PDA

View Full Version : Amazon to challenge UPS, FedEx with new delivery service

Teh One Who Knocks
02-12-2018, 11:25 AM
By Leia Klingel - FOX Business

https://i.imgur.com/OEdv9I1.jpg

Amazon (AMZN) is preparing to launch a delivery service to compete directly with shipping stalwarts UPS (UPS) and FedEx (FDX).

The service will pick up packages from businesses and ship them to consumers, people familiar with the matter told The Wall Street Journal.

While the service will be tested with third-party sellers in Los Angeles, the e-commerce giant will expand the service to other cities and will open the service to other businesses beyond third-party sellers.

The Journal also reported that Amazon is planning to undercut UPS and FedEx on pricing.

Amazon has tested a few delivery services including “Prime Air,” a delivery system from Amazon designed to get packages to customers in 30 minutes or less using drones.

Amazon already delivers its own packages in some cities and is actively recruiting delivery people to work through “Amazon Flex,” which offers flexible hours and pay of $18-$25 per hour, according to Amazon.

In 2017, Amazon shipped more than 5 billion items worldwide with Prime.

DemonGeminiX
02-12-2018, 11:52 AM
I don't suppose they'll come here. It would be nice to get my deliveries before the sun goes down. The last one I got wasn't delivered until 9:30 pm, and the fucking UPS guy didn't even bother to knock on the door or ring the doorbell.

RBP
02-12-2018, 02:06 PM
I do Amazon Flex. Sorry, DGX, we also deliver until 9:30 pm, 7 days a week.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Amazon already delivers some things themselves in Denver, I get packages delivered by Amazon on Sundays quite often.

RBP
02-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Amazon already delivers some things themselves in Denver, I get packages delivered by Amazon on Sundays quite often.

The have a contracted van program that goes out first. For what's left, they put out the offers on the app, and the ants (like me) come running.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-12-2018, 02:17 PM
The have a contracted van program that goes out first. For what's left, they put out the offers on the app, and the ants (like me) come running.

I like the Amazon deliveries because they show proof of delivery, unlike UPS and FedEx. When a package is delivered to me by Amazon, I get a message thru the Amazon app and it's a note saying my package was delivered plus a pic of it sitting on my front steps.

RBP
02-12-2018, 02:20 PM
I like the Amazon deliveries because they show proof of delivery, unlike UPS and FedEx. When a package is delivered to me by Amazon, I get a message thru the Amazon app and it's a note saying my package was delivered plus a pic of it sitting on my front steps.

That's a Flex driver. The vans don't do that. You can also track your Flex driver on a map to see when they get there.

It's decent money too. Base rate here is $18 per block hour, but I usually get done faster than the estimated time . So a 4-hour block is base rate $72 and I am usually done in 3. Pay is the same if you run quick or run over.

With the storms here over the weekend, Friday was $20, Saturday was $25, yesterday I got $25 on one and $30 on the other.

Muddy
02-12-2018, 02:22 PM
In the end there can be only one.

Muddy
02-12-2018, 02:23 PM
That's a Flex driver. The vans don't do that. You can also track your Flex driver on a map to see when they get there.

It's decent money too. Base rate here is $18 per block hour, but I usually get done faster than the estimated time . So a 4-hour block is base rate $72 and I am usually done in 3. Pay is the same if you run quick or run over.

With the storms here over the weekend, Friday was $20, Saturday was $25, yesterday I got $25 on one and $30 on the other.

You have to use your own vehicle and buy your own gas though right?

RBP
02-12-2018, 02:27 PM
You have to use your own vehicle and buy your own gas though right?

Correct. But the Mileage deduction makes it virtually tax free, so that helps balance the expenses.

Muddy
02-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Id like to see the long math on car expediture and fuel costs versus compensation to see what the true ROI is .. Or dollars per hour after operating costs.

RBP
02-12-2018, 02:35 PM
Id like to see the long math on car expediture and fuel costs versus compensation to see what the true ROI is .. Or dollars per hour after operating costs.

Not from me. My long form is "ignore it, get a job, and deal with that later". The gig stuff is good side work, but I wouldn't recommend doing what I have done and try to make a living with it.

Edit: But having said that, my note that mileage deductions eat the earnings answers your business income question.

Pony
02-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Not from me. My long form is "ignore it, get a job, and deal with that later". The gig stuff is good side work, but I wouldn't recommend doing what I have done and try to make a living with it.

Edit: But having said that, my note that mileage deductions eat the earnings answers your business income question.

I just looked, the closest warehouse that does Flex is on the east side of town, probably 40 minutes away from me and not the best of areas. Don't know if it would be worth it to drive all the way there. Can you pick preferences for your delivery areas or do they have you bouncing all over the place?

RBP
02-12-2018, 03:22 PM
I just looked, the closest warehouse that does Flex is on the east side of town, probably 40 minutes away from me and not the best of areas. Don't know if it would be worth it to drive all the way there. Can you pick preferences for your delivery areas or do they have you bouncing all over the place?

You are handed a rack when you get there. You go where it goes, although deciding what warehouse to work in limits areas you might not want. There are 3 warehouses I don't work out of because I have no interest in doing Chicago city routes. I stick with 2 suburban locations that have all suburban routes. Here, the day routes tend to be tight clusters, it's amazing how many orders there are every day on the same streets. The night routes tend to be "garbage routes" where they are getting out whatever's left and you drive a lot more for fewer drops.

I have discussed the distance thing with other drivers. One warehouse I work out of is 40 miles away. The other is 13. There are days that I do more miles at the closer one because my first stop is 45 minutes further out. Some guys won't drive to that northern one. I just go to the one with available routes when I want them. The routes are also easier at the further one, no idea why... less population density maybe, but some long starting drives.