PDA

View Full Version : Welfare for refugees — my, how the U.S. taxpayer does pay

Teh One Who Knocks
02-09-2018, 02:14 PM
By Cheryl K. Chumley - The Washington Times

https://i.imgur.com/gVGR7I6.jpg

Taxpayers in the United States are shelling out a reported $867 million each year to support refugees who’ve been resettled in this country and make sure they have adequate food and clothing and the like.

In the overall federal budgeting scheme, that’s maybe small potatoes. But at the same time, if we’re talking welfare — and we are — then it would seem the more American thing to pay for those already in-country, already legal citizens, before paying for those who are simply visitors.

After all, tax dollars aren’t born from government labors. They come from the taxpayers — they come from the legal citizens. First dibs rightly belong to the citizens.

Yes?

Yes.

But for $867 million each year, that’s not what’s happening.

Instead, what’s happening is the taxpayers are simply shelling out money to these unfortunates without receiving much of anything in terms of national benefit in return. Politicians may get to pat themselves on the back for a job well done — meaning, they spent money they don’t own and didn’t earn on social programs they can point to as evidence of their kind hearts. But at least economically speaking, these refugees don’t seem to be paying their fair shares — a phrase the liberals like to throw about when they whine for higher taxes.

“A new study by the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) reveals that annually, foreign refugees are being given about $867 million in welfare benefits that U.S. taxpayers pay for,” Breitbart wrote. “Every year, taxpayers are billed about $1.8 billion for the full cost of resettling foreign refugees, and after five years, American taxpayers will have spent about $8.8 billion on resettling foreign refugees.”

More than half of the refugees resettled in America — 54 percent — will spend their first five years here working jobs that pay less than $11 per hour. And that means they can’t pay their housing costs, so once again, the taxpayer picks it up. Roughly 15.7 percent of all refugees need housing assistance, the report found.

By the numbers, by 2014 cost-of-living figures, that means all households in America pay out $7,600 to help shelter these refugees.

It’s one thing to be compassionate. It’s another to be frivolous with taxpayer dollars.

Not saying these refugees may not need the assistance — or even be worthy of the aid. But at the expense of citizens already in the United States? Never.

That’s not fair; that’s not just.

And one need only walk down the streets of any inner-city housing area to see there are plenty of citizens here already who could’ve used $867 million.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Perfect

lost in melb.
02-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Not very american, though.

I think whatever number of refugees you take in, you should support ( they may well be more capable than the group they are being compared to, but need assistance to adjust)

If you don't want to shell out, simply take in less.

RBP
02-11-2018, 04:24 PM
Not very american, though.

I think whatever number of refugees you take in, you should support ( they may well be more capable than the group they are being compared to, but need assistance to adjust)

If you don't want to shell out, simply take in less.

But we're racist if we argue for less refugees.

Hal-9000
02-11-2018, 07:03 PM
Gawd this will age me. I still recall meeting the first 'Boat Person' at school in 1979. Vietnamese Boat People were a huge news story and everyone here welcomed them. There wasn't a negative side or stance to the discussion. Actual refugees from the Vietnam war who came to Canada in 1978/79.

We had one guy in our school who could barely say hi. I remember feeling really sorry for him as he sat in our classes all day, probably not understanding anything.

Now the world has turned and people from other countries can be refugees or illegals, depending on their story when they enter the country. Sad abuse of a once sympathetic and positive system.

perrhaps
02-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Gawd this will age me. I still recall meeting the first 'Boat Person' at school in 1979. Vietnamese Boat People were a huge news story and everyone here welcomed them. There wasn't a negative side or stance to the discussion. Actual refugees from the Vietnam war who came to Canada in 1978/79.

We had one guy in our school who could barely say hi. I remember feeling really sorry for him as he sat in our classes all day, probably not understanding anything.

Now the world has turned and people from other countries can be refugees or illegals, depending on their story when they enter the country. Sad abuse of a once sympathetic and positive system.

Living near Fort Indiantown Gap, which has housed Vietnamese boat people, I also remember those days. The Vietnamese (and later Cambodians) who came here wanted to assimilate, worked like Hell and valued education for their children. This resulted in them being valued; productive and in many cases, relatively affluent citizens.

FIG also housed the asshole Cuban refugees that Castro dumped on nitwit Jimmy Carter. These were basically career criminals who made no effort to work and had no respect for us. They increased our local crime rate exponentially for the two years or so before most of them scrounged bus fare to Miami, or got arrested, convicted and shipped to the Feds in Atlanta.

There is plenty of room in America for immigrants who are willing to come here legally and contribute and gratefully assimilate. I know it sounds corny and dated, but I firmly believe that most Americans are more than willing to extend a helping hand, but NOT a never-ending series of handouts.

lost in melb.
02-12-2018, 11:17 AM
Ditto here.

From a year ago:

An excerpt:
Over the course of this year, Andrews's [ federal minister] concerns about the alleged inability of Sudanese refugees to integrate have become more explicit, culminating on Monday when he made plain that integration was to become one of the key criteria for determining refugee resettlement quotas.

"Some groups don't seem to be settling and adjusting to the Australian way of life as quickly as we would hope, and therefore it makes sense to ... slow down the rate of intake from countries such as Sudan," he said.

Not much happened and weird uncharacteristic crime sprees evolved, culminating in a heated debate end of 2017.

http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/crime/sudanese-athlete-says-police-and-pollies-need-to-wake-up-to-gang-problem/news-story/cb90fd83bbe59d51d963d46518022d08

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-22/african-crime-stats-overestimated-victorian-crime-agency-says/9348882

But many Sudanese integrate well and seek higher education. We really need to hand-pick them, imo. And make sure the first lot assimilate before taking more; as well as foster the commmunity taking responsibility for itself.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/jan/06/were-not-a-gang-the-pain-of-being-african-australian
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-17/what-statistics-tell-us-about-melbournes-african-crime-issue/9336604

For me the take home message is the issue is complicated, and layered with politics like a black forest gateau (pun intended). At least the various groups are beginning to talk now.

RBP
02-12-2018, 02:00 PM
This is hilarious. The EXACT things in the last 3 posts are why Trump wants to have selective immigration to bring in those with the best chance to assimilate and be productive citizens.

But he's a racist for that. And any of us that agree are racists.

lost in melb.
02-12-2018, 03:05 PM
Your left is more vocal in opposing immigration restrictions than our left.

In most ways the US is to the right of Aus - except for immigration. Who knows why :idk: I've always argued it should be a rational science-based thing, based on statistics rather than politics.

DemonGeminiX
02-12-2018, 05:00 PM
The Democrats and the left want less restrictions on immigration because they figured out a while ago that when you give people free stuff, it buys you their votes. So when people who shouldn't be here are given a free pass from the Democrats, they vote Democrat in elections and the Democrats retain power, and then the Democrats give away more free stuff at the expense of the taxpayer. Yet when the people really learn what this country was meant to be, and realize what Democrat/liberal policies are really doing to this country, they vote Republican.

Hal-9000
02-12-2018, 08:28 PM
Living near Fort Indiantown Gap, which has housed Vietnamese boat people, I also remember those days. The Vietnamese (and later Cambodians) who came here wanted to assimilate, worked like Hell and valued education for their children. This resulted in them being valued; productive and in many cases, relatively affluent citizens.

FIG also housed the asshole Cuban refugees that Castro dumped on nitwit Jimmy Carter. These were basically career criminals who made no effort to work and had no respect for us. They increased our local crime rate exponentially for the two years or so before most of them scrounged bus fare to Miami, or got arrested, convicted and shipped to the Feds in Atlanta.

There is plenty of room in America for immigrants who are willing to come here legally and contribute and gratefully assimilate. I know it sounds corny and dated, but I firmly believe that most Americans are more than willing to extend a helping hand, but NOT a never-ending series of handouts.

Very well said (in my humble opinion)

:thumbsup:

RBP
02-12-2018, 11:25 PM
The Democrats and the left want less restrictions on immigration because they figured out a while ago that when you give people free stuff, it buys you their votes. So when people who shouldn't be here are given a free pass from the Democrats, they vote Democrat in elections and the Democrats retain power, and then the Democrats give away more free stuff at the expense of the taxpayer. Yet when the people really learn what this country was meant to be, and realize what Democrat/liberal policies are really doing to this country, they vote Republican.

https://i.imgur.com/vZdYc8X.jpg

DemonGeminiX
02-13-2018, 12:18 AM
That kid flipping the bird is hilarious. :lol:

Muddy
02-13-2018, 01:41 AM
I dont like him

lost in melb.
02-13-2018, 10:28 AM
I dont like him

He likes ol' Muddy, though. Look at that smile :tup: