PDA

View Full Version : H&M apologizes for 'Coolest Monkey' sweatshirt ad featuring black child

Teh One Who Knocks
01-10-2018, 12:30 PM
By Michael Bartiromo | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/NVBR9jM.jpg

H&M was forced to offer an apology on Monday after posting an online advertisement featuring a black child modeling a sweatshirt reading “Coolest Monkey in the Jungle.”

“We sincerely apologize for offending people with this image of a printed hooded top. The image has been removed from all online channels and the product will not be for sale in the United States,” wrote H&M in a statement obtained by Fox News. “We believe in diversity and inclusion in all that we do and will be reviewing all our internal policies accordingly to avoid any future issues.”

Outrage over the ad bubbled up on Sunday, after social media users noticed that H&M’s U.K. website was advertising this particular hooded sweatshirt using a young black child, while other sweatshirts from the same line were advertised on white models.

Social media users on Twitter soon began accusing the brand of racism, and even profiting from any resulting online backlash this incident may cause. One woman, who said she had worked for H&M, claimed the Sweden-based retailer is sometimes “clueless” to issues of “racism, cultural & social challenges.”
Other users took further issue with H&M using a white child to model a hoodie from the same line — featuring text reading “survival expert” and “junior tour guide” — and alleging that it was a deliberate move to pair those children in with their sweaters.
However, a couple of commenters defended the brand. One believed that people who were outraged by the hoodie were “looking to be offended,” while another alleged that those same people were reading something into the sweatshirt’s message that H&M didn’t intend.
Many others also called for a boycott of H&M entirely, and R&B artist The Weeknd — who partnered with the retailer on a line of apparel — announced he would no longer be working with the company via a tweet he posted on Monday afternoon.
H&M has since removed the offending image from its website, although the sweater, which retails for 7.99 pounds, is still available for purchase on its U.K site.

The outrage over H&M’s advertisement follows several similar incidents involving major brands in recent months. In early October, Dove apologized for “missing the mark” with a Facebook ad for body wash, which showed a black woman removing her top to reveal a white woman underneath. And later that month, Nivea was accused of racism after promoting a skin cream for “visibly fairer skin” in several African countries.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-10-2018, 12:31 PM
However, a couple of commenters defended the brand. One believed that people who were outraged by the hoodie were “looking to be offended,” while another alleged that those same people were reading something into the sweatshirt’s message that H&M didn’t intend.

:winner:

Goofy
01-10-2018, 12:41 PM
*sniggers*

Teh One Who Knocks
01-10-2018, 01:02 PM
*sniggers*

:racist:

RBP
01-10-2018, 01:05 PM
Seriously. They sit around looking for things to bitch about.

But nobody reacted to Christmas package thieves being called "porch pirates". Well, I did... with laughter. :lol:

Muddy
01-10-2018, 01:52 PM
So sensitive.. :lol:

Hal-9000
01-10-2018, 07:11 PM
:-k

Wouldn't a way to combat racism be just to let the black kid wear the monkey hoodie without drawing undo attention to it?

Muddy
01-10-2018, 07:15 PM
Let the black kid wear a slave masters outfit and let the white kid wear a dunce hat..

Hal-9000
01-10-2018, 07:21 PM
If I was black I would put a little white make up around my eyes and neck, put a bottle labeled shoe polish in my back pocket, then go out for Halloween :tup:

Muddy
01-10-2018, 07:23 PM
I would fuck every white woman that moved and cry racism every time things didn't go my way.

Hal-9000
01-10-2018, 07:27 PM
I remember...Howard Cosell working a football game and commenting how Art Monk was like a little monkey, after he made a great catch.

Cosell had to apologize because someone found it offensive. When everyone in the sporting world knew Cosell was one of the least bigoted people in the biz.

Different times. He made a statement, then they went right back to doing their thing every week and no one died or went to jail over it...

Muddy
01-10-2018, 07:31 PM
Jimmy the Greek was castigated and thrown out of the stadium for a similar statement.

Hal-9000
01-10-2018, 07:45 PM
Everything is becoming more offensive by the second. At this rate, no one is going to want to comment about anything and conversations across the board will become very sparse and short. Litigation will become the new fear...

PorkChopSandwiches
01-10-2018, 08:17 PM
If they used 2 white kids in that picture then they would bitch about not having any diversity. Don't you think this kids mom saw he shoot?

Muddy
01-10-2018, 08:33 PM
If they used 2 white kids in that picture then they would bitch about not having any diversity. Don't you think this kids mom saw he shoot?

They didnt care, they were happy to be getting more than $15.00 an hour for the day.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-10-2018, 08:41 PM
:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-10-2018, 09:51 PM
https://i.redd.it/yq7w9v1ff8901.jpg

deebakes
01-11-2018, 02:28 AM
too soon bro :(

Hikari Kisugi
01-13-2018, 10:54 AM
The mother of the child took to social media to tell people to get over themselves.

She has subsequently been racially abused.... for not being offended by something that wasn't racial abuse.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/i-was-racially-abused-claims-mother-of-boy-involved-in-handm-hoodie-row/ar-AAuB0Ue?li=AA9SkIr&ocid=spartanntp

Madness.

You can bring the SJW to water, but you can't make them drink.

RBP
01-13-2018, 02:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knqXy9OOJfA

https://i.imgur.com/kLWbypG.png

Clothing brand H&M is dealing with the first major PR nightmare of 2018, with people outraged over a particular hoodie. Some have branded the Swedish retailer 'racist' after a green jumper had the phrase, 'Coolest Monkey In The Jungle' written across the front and a black child wearing it.

While the mother of the boy has told people to 'get over it', it hasn't stopped people across the world calling H&M all the names under the sun.

But people in South Africa have taken their outrage a step further and have absolutely trashed at least four H&M stores.

According to the Daily Mail, bystanders and shoppers ran from the outlet as the protestors gathered, with some wearing red t-shirts. In videos posted on social media, some are seen pulling down racks and tearing clothes from their shelves and throwing them on the ground.

One person wrote on Twitter: "Racism must fall and we will never tip toe around racists."

The affected stores are reportedly closed until further notice.

In an attempt to cool the backlash, H&M obviously took down the hoodie advertisement that started this whole mess, but that hasn't stopped singer The Weeknd from cutting ties with the label.

Rapper P Diddy even offered the kid at the centre of the scandal a $1 million (£730,000) modelling contract for his brand, Sean John.

H&M hasn't had the best experience in Africa in the two years since its first store opened on the continent. The brand was accused of having a lack of diversity, with virtually all the models used for their advertisements being white.

When a person on social media pulled H&M up on the issue, they responded with: "H&M's marketing has a major impact and it is essential for us to convey a positive image. We want our marketing to show our fashion in an inspiring way, to convey a positive feeling.

"Our marketing policy, campaign productions and work is something we constantly discuss internally and with creative professionals. We work with a wide range of models and personalities throughout all our marketing both online, outdoor and in store."

People were confused about the 'positive image' remark, asking H&M if they thought black people conveyed another message.

The company told Huffington Post: "By a positive image we mean that we use a mix of models with different ethnic backgrounds in our campaigns.

"We apologise if we have upset anyone as this wasn't our intention."

Teh One Who Knocks
01-13-2018, 03:44 PM
Exercising their right to protest :tup:

Pony
01-13-2018, 06:40 PM
Exercising their right to protest :tup:

After collecting the insurance payout H&M should exercise their right to close all the stores in areas where they were trashed.

Muddy
01-13-2018, 06:54 PM
After collecting the insurance payout H&M should exercise their right to close all the stores in areas where they were trashed.

Damn right..!

Godfather
01-13-2018, 07:04 PM
Holy shit people trashed the store over this!? That's beyond insane... at worst it was poor taste, but even the kids mom is saying cool your tits. This is out of hand.

RBP
01-13-2018, 07:06 PM
Holy shit people trashed the store over this!? That's beyond insane... at worst it was poor taste, but even the kids mom is saying cool your tits. This is out of hand.

Most faux-outrage pop-culture causes/crisis are completely out of hand right now.

Godfather
01-13-2018, 07:09 PM
Most faux-outrage pop-culture causes/crisis are completely out of hand right now.

You think the crowd was more white or black people :lol: In my imagination it was a bunch of whities with muffin tops and nose rings

Godfather
01-13-2018, 07:16 PM
https://i.redd.it/9jwfeoqjwt901.jpg

Pony
01-13-2018, 08:00 PM

Four stores.

RBP
01-13-2018, 09:18 PM
You think the crowd was more white or black people :lol: In my imagination it was a bunch of whities with muffin tops and nose rings

You're thinking of the crowd screaming about patriarchy, misogyny, and toxic masculinity, while they graduate at higher rates from college, hold more managerial jobs, control more hiring decisions and hire more females, the single ones (so all) make more than their single male peers, live longer, die from suicide less, die in war less, are homeless less, do less dangerous work and die at work less, control all reproductive rights and most custodial rights, all while controlling more than 50% of all wealth.

H&M was all black.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-15-2018, 08:41 PM
https://i.imgur.com/N6pI2mS.jpg