PDA

View Full Version : Black student calls for racially segregated events at University of Iowa

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2018, 01:00 PM
The College Fix Staff

https://i.imgur.com/c096G8W.jpg

It’s not enough for the University of Iowa to host “black-theme events” that are open to everyone.

According to Daily Iowan columnist Wylliam Smith, the taxpayer-funded institution should exclude non-black people from certain events on campus – a sort of permanent, location-specific day of absence.

The black student notes that he and his peers make up 3.1 percent of the university, many of them from the Chicago area. It has changed his view of segregation:

Last year, I would’ve said that all-black or black-only events are wrong.

I’m sure on face value, black-only seems wrong. Separating black kids into areas in which it is just them and excluding other students looks prejudicial. Some may even say it is racist.

But it is “almost heartbreaking” to come to campus and not see “someone like you,” and to not feel like “the university is your new home … when you constantly feel like an outsider.”

Smith says black students are forced to “conform” in a majority-white area: “A black or brown student in Iowa has to talk white, act white, dress white in order to fit in.”

They need places where they don’t face “borderline racist questions” or perceive fear from whites, even as Smith credits most whites with “not inherently trying to be racist”:

Having events where black kids can just be black, where they can relax and be themselves without judgment is extremely needed. An environment like this can be lonely for students of color. …

If we have black-only events it removes those ingrained expectations. It rids black kids of the constant need to fight stereotypes. It frees students to truly be themselves, with no onlookers casting judgment.

Smith is apparently unhappy with ethnic affinity groups such as the Black Student Union because they aren’t allowed to exclude non-blacks from events. As the BSU Facebook page says:

BSU welcomes any University of Iowa student, regardless of nationality, race, sex, gender orientation, religion, or physical disabilities, to become a member our organization.

Racial exclusion could put BSU or any ethnic affinity group in the same danger as a Christian student group whose “sexual moral conduct” rules for leaders were judged discriminatory against sexual minorities. (A federal judge overruled the university, citing its disparate treatment of a Muslim student group.)

RBP
02-14-2018, 01:12 PM
:lol: You went to Iowa. Hello? Is this thing on?

That's like going to a gay bar and saying you see heterosexual-only space to feel comfortable.

Go to a black school if you're that racist. There's a shitload of them, and I promise you, they don't give segregated safe spaces to the crackers (if there are any).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historically_black_colleges_and_universiti es

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2018, 01:26 PM
There's a couple of black people in Iowa [-(

Muddy
02-14-2018, 01:50 PM
:lol:

Go to a black school if you're that racist.

Bingo!

RBP
02-14-2018, 01:51 PM
A black or brown student in Iowa has to talk white, act white, dress white in order to fit in.

Wow, it's almost like you might have to learn to assimilate to get a professional job. :rolleyes:

I've never seen a black doctor, lawyer, nurse, or business professional with their suit pants hanging off their ass.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Wow, it's almost like you might have to learn to assimilate to get a professional job. :rolleyes:

I've never seen a black doctor, lawyer, nurse, or business professional with their suit pants hanging off their ass.

https://i.imgur.com/qL3TjQC.jpg

Muddy
02-14-2018, 01:54 PM

http://i64.tinypic.com/x38y00.jpg

Muddy
02-14-2018, 01:55 PM
https://i.imgur.com/qL3TjQC.jpg

You know we just searched for the same thing!!! :lol:

RBP
02-14-2018, 01:58 PM
:dunno: I'm just sick of this shit.

Muddy
02-14-2018, 02:01 PM
:dunno: I'm just sick of this shit.

Just dont play along.. Life your life the best way that suits you.. We are in America and you are entitled your own personal pursuit of happiness.

RBP
02-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Just dont play along.. Life your life the best way that suits you.. We are in America and you are entitled your own personal pursuit of happiness.

Yeah, well, too bad it doesn't work that way. I do usually try to shrug and ignore, but that that makes it worse because nobody stands up. And when some do try to stand up, there are 1000 screaming counter-protesters to injure them and shut them down - and they not only get away with it, they are praised for their bravery in the face of hate. what?!? But without somebody saying "ENOUGH" it just gets worse. That's not America to me.

I could go on, but I won't. :lol:

Muddy
02-14-2018, 02:21 PM
Yeah, well, too bad it doesn't work that way. I do usually try to shrug and ignore, but that that makes it worse because nobody stands up. And when some do try to stand up, there are 1000 screaming counter-protesters to injure them and shut them down - and they not only get away with it, they are praised for their bravery in the face of hate. what?!? But without somebody saying "ENOUGH" it just gets worse. That's not America to me.

I could go on, but I won't. :lol:

I don't have the same problems where I'm from I guess.. I just treat others the way I want to be treated and rock on with my life. Maybe no one has pushed back on me yet in real life. ? But with that said I'm not hanging out in Charlottesville at 'unite the white' rally's either. I choose my battles a little more wisely.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2018, 02:25 PM
I don't have the same problems where I'm from I guess.. I just treat others the way I want to be treated and rock on with my life. Maybe no one has pushed back on me yet in real life. ? But with that said I'm not hanging out in Charlottesville at 'unite the white' rally's either. I choose my battles a little more wisely.

Come to Denver, it's not the blacks here, it's the Hispanics, and they are far more racist and far more vocal than the whites. It's getting worse here every day.

RBP
02-14-2018, 02:26 PM

As I have said before, a lot of this socioeconomic. You'll encounter the bullshit less in upper middle class circles regardless of race.

Me? I avoid Aldi on the first weekend of the month and don't apply to jobs that say "bilingual preferred" in the sanctuary city.

Muddy
02-14-2018, 02:29 PM
Come to Denver, it's not the blacks here, it's the Hispanics, and they are far more racist and far more vocal than the whites. It's getting worse here every day.

I don't doubt it. For real though.. Richmond is a really different place. I went into a 'Dollar Tree' yesterday and as I was walking across the parking lot I struck up a conversation with this big black guy with gold teeth and we were laughing and shaking our heads together at the ridiculousness inside the store and as I was leaving we wished each other well.. That is not a rare occurrence for me.. Maybe I'm approachable, maybe I dont flinch and just treat everyone like just people.. I dunno.. It seems to work for me. (Also, keep in mind this isnt down inside the city..) << last part for RBP..

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2018, 02:52 PM
As I have said before, a lot of this socioeconomic. You'll encounter the bullshit less in upper middle class circles regardless of race.

Me? I avoid Aldi on the first weekend of the month and don't apply to jobs that say "bilingual preferred" in the sanctuary city.

Same here, Denver is a sanctuary city too, which just emboldens all the Hispanics. There are Mexican parts of the city I wouldn't even go to after dark.

Hal-9000
02-14-2018, 05:08 PM
I don't doubt it. For real though.. Richmond is a really different place. I went into a 'Dollar Tree' yesterday and as I was walking across the parking lot I struck up a conversation with this big black guy with gold teeth and we were laughing and shaking our heads together at the ridiculousness inside the store and as I was leaving we wished each other well.. That is not a rare occurrence for me.. Maybe I'm approachable, maybe I dont flinch and just treat everyone like just people.. I dunno.. It seems to work for me. (Also, keep in mind this isnt down inside the city..) << last part for RBP..

Similar things happen with me. Someone once said I have 'an open' face...not sure what that means. I've been a blonde haired blue eyed Nordic looking dude for most of my life so I fit a certain stereotype for sure. At my old job I was constantly approached and befriended by POC, when I know they wouldn't talk to other Canadian Caucasians there.

I think it's because in that critical first three second window of meeting people...some of us don't automatically give out the fuck off vibe.

Muddy
02-14-2018, 05:35 PM
some of us don't automatically give out the fuck off vibe.

It was from our selective eugenics breeding program.

Hal-9000
02-14-2018, 05:41 PM
You're killing me today :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-14-2018, 05:44 PM

So do you just walk up and hand over your wallet, or you waited for him to ask?

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2018, 05:46 PM
So do you just walk up and hand over your wallet, or you waited for him to ask?

Hal-9000
02-14-2018, 05:48 PM

Muddy
02-14-2018, 06:26 PM
:triggered:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-14-2018, 06:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttgcu01Ffwo

deebakes
02-15-2018, 03:07 AM

bingo. even though i am in the midwest, we are quite diverse in this city. the diversity comes from all different walks, but they are generally highly educated physicians and scientists. in that way, we all basically speak the same language and just treat people like people, no one is special. :lol: