PDA

View Full Version : Sociologist calls for more abortion-based comedy

Teh One Who Knocks
01-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Toni Airaksinen, New York Campus Correspondent - Campus Reform

https://i.imgur.com/RiSqQNM.jpg

A sociologist at the University of California, San Francisco wants more comedians to joke about abortion, calling it “new ground” for television comedies to address.

The argument was made by Gretchen Sisson, PhD, a sociologist at the UCSF research group Advancing New Standards in Reproductive Health (ANSIRH), where she focuses on “representations of abortion and reproductive decision making in popular culture.”

In line with her research at the ANSIRH, Sisson just published an article in the new issue of the journal Feminist Media Studies arguing that the use of “abortion plotlines” in television shows could be a valuable tool to help “destigmatize” abortion.

"The purpose of including an abortion plotline is simply to make jokes about abortion, recognizing that such satire is valuable for some people as both a means and an end,” Sisson explains.

“This should not be surprising: comedy has often been used as a subversive way of challenging predominant social structures,” she adds, arguing that because comedy has a history of challenging taboo social issues, abortion “is even intuitive new ground for comedy to address.”

Not only could an abortion plotline be “funny,” but it could also help encourage mainstream support for abortion access because television can have a strong influence on popular culture, Sisson speculates, citing for example the rise of feminist and pro-abortion iconography based around the Hulu show The Handmaid’s Tale.

“The inclusion of abortion stories on shows other than dramas will only increase the diversity of real and inspired stories that are told, expanding our culture’s idea of appropriate ways to experience and share a full range of reproductive choices,” she contends.

Sisson concludes that “while abortion rights advocates may have little hope of policy advancement on a federal level—and, indeed, justifiable fear of regressive policies related to access and funding—the potential of popular culture to communicate new, progressive, feminist stories about abortion, rooted in reproductive justice, is real and urgent.”

Although this is her first article for Feminist Media Studies, Sisson argued in a different journal two years ago that watching the film After Tiller, a documentary about third-trimester abortions, could be used to fight “misinformation” and increase “support for legal third-trimester abortion access.”

Campus Reform reached out to Sisson for comment, but did not receive a response in time for publication.

DemonGeminiX
01-04-2018, 06:03 PM
Baby murder's not funny, asshole.

RBP
01-04-2018, 09:10 PM
Up until today, I have believed that nobody was "pro-abortion". This wackjob may be the closest I have seen. "Legal access to third trimester abortions". Um. Wow. Why stop at 3rd trimester? Give the mother a solid year after birth to decide if the child should live or die.

The zero limits people are every bit as nutty as the zero abortion people. No offense if any of you are the latter, but that train left the station long ago.

You can use BC or use contraceptive methods. If you don't or they fail, you can take plan B. If you fuck that up also, you have 20 weeks (currently 22 maybe?) to make a decision. How many options do you need? That seems like more than enough opportunity to make life choices.

deebakes
01-05-2018, 12:04 AM
http://i63.tinypic.com/mipfrl.jpg

Hal-9000
01-05-2018, 06:17 PM
Up until today, I have believed that nobody was "pro-abortion". This wackjob may be the closest I have seen. "Legal access to third trimester abortions". Um. Wow. Why stop at 3rd trimester? Give the mother a solid year after birth to decide if the child should live or die.

The zero limits people are every bit as nutty as the zero abortion people. No offense if any of you are the latter, but that train left the station long ago.

You can use BC or use contraceptive methods. If you don't or they fail, you can take plan B. If you fuck that up also, you have 20 weeks (currently 22 maybe?) to make a decision. How many options do you need? That seems like more than enough opportunity to make life choices.

Agree with this.

I was just on a site hoping to get some info and the discussion degenerated into a huge fight about how long nine months is in weeks. Then the fight progressed to when your conception date starts. Then they squabbled about actually being pregnant for ten months.

I forgot why I was there.

RBP
01-05-2018, 11:46 PM
Agree with this.

I was just on a site hoping to get some info and the discussion degenerated into a huge fight about how long nine months is in weeks. Then the fight progressed to when your conception date starts. Then they squabbled about actually being pregnant for ten months.

I forgot why I was there.

After I made that smart as remark about abortion after birth, I actually saw a video of a guy arguing that abortion should extend beyond birth because, since the infant can't talk, it isn't sentient.

I don't even know how you have a discussion with that as the base.

If you are in that arena, ask them what Roe V Wade says in the US. I promise you, they don't understand that it allows abortion ONLY until the fetus is viable outside the womb.

Hal-9000
01-07-2018, 05:12 PM
After I made that smart as remark about abortion after birth, I actually saw a video of a guy arguing that abortion should extend beyond birth because, since the infant can't talk, it isn't sentient.

I don't even know how you have a discussion with that as the base.

If you are in that arena, ask them what Roe V Wade says in the US. I promise you, they don't understand that it allows abortion ONLY until the fetus is viable outside the womb.

As I get older, I'm trying to avoid discussions with certain groups of people. I suspect that it actually sucks IQ points when you engage imbeciles :lol:

My brief take on the subject is standard. There should be a choice allowed up to a certain amount of weeks into the first trimester.

Hal-9000
01-07-2018, 05:17 PM
Oh and relevant to the thread content, I don't think we need to see more comedy/jokes on the subject.

An abortion can often be a traumatic event and trying to lessen the impact with humor belittles the person going through it.

I've known girls who have had the process multiple times and consider it a post conception form of contraception. And I know a girl who had one in high school and still thinks about it 30 years later.

We can't lessen or strengthen the impact on something that subjective to the individual.