PDA

View Full Version : It’s so cold in Russia people’s eyelashes are freezing – it’s -62°C

Teh One Who Knocks
01-16-2018, 11:54 AM
Richard Hartley-Parkinson for Metro.co.uk

https://i.imgur.com/fgdmEvz.jpg
A woman’s eyelashes became frozen because it was so cold (Picture: Siberian Times)

If you think it’s been cold in the UK recently, spare a thought for the people of the village of Oymyakon in Russia.

Temperatures there have dropped to as low as -62°C, according to one thermometer, cold enough to freeze people’s eyelashes.

The official weather station at the ‘pole of cold’ registered minus 59°C, but locals said their readings were as low as minus 67°C – less than 1°C off the lowest accepted temperature for a permanent settlement anywhere in the world, recorded in the same village in 1933.

None of this stopped a group of resilient Chinese visiting Oymyakon from peeling down to their underwear in the blistering conditions and taking a splash in a mysterious pool fed by a spring that never freezes in the village.

They won admiration from local journalist Elena Pototskaya who wrote: ‘Today at the Pole of Cold in Oymyakon – in a 65-degree frost – Chinese tourists swim in the ice-free spring Yeyemu.

https://i.imgur.com/0XJjT22.jpg
Officials say it is -59°C but other people’s thermometers give a different story (Picture: Siberian Times)

https://i.imgur.com/PETieFp.jpg
A very cold-looking bridge (Picture: Siberian Times)

https://i.imgur.com/sdUvGn3.jpg
The area is home to the lowest ever recorded temperature on earth – -67.7°C (Picture: Siberian Times)

‘This does not freeze even in severe frosts in Oymyakon. Horror – us locals are afraid to go out in such a cold. And here … the tourists are swimming …’

Meanwhile, a girl demonstrated the natural mascara that forms in extreme cold.

The digital thermometer was installed last year to help Oymyakon market itself to tourists, but it gave up the ghost at minus 62C.

‘It broke because it was too cold,’ reported The Siberian Times.

Elsewhere life went on as normal in the Siberian freezer.

Video shows an outdoor fish market fully functioning at a temperature of minus 50°C in regional capital Yakutsk, the world’s coldest city.

Resident Vladimir Danilov made the film while going to buy whitefish to make local dish stroganina.

This is a popular dish if indigenous people in northern Siberia – thin slices, eaten raw.

Vladimir admitted: ‘While filming the trading stalls my hands froze to wild pain. And sellers stand here all day long. How do they warm themselves?’

A girl is seen on a video brushing snow from a hardy local Yakut horse in temperatures nudging minus 60°C.

Only one brave cyclist was seen commuting to work in the biting cold spell.

But photographer Petr Chugunov persuaded a ballerina to perform outside in minus 41°C.

In 1933, a temperature of minus 67.7°C was recorded in Oymyakon, accepted as the lowest ever in the northern hemisphere.

Lower temperatures are recorded in Antarctica, but here there are no permanently inhabited settlements.

Goofy
01-16-2018, 01:34 PM
Pffft, that's positively balmy :hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-16-2018, 04:37 PM
Nice eyes :tup:

Hal-9000
01-16-2018, 06:28 PM
Okay so worst walk to school for me was was -38C and our eyelashes used to freeze often, similar to the girl in the picture. Best friend from across the street left with slightly wet hair one morning, put on his toque and some of his hair broke off. When people said no way! He actually saved some of it in his pocket as proof :lol:

I have never experienced weather below -40C and can't even imagine it. At around -30, the air feels like it's burning.

Noilly Pratt
01-16-2018, 07:22 PM
I, as some of you know, used to live in Northern Saskatchewan when I was 6-7 years old. They only closed the schools when it got to 50 below F! I've been knowingly in 48 below and walked to school. Your muscles are actually hurting even with layers and layers of clothing after you hit 40 below. You have to constantly hydrate all day. Our teacher (it was a 3 room schoolhouse) would march us over to the water fountain about every hour.

I remember one particular morning at age 6. My buddy is walking a block away and we can see each other. We yell "hey chicken, what's cooking" at each other, and all the people open their blinds to wonder who would be fool enough to go outside on a day like today. Your breath freezes instantly, the snot in your nose solidifies, making it necessary to mouth-breathe through your scarf. We get to the school and it's closed - snow drifts are blocking the entrance back and front and there's no cars in the lot. It probably was somewhere in mid 50 below.

My brother said, at 60 below and lower, the air crystallizes and you get very dizzy - on the local lake it was even colder. They'd get at least 1 case a year where someone would drive onto the ice and they'd just wander off and be found dead later. One guy was found dead about 2 feet away from his car - it looked like he wandered off, then almost made it back.

No thanks! Never again.

Hal-9000
01-16-2018, 07:30 PM
I, as some of you know, used to live in Northern Saskatchewan when I was 6-7 years old. They only closed the schools when it got to 50 below F! I've been knowingly in 48 below and walked to school. Your muscles are actually hurting even with layers and layers of clothing after you hit 40 below. You have to constantly hydrate all day. Our teacher (it was a 3 room schoolhouse) would march us over to the water fountain about every hour.

I remember one particular morning at age 6. My buddy is walking a block away and we can see each other. We yell "hey chicken, what's cooking" at each other, and all the people open their blinds to wonder who would be fool enough to go outside on a day like today. Your breath freezes instantly, the snot in your nose solidifies, making it necessary to mouth-breathe through your scarf. We get to the school and it's closed - snow drifts are blocking the entrance back and front and there's no cars in the lot. It probably was somewhere in mid 50 below.

My brother said, at 60 below and lower, the air crystallizes and you get very dizzy - on the local lake it was even colder. They'd get at least 1 case a year where someone would drive onto the ice and they'd just wander off and be found dead later. One guy was found dead about 2 feet away from his car - it looked like he wandered off, then almost made it back.

No thanks! Never again.

Yes, some folks don't understand the absolute danger of walking even short distances in super cold environments.

I used to wear a spiderman facemask (blue with red eyeholes and mouthhole) and my eyelashes would get welded to the mask and my mouthole became a big ring of snot-ice because of condensation from my breath.

And you bring up a good point Noilly. People don't realize how dry a cold winter can be. Snow is laying everywhere yet your skin is literally peeling off. Thirst becomes a huge issue because people don't feel like drinking water.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Russians > Canadians

Hal-9000
01-16-2018, 07:34 PM
damn right I tap out at minus 60 :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-16-2018, 07:35 PM
:facepalm:

KevinD
01-16-2018, 08:26 PM
Coldest I've ever personally been in was around -30f, whatever that is in Celsius. That was in South Dakota in 86 iirc. Horrible stuff tbh. Hottest I've ever been was around 145f in the Middle East.

deebakes
01-17-2018, 04:08 AM
you know those iphone headphones aren't functional anymore :lol: