PDA

View Full Version : US shutdown: White House changes voicemail to say Democrats 'holding Government hostage'

The Monk
01-22-2018, 06:28 AM
https://us-east-1.tchyn.io/snopes-production/uploads/2016/06/obama-wh-logo.jpg

Callers to the White House have been greeted with an answering machine message saying the phone line is closed because opposition Democrats are "holding Government funding hostage".

The message follows an unsuccessful vote to extend Government funding for a month while a long-term budget bill can be worked out between Republicans and Democrats, who say any bill must include protections for "Dreamers".

The resulting shutdown means non-essential services including major landmarks, many civilian military personnel and White House phone lines are unmanned because wages can not be paid.

The White House has blamed the shutdown on Democrats, calling them "obstructionist losers" and accusing them of being more interested in illegal immigrants than in national security.

"They could easily have made a deal but decided to play shutdown politics instead," President Donald Trump said.

Over the weekend, Americans calling the White House comments line discovered it was repeating this message:

"Thank you for calling the White House. Unfortunately, we cannot answer your call today because congressional Democrats are holding government funding — including funding for our troops and other national security priorities — hostage to an unrelated immigration debate.

Due to this obstruction, the Government is shut down. In the meantime, you can leave a comment for the president at www.whitehouse.gov/contact. We look forward to taking your calls as soon as the Government re-opens."

Recordings of the message were shared on social media along with commentary on what it says about the Trump administration.

ARTICLE (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-22/white-house-answering-message-blames-democrats-shutdown/9348020)

#childish #immature

perrhaps
01-22-2018, 09:58 AM
I guess that we're all supposed to forget that last May President Trump tweeted that he wanted a government shutdown in September, 2017.

redred
01-22-2018, 10:02 AM
so does he still want it now ? I know looking at his past tweets he wanted it to happen on the last one

The Monk
01-22-2018, 03:27 PM
so does he still want it now ? I know looking at his past tweets he wanted it to happen on the last one

Nobody wants a shutdown more than I do." - Unquote!! :lol: