk
01-04-2018, 01:44 AM
So do we have to commit a crime to get a work visa? :lol: - Do you mean like electing a knob? - That was criminal we reckon.

You have no idea how many people from North America want to move to your home..

Once you get rid of a certain someone, you will all be welcome with open arms. If you come now you will only be laughed at for your electoral process.... :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
01-04-2018, 04:57 PM
Once you get rid of a certain someone, you will all be welcome with open arms. If you come now you will only be laughed at for your electoral process.... :mrgreen:

Not sure what you're on about, I'm Canadian. Do you know how we handle our politicians? We usually ignore them :lol:

Muddy
01-04-2018, 05:03 PM
Not sure what you're on about.

He has Trump Derangement Syndrome, pay him no mind when he starts that shit.

Hal-9000
01-04-2018, 05:08 PM
There was a census lineage article saying that at one point in time, a majority percentage of Australians were descended from a bloodline containing criminals.

I know if I lived there, I may get tired of the stereotype. But is there any truth to the idea?

It's kind of fascinating :lol:

The Monk
01-05-2018, 04:04 AM
Not sure what you're on about, I'm Canadian. Do you know how we handle our politicians? We usually ignore them :lol:

Welcome to Australia Canadian.... :lol:

The Monk
01-05-2018, 04:20 AM
There was a census lineage article saying that at one point in time, a majority percentage of Australians were descended from a bloodline containing criminals.

I know if I lived there, I may get tired of the stereotype. But is there any truth to the idea?

The convict settlement of Australia is now considered a proud heritage. Back in the days that the POMs sent convicts to Australia (transportation was the sentence), many crimes were extremely petty.

Many convicts were transported for petty crimes, while a significant number were political prisoners. More serious crimes, such as rape and murder, were punishable by death, and therefore not transportable offences.

Today we are a melting pot of races from all over (not always a good thing) but in the main Australia has benefitted.

There is little mention today of convict descendants but there are places where there are records to search your heritage if you so desire and many have done so to prove and claim descendancy from the transportees..

Transportation started to Australia as it was put to an end sending them to America with the outbreak of the War of Independence - little is heard about Americans descended from transportees.....

Convicts came with the first fleet to arrive in Australia in 1788 (Botany Bay NSW) and ended with the last ship to Western Australia in 1868.

I wonder if any of our American friends can trace heritage to transportees from Britain... :?:

Hal-9000
01-05-2018, 07:38 PM
Getting shipped off to Australia for a crime wouldn't be much of a punishment for me :-k

As long as my penile colony was on Bondi Beach :naughty:

Muddy
01-05-2018, 07:42 PM
I wonder if any of our American friends can trace heritage to transportees from Britain... :?:

We could give a shit. Why are you so concerned with us Americans?

Noilly Pratt
01-05-2018, 08:48 PM
True fact - some relative in my great-grandfather's era (not him, but an uncle or something - named Earnest) was a "horsethief" as the document I found said, and was transported to Australia.

Knew about this because this fact was unearthed when my brother was applying to become a cop - they check back!

Found out more info when researching the family tree - corresponded with a very distant relative to help complete each other's trees a few years back. There's still gaps but I can go back to the 1600's in England.

The Monk
01-06-2018, 03:15 AM
True fact - some relative in my great-grandfather's era (not him, but an uncle or something - named Earnest) was a "horsethief" as the document I found said, and was transported to Australia.

Knew about this because this fact was unearthed when my brother was applying to become a cop - they check back!

Found out more info when researching the family tree - corresponded with a very distant relative to help complete each other's trees a few years back. There's still gaps but I can go back to the 1600's in England.

To find such history in your family tree must be very exciting! :lol:

The Monk
01-06-2018, 03:18 AM
We could give a shit. Why are you so concerned with us Americans?

