PDA

View Full Version : Amazon names 20 “finalist” cities in its new headquarters beauty pageant

Teh One Who Knocks
01-19-2018, 12:38 PM
Sean Gallagher - ars technica

https://i.imgur.com/Q7fTTfm.jpg

This morning, Amazon posted its list of candidates under serious consideration for the company's second headquarters—a campus that the company expects to invest over $5 billion to build and which will eventually house as many as 50,000 Amazon employees.

"It will be a full equal to our current campus in Seattle," a company spokesperson wrote in the announcement. "In addition to Amazon’s direct hiring and investment, construction and ongoing operation of Amazon HQ2 is expected to create tens of thousands of additional jobs and tens of billions of dollars in additional investment in the surrounding community."

That level of promised economic impact has drawn many state and local governments to craft proposals that would give Amazon rich packages of concessions—in many cases, proposals that have been kept secret from the taxpayers. A total of 238 proposals were submitted by local governments to Amazon after the company announced its continent-wide search for a second home.

Of the finalists, only Toronto is outside the continental US. Only one finalist, Los Angeles, is on the West Coast; Denver, Dallas, and Austin round out the field west of the Mississippi. And most of the finalists are clustered along the Atlantic coast, with the greater Washington DC area accounting for three of them (Washington DC itself, Montgomery County in Maryland, and Northern Virginia).

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos' ownership of the Washington Post may or may not have played a role in this, but it was widely expected that the DC area would be a leading contender for Amazon's expansion—particularly as Amazon and Bezos pay more attention to what's going on at the major DC area employer, the US government.

Many of the other cities on the list already are technology centers (Boston, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, and the DC area). Others are major commerce, shipping, and transportation hubs—New York, Newark, Atlanta, Chicago, Philadelphia, and Nashville (home of a major FedEx facility). But there are a few surprises in the list. Columbus, Ohio is on the list, as well as Indianapolis and Miami.

Hal-9000
01-19-2018, 06:13 PM
Hey!

We were on that list and overlooked!!! Now we didn't even make the candidate list?

man [-(

Teh One Who Knocks
01-19-2018, 06:13 PM
Hey!

We were on that list and overlooked!!! Now we didn't even make the candidate list?

man [-(

:empathy:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-19-2018, 06:14 PM
Hey!

man [-(

You guys still have Toronto in the running :tup:

Hal-9000
01-19-2018, 06:17 PM
I don't order much from Amazon but was pretty impressed with my recent Christmas order.

I ordered a coffee grinder, an electric toothbrush and some electric toothbrush replacement heads. Three items from three different companies.

They all arrived on time, in one box.

:-k Having a background in inventory and warehousing, it's hard to coordinate items from multiple offsite locations so they all arrive the same day. And in the same box.

Hal-9000
01-19-2018, 06:18 PM
You guys still have Toronto in the running :tup:

Toronto isn't part of MY Canada :x

__ - holes...

Teh One Who Knocks
01-19-2018, 06:22 PM
I don't order much from Amazon but was pretty impressed with my recent Christmas order.

I ordered a coffee grinder, an electric toothbrush and some electric toothbrush replacement heads. Three items from three different companies.

They all arrived on time, in one box.

:-k Having a background in inventory and warehousing, it's hard to coordinate items from multiple offsite locations so they all arrive the same day. And in the same box.

They most likely came from the same warehouse if they arrived in one box. For example, you might have bought something from 'Billy Bob's Java Hut' but if it said it was 'fulfilled by Amazon' that means Amazon is stocking it in their warehouse for Billy Bob.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Toronto isn't part of MY Canada :x

__ - holes...

:hater:

Hal-9000
01-19-2018, 06:28 PM
They most likely came from the same warehouse if they arrived in one box. For example, you might have bought something from 'Billy Bob's Java Hut' but if it said it was 'fulfilled by Amazon' that means Amazon is stocking it in their warehouse for Billy Bob.

I assumed that because otherwise the shipping logistics would become a nightmare if the items were physically stored in different locations. I used to coordinate that situation at my old job. No fun.

Hal-9000
01-19-2018, 06:28 PM
:hater:

yes sir

Teh One Who Knocks
01-19-2018, 06:40 PM
Toronto, the epitome of Canada :tup:

Muddy
01-19-2018, 06:40 PM
"Northern Virginia"... :lol: That place is a cluster FUCK..

Hal-9000
01-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Toronto, the epitome of Canada :tup:

Torontonians say that often and that's a big reason why they're also considered the asshole of Canada :lol:

RBP
01-19-2018, 08:36 PM
Can we have a vbookie on this? My money is on Columbus, OH.

Noilly Pratt
01-19-2018, 09:24 PM
If they did Atlanta and Dallas, that would give them great coverage and 2 major airport hubs.

RBP
01-19-2018, 09:26 PM
Also, the 3 sites around DC may be a tell. Not sure.

DemonGeminiX
01-19-2018, 11:33 PM
They don't want to be in Atlanta. If I was them, I would stay far far away from Atlanta.

Pony
01-20-2018, 01:00 AM
Can we have a vbookie on this? My money is on Columbus, OH.

I may be a bit biased but I think that would be a smart choice.

deebakes
01-20-2018, 01:18 AM
it will be one of the three by washington dc :shrug:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-20-2018, 09:58 PM
Also, the 3 sites around DC may be a tell. Not sure.

Yeah, I forgot that dumbass Bezos owns the Post, wouldn't surprise me if he doing this whole dog and pony show and it ends up in DC anyways.

RBP
01-20-2018, 10:07 PM
Here are the Paddy Power betting odds for each of the final 20 locations:

Boston: 3/1
Austin, Texas: 7/2
Atlanta: 7/2
Montgomery County, Maryland: 8/1
Pittsburgh: 8/1
Washington, D.C.: 10/1
Philadelphia: 14/1
New York City: 14/1
Toronto: 14/1
Chicago: 16/1
Denver: 16/1
Newark, New Jersey: 16/1
Columbus, Ohio: 20/1
Los Angeles: 20/1
Nashville: 20/1
Indianapolis: 20/1
Raleigh, North Carolina: 20/1
Dallas: 20/1
Northern Virginia: 20/1
Miami: 20/1

Teh One Who Knocks
01-20-2018, 10:08 PM
:facepalm:

There's already a thread for that

http://www.tehfalloutshelter.com/showthread.php?94666-Which-city-will-be-the-winner-of-Amazon-s-HQ2

RBP
01-20-2018, 10:11 PM
Oh. Thanks! :tup:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-22-2018, 05:18 PM
No way they come to CA with our crazy taxes and hatred for business

Muddy
01-22-2018, 05:38 PM
Fuck Amazon.