PDA

View Full Version : Employees at some Tim Hortons reportedly see benefits cut over minimum wage hike

Teh One Who Knocks
01-04-2018, 11:25 AM
FOX News

https://i.imgur.com/MXodPWw.jpg

Employees who work at Tim Hortons locations in Canada owned by the co-founders’ children will reportedly see their benefits reduced along with paid breaks over the country’s $2.40 increase to minimum wage.

The Toronto Star reported Wednesday that employees at some of the Canadian-based coffee chain’s stores received a letter about the policy changes.

The letter from Jeri Horton-Joyce and Ron Joyce Jr. reportedly informed the employees that they will need to pay for a portion of their dental and health benefits.
"These changes are due to the increase of wages to $14.00 minimum wage on January 1, 2018, then $15.00 per hour on January 1, 2019, as well as the lack of assistance and financial help from our Head Office and from the Government," the letter read.

The employee break will also reportedly no longer be compensated. The report said that workers who pull a nine-hour shift will be compensated for eight hours and 20 minutes.

CBC News reported that some customers are considering boycotting the chain over the decision.

"I feel that we are getting the raw end of the stick," one employee told CBC News.

Tim Hortons issued a statement to CBC News, stating, "Almost all of our restaurants in Canada are independently owned and operated by small business Owners who are responsible for handling all employment matters, including all policies for benefits and wages, for their restaurants."

deebakes
01-04-2018, 11:49 PM
:shocker:

Godfather
01-05-2018, 03:21 AM
Not sure how I feel about this, but I do believe this is going to be a fart in the wind compared to the threat of AI destroying some of the largest job markets in our countries (i.e. trucking)

deebakes
01-05-2018, 03:21 AM
:excellent:

Hal-9000
01-05-2018, 06:08 PM
If every Tims worker in this city walked out for three days...it would cripple store profits.

These places are busier than gas stations. There's always someone purchasing throughout every hour they're open.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-05-2018, 06:21 PM
My problem is with people like the person who wrote the Tweet in the OP. Whining to everyone about the company making money. Well, if that bothers you, you can either (A) quit your job and go work somewhere else, or (B) start your own company if you think it's that easy.

Hal-9000
01-05-2018, 06:30 PM
My problem is with people like the person who wrote the Tweet in the OP. Whining to everyone about the company making money. Well, if that bothers you, you can either (A) quit your job and go work somewhere else, or (B) start your own company if you think it's that easy.

I think he has a point when it comes to basic needs like being paid for every hour you work and reasonable benefits.

That being said the first thing I thought of in response was - Well there's a reason they cleared millions last year :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-05-2018, 06:40 PM
I think he has a point when it comes to basic needs like being paid for every hour you work and reasonable benefits.

That being said the first thing I thought of in response was - Well there's a reason they cleared millions last year :lol:

It doesn't say that they won't get paid for every hour they work :slap:

It says they just won't be paying for breaks any longer, so you will be getting 30 minutes worth of breaks during your shift, you just won't get paid for them any longer. I'm assuming that is in line with provincial law. Here in Colorado they wouldn't be able to do that because in certain industries (such as the service industry like Tim Hortons) the state requires that employees be given so many paid breaks based on the hours worked. However, in an industry like I'm in (manufacturing) Colorado doesn't require breaks at all (other than at least 30 minutes for lunch, unpaid), paid or otherwise.

Hal-9000
01-05-2018, 07:11 PM
You knew what I meant and still hit me :(

I worked in a manufacturing/storage environment where we didn't get paid for a lunch break, but morning and afternoon breaks were not docked.

We had some funny things with a time clock and getting ripped off for quarter hours before and after regular start/finish times, but it's too much to get into here.

When I see the parent company reversing policy and cutting benefits, it hits way too close to home.

"the report said that workers who pull a nine-hour shift will be compensated for eight hours and 20 minutes." That change may cause some employees to quit. It may sound minor to us, but sometimes those two 15 minute breaks are a big thing with employees. I think a company like Tims can afford to pay for the break times.

deebakes
01-06-2018, 03:23 AM
it was a benefit before the costs of employment went up... do these people not realize that their pay for 'X' amount more per hour is likely greater than what they used to make when the breaks were paid? :?