Innocent question of curiosity I thought. Few Americans I would have thought were even aware that the POMs were using the country as a prison for their outcasts... :lol:

The Monk
01-06-2018, 03:19 AM

Hopefully you can read this Hal.... It was in our local newspaper this morning and I thought you may be interested.

https://i.imgur.com/xaI2dF2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OiNn9nC.jpg

lost in melb.
01-07-2018, 03:07 AM
Nice pix Hal! I think super cold probably has hot weather beat in terms of overall inconvenience, however our bushfires are a bit of an equalizer. That can be pretty scary shit.

redred
01-07-2018, 03:09 AM
Btw the cricket can do one so fuck off :lol:

lost in melb.
01-07-2018, 03:10 AM

Stick to the swap. Our Kangas would bash you :hand:

Hal-9000
01-07-2018, 04:43 PM
Nice pix Hal! I think super cold probably has hot weather beat in terms of overall inconvenience, however our bushfires are a bit of an equalizer. That can be pretty scary shit.

I've been trying to politely say that temperatures below -30 can be a lot more than an inconvenience :lol: I think it may be falling on deaf ears. Since that environment often kills cars, you have to imagine walking somewhere in it to understand the potential danger. 30 minutes is a long time and could hurt a person.

And looking at my pics, or a 100 times worse scenario like what's happening in Boston...cold weather/snow can close roads within a city.

Imagine you're coming home from work one night and every road to your home has been closed because two feet of snow fell and some of the roads are impassable within the city. You either find a hotel or sit in your car trying to keep warm until the gas runs out...

And yes bushfires must be a horrible thing to endure, I can't imagine. Knowing my luck the bushfire would force all of the poisonous snakes and spiders to stampede right at my ass in a group :lol:

Hal-9000
01-07-2018, 04:45 PM
Hopefully you can read this Hal.... It was in our local newspaper this morning and I thought you may be interested.

https://i.imgur.com/xaI2dF2.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/OiNn9nC.jpg

You guys still get newspapers? :-s

*crumples up newspaper to stoke fire*

Thanks, I can see most of the article and it's very interesting :thumbsup:

The Monk
01-11-2018, 02:09 AM

I think the yanks can outdo us on bushfires.... look at California .

The Monk
01-11-2018, 02:13 AM
Btw the cricket can do one so fuck off :lol:

Follow the cricket do you Red?

https://i.imgur.com/l4QBPlS.jpg

redred
01-11-2018, 07:28 AM
What sport monk ? Never heard of it :lol:

lost in melb.
01-26-2018, 12:20 PM
I've been trying to politely say that temperatures below -30 can be a lot more than an inconvenience :lol: I think it may be falling on deaf ears. Since that environment often kills cars, you have to imagine walking somewhere in it to understand the potential danger. 30 minutes is a long time and could hurt a person.

And looking at my pics, or a 100 times worse scenario like what's happening in Boston...cold weather/snow can close roads within a city.

Imagine you're coming home from work one night and every road to your home has been closed because two feet of snow fell and some of the roads are impassable within the city. You either find a hotel or sit in your car trying to keep warm until the gas runs out...

And yes bushfires must be a horrible thing to endure, I can't imagine. Knowing my luck the bushfire would force all of the poisonous snakes and spiders to stampede right at my ass in a group :lol:

I'm surprised that many more of you don't die, tbh. A few hundred years of Darwin? :lol:

Hal-9000
01-26-2018, 04:53 PM
I'm surprised that many more of you don't die, tbh. A few hundred years of Darwin? :lol:

Finally :lol:

We've taken a lot of history in school about the Eskimos/Inuit/Second Nations? people who live north of us. Their entire lives are spent living in that white landscape of constant snow and ice. I'm not talking about the summer Tundra Eskimos who get to see land for a couple of weeks every year, I'm talking about the people who live in igloos 24/7 and a nice day is only -25 with light snow flurries...

I only have one question - Why the fck? :lol:

Muddy
01-26-2018, 05:55 PM
I think the yanks can outdo us on bushfires.... look at California .

We can outdo you all in anything.

lost in melb.
01-27-2018, 04:17 AM

Per capita? :hand:

The Monk
01-27-2018, 05:38 AM

You sure can...... look at Trump for an example. We've never been able to foist a dickhead like that on our people.... :lol:

RBP
01-27-2018, 05:50 AM
You sure can...... look at Trump for an example. We've never been able to foist a dickhead like that on our people.... :lol:

I know right. It would suck for you to have a billionaire leader being accused of cutting taxes as a foolhardy stunt while running big deficits. Oh, wait... muh bad.

RBP
01-27-2018, 06:06 AM
At least you don't have the same... shit, that too?

https://i.imgur.com/ICTXTLI.jpg?1

KevinD
01-27-2018, 06:17 AM

I dunno. Spent a bit of time down there a bit ago. All the mates I met then absolutely hated (in their words) the bitch PM y’all had then: Julia Gillard. I heard so much shite about her when I was there that I looked her up. Y’all got no room at all to talk.

lost in melb.
01-27-2018, 07:47 AM

I know right. It would suck for you to have a billionaire leader being accused of cutting taxes as a foolhardy stunt while running big deficits. Oh, wait... muh bad.

He has a point. Our politicians are absolutely pathetic

lost in melb.
01-27-2018, 07:49 AM
I dunno. Spent a bit of time down there a bit ago. All the mates I met then absolutely hated (in their words) the bitch PM y’all had then: Julia Gillard. I heard so much shite about her when I was there that I looked her up. Y’all got no room at all to talk.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJ9ghTtW8AEIr6R.jpg

lost in melb.
01-27-2018, 08:04 AM
Keating was our Trump. Crass, uncompromising, combative and plain speaking - with an actual vision for the country (like it or hate it).

He also won an 'unwinnable election' amidst a polarized electorate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1Ivp-A413A

KevinD
01-27-2018, 08:30 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CJ9ghTtW8AEIr6R.jpg

I do have some pics. NoNE right now, but went from 2 hours drive NE from Momba. Don't remember the station name, but it was when yall were flooding. Even the outback was green. We hung out at the station for a few days waiting for the river to go down so we could cross.

KevinD
01-27-2018, 08:44 AM
Lost, here's what I could dig up quickly from that trip. I have many more pics, but dammed if I can find them right now. <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s450.photobucket.com/user/kmdracer/embed/slideshow/Australia"></iframe>

The Monk
01-27-2018, 10:12 AM

No denying her.... she lied and broke promises and was dumped by her party.

At least our political parties have the guts to get rid of shithouse leaders... :lol:

The Monk
01-27-2018, 10:14 AM
Lost, here's what I could dig up quickly from that trip. I have many more pics, but dammed if I can find them right now. <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s450.photobucket.com/user/kmdracer/embed/slideshow/Australia"></iframe>

You should visit again..... Aussies still want to dump our PM. :lol:

lost in melb.
01-27-2018, 10:25 AM

Ah, that really makes me homesick. The true outback!

Here's a couple from our property.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/Nn8Xm"><a href="//imgur.com/Nn8Xm"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>...

We have an old shack and are building another house, but I won't post pics for fear giving away my identity. They'd disbar me for sure :roll:

lost in melb.
01-27-2018, 10:57 AM
Another formidable, this time from the right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVIOmU3l0Zo

RBP
01-27-2018, 01:36 PM
No denying her.... she lied and broke promises and was dumped by her party.

At least our political parties have the guts to get rid of shithouse leaders... :lol:

But your parties can change the PM because you have a parliamentary system. Parties have no ability to remove a President in our system except by impeachment for serious crimes or if he's incapacitated.

The Monk
01-27-2018, 11:09 PM
But your parties can change the PM because you have a parliamentary system. Parties have no ability to remove a President in our system except by impeachment for serious crimes or if he's incapacitated.

Be patient! :lol:

Muddy
01-27-2018, 11:21 PM
Be patient! :lol:

You're fuggin delusional dude.

The Monk
02-01-2018, 02:39 AM
You're fuggin delusional dude.

It makes my retirement more interesting,... :lol: