PDA

View Full Version : Colorado teen arrested, threatened to shoot up school, police say

Teh One Who Knocks
02-19-2018, 01:22 PM
Robert Garrison - 7 News Denver

https://i.imgur.com/GpeyfbW.png

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. — A 15-year-old Grand Junction High School student was arrested Thursday for allegedly making threats eluding to a mass shooting at the school.

The teen, whose name has not been released because he is a juvenile, was placed into the custody of the Department of Youth Corrections on several charges.

According to a Grand Junction Police release, school administrators contacted police after they became aware of the alleged threats the male teen suspect made during a conversation with another student.

He is facing charges of disorderly conduct, interference with staff, faculty, or students of educational institutions, and inciting destruction of life or property.

The arrest was made just a day after the Florida school shooting that claimed the lives of 17.

Hal-9000
02-19-2018, 06:17 PM
I just read about this. Good for them...the see something, say something idea works.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-19-2018, 06:24 PM
They really need to throw the book at kids like this. They either need to be remanded to a psychiatric hospital if they are truly mentally ill, or they need to go to prison for a minimum of 10 years for making threats like these.

Hal-9000
02-19-2018, 06:35 PM
They really need to throw the book at kids like this. They either need to be remanded to a psychiatric hospital if they are truly mentally ill, or they need to go to prison for a minimum of 10 years for making threats like these.

That's what should be done for a lot of crimes. Let the others know that this behavior won't be overlooked and it is not a joke. :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-19-2018, 06:52 PM
That's what should be done for a lot of crimes. Let the others know that this behavior won't be overlooked and it is not a joke. :thumbsup:

Yup, shit like this isn't funny, not even remotely.

redred
02-20-2018, 08:14 AM
so should this guy not to be aloud to own a gun again for the rest of his life ?

and if that were to happen would that be a form of gun control ?

DemonGeminiX
02-20-2018, 08:20 AM
Anyone who commits a crime and is convicted of that crime, after they've served their sentence and parole without incident and have paid their debt to society, their rights should be restored in full.

redred
02-20-2018, 10:00 AM
so what sort of punishment is this kid heading for ?

DemonGeminiX
02-20-2018, 10:39 AM
If he pleaded innocent and went to trial, then he would more than likely face the death penalty. The lawyer has stated that he would take a deal to avoid the death penalty by pleading guilty to all 17 counts of first-degree murder that he's charged with. But the death penalty has to be taken off the table before he does that.

redred
02-20-2018, 10:42 AM
Well the death penalty would solve him not getting his hands on a gun in the future:lol:

redred
02-20-2018, 10:43 AM
But what about this kid ?

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2018, 11:07 AM
so should this guy not to be aloud to own a gun again for the rest of his life ?

and if that were to happen would that be a form of gun control ?

It depends on what the actual charges are. If the charges are serious enough and the crime is a felony and not a misdemeanor (relatively minor offense) and he's convicted of the felony, then he will lose his right to own a firearm for the rest of his life. In the United States, anyone convicted of a felony forfeits their right to own a firearm. And if I remember right, they also lose their right to vote in elections as well.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2018, 11:08 AM
But what about this kid ?

From the story:

He is facing charges of disorderly conduct, interference with staff, faculty, or students of educational institutions, and inciting destruction of life or property.

I'm not up on all the Colorado statutes, but I think the first 2 charges sound like misdemeanors and the last charge might be a felony, I'm not sure. And the actual charges will all depend on what kind of deal he and his lawyer try and strike with the DA (district attorney) prosecuting the case.

redred
02-20-2018, 11:18 AM
Cheers