PDA

View Full Version : 'Hey there, white people!': Rice students' Martin Luther King Day satire draws outrage

Teh One Who Knocks
01-16-2018, 11:16 AM
By Caleb Parke | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/hSXmbEl.jpg

A Rice University student newspaper faced condemnation after publishing a "satirical" post aimed at shaming white people on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.

The Rice Thresher typically prints satirical humor on the back page of their paper, Inside Higher Ed reported, but the latest issue, published Wednesday, drew outrage for an ad offering a “guilt-free MLK day pass” coupon.

“Hey there, white people!” the post begins. “We know. You have a day off to celebrate someone who managed to beat your system. Don’t despair – for the low price of eternal shame you can spend these 24 hours doing something productive like beating off in a sock and wondering whatever happened to your 8th grade girlfriend. You’re disgusting.”

The ad was immediately excoriated on social media.

https://i.imgur.com/LzC8aOD.jpg

“I’m guessing this was supposed to be funny – maybe? – from Rice University’s student newspaper?” Clay Travis tweeted. “But if this is written about any other race the campus is covered with protests.”

Rice University tweeted it was “disappointed” with the “offensive attempt at satire, which is contrary to our values,” though the university added it supported a free press.
Two days later, the Thresher staff responded in an editorial defending the satire and criticizing the university’s response.
“We are disheartened that Rice’s administration finds a part of the Backpage intended to target issues of institutional racism and general apathy to be ‘contrary to the values of the university,’” the staff wrote.

The editorial explained the purpose of the “ad” was to get students to focus on Martin Luther King Day as a holiday deserving of reflection rather than just a vacation day without classes.

“The reference to masturbation, of course, is crude, as much of the Backpage’s humor has been in its several decades of existence,” the editorial stated. “The final line, ‘You’re disgusting,’ regards the previous sentence’s reference to ‘beating off into a sock.’ It was not meant to address all white people, which we realize may have been unclear.”
It concluded: “While the progress made since 1963 is undeniable, we still live in a system designed to favor white people at the expense of others.”

Goofy
01-16-2018, 01:36 PM
Racism alive and well, just like MLK wanted! :woot:

Oh wait....... :doh:

RBP
01-16-2018, 02:01 PM
If you read the response from the paper (link in last tweet in OP), they actually doubled down, stating that the university was wrong to state that it was contrary to the university's values.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-16-2018, 02:28 PM
I wonder if it would have been considered "satire" if it would have been reversed? :-k

RBP
01-16-2018, 03:00 PM
I wonder if it would have been considered "satire" if it would have been reversed? :-k

It’s wrong to argue that the reference to race in the “ad” is just as unacceptable as if a minority group were addressed rather than the white majority. This ignores the fact that racism exists in a context, and in this country, the context is the generations of oppression and slavery suffered by one minority at the hands of the majority. Given this fact, a satirical jab at the behavior of many white people cannot be compared to a similar jab at those that have suffered from the brutal history of racism in this country.

:privilege:

Muddy
01-16-2018, 03:05 PM

Exactly. Lets post some black satire and see how it go's over. Plenty of material to choose from. ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
01-16-2018, 04:12 PM

https://i.imgur.com/54Tp6XE.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
01-16-2018, 04:31 PM
wow

Griffin
01-16-2018, 05:27 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CTVLOZmUkAA8i_I.jpg

Hal-9000
01-16-2018, 06:34 PM
If managing to beat the system involves getting shot in the face with a rifle, I guess he won.

:| fuckwits have no idea of the shit they're stirring up right now.

Muddy
01-16-2018, 06:38 PM
Stand down, Honky... :hand:

Hal-9000
01-16-2018, 06:41 PM
Wars have been fought over political ideals, religion, resources, land and mineral rights...and one of the greatest superpower empires is going to be torn apart because of racial and gender discrimination.

The pot is starting to boil..

Teh One Who Knocks
01-16-2018, 06:43 PM
Wars have been fought over political ideals, religion, resources, land and mineral rights...and one of the greatest superpower empires is going to be torn apart because of racial and gender discrimination.

Muddy
01-16-2018, 06:57 PM

:triggered: