PDA

View Full Version : Teen sentenced to 4 years for planning mass shooting

Muddy
02-20-2018, 01:44 PM
Teen sentenced to 4 years for planning mass shooting at Hilliard-Davidson HS

http://i68.tinypic.com/20p4j8i.png

PUBLISHED: 02/08/18 12:46 PM ESTUPDATED: 02/19/18 11:25 PM EST
COLUMBUS, Ohio – Police say John Staley III had an advanced, detailed plot for a mass school shooting at Hilliard-Davidson High School.

Last month he was convicted of conspiracy to commit murder, and Thursday, he learned his punishment.

John Staley III has the face of a child. But prosecutors say he has the mind of a killer.

"This was a plot for a mass school shooting," said prosecutor Joe Gibson.

Police say Staley's school, Hilliard-Davidson, was the target.

And his plans were advanced, including diagrams of the building, online research, and efforts to recruit other students to help carry it out.

"He researched firearms," said Gibson. "When it became difficult to get firearms, he researched parts of firearms so that he could assemble them at the school."

They say records from his computer also showed racist, Nazi and neo-Nazi propaganda.

Hilliard Police arrested Staley in October 2016, based on a tip from another student.

He was originally charged in Juvenile Court. Though psychologists said that's where his case belonged, a judge ordered him prosecuted as an adult.

A teacher from the juvenile detention center said the charges don't match the teen she's come to know.

"What we see now is a different child," said Tonja Blackmon. "We see a great child, a gifted child, a creative child. We see that. And if you believe in rehabilitation, which I believe in, then this would be a child that has been rehabilitated."

She said multiple teachers were moved to write unsolicited letters on Staley's behalf. Staley's attorney urged the judge to consider probation.

"You want to make this kid a racist? Send him to prison. You want to make this kid a criminal? Send him to prison. You want to make this kid dangerous? Send him to prison," said Stephen Palmer.

His distraught parents seated behind him, Staley then spoke for himself.

"I am gravely sorry for my actions," he said. "I'm sorry to my friends, my family, and the people I affected with those actions. I never meant for this to go this far. I'm sorry I have to be in front of you today, Your Honor, please have mercy on me sir."

"It's not enough to say later that it was a joke," responded Judge David Cain. "I do think from everything I've read that there was very little chance, very little chance, that it would have actually occurred. But even a very slight chance is way too much."

Staley could have gotten between three and 11 years in prison.

Judge Cain said based on what he'd read about his attitude and intellect, his ruling was on the low end of that.

He sentenced Staley to four years in prison, with five years' probation after that.

Staley's family declined to comment.

deebakes
02-20-2018, 02:25 PM
got off light :x

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2018, 02:36 PM
Yup, should have gotten 10 years minimum

Muddy
02-20-2018, 02:40 PM
Agreed.. Throw the book at these little fucks.. It's the only thing thats going to make an impact. Kind of like stealing in the middle East gets your fucking hand cut off.

RBP
02-20-2018, 03:10 PM
I disagree with you guys. Should have stayed in Juvi, with intense therapy and ongoing evaluations.

"You want to make this kid a racist? Send him to prison. You want to make this kid a criminal? Send him to prison. You want to make this kid dangerous? Send him to prison,"

:qft:

Muddy
02-20-2018, 03:12 PM
Theres some truth to what you are saying Rainbow.. I have seen the effects of prison on a person, most definitely do come out worse.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2018, 03:19 PM
I disagree with you guys. Should have stayed in Juvi, with intense therapy and ongoing evaluations.

Not everyone can be or wants to be rehabilitated. And, not everyone that goes into prison becomes a racist or a hardened criminal.

RBP
02-20-2018, 03:23 PM
Not everyone can be or wants to be rehabilitated. And, not everyone that goes into prison becomes a racist or a hardened criminal.

I get that. The psychologists recommended Juvi and stated he has already made significant progress. It seems his chances are better in a system set up to help him rather than an adult prison structured for punishment.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2018, 03:28 PM
I get that. The psychologists recommended Juvi and stated he has already made significant progress. It seems his chances are better in a system set up to help him rather than an adult prison structured for punishment.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think something like this, especially in the wake of the two school shootings this year (and all the copycat threats popping up) that the punishment needs to be strong, no more fucking around.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-20-2018, 04:53 PM

:qft:

Agreed, prison breeds criminals

RBP
02-20-2018, 04:55 PM
Agreed, prison breeds criminals

Not only that but he gets out at 21 with a felony for criminal conspiracy to commit murder. What does he do for the rest of his life?

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2018, 04:58 PM
Not only that but he gets out at 21 with a felony for criminal conspiracy to commit murder. What does he do for the rest of his life?

He should have thought about that before planning on trying to murder a bunch of people.

RBP
02-20-2018, 05:04 PM
Yeah, okay, so what does he do?

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Yeah, okay, so what does he do?

Would it be rude if I said 'off himself'? :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2018, 05:26 PM
Sorry, here's a less flippant answer. I'm sorry, but I have neither sympathy nor compassion for these people. Maybe I did at one point, but not anymore. This shit is not funny and it needs to be dealt with. If I had my way, people like this would get 20 to life, with the 20 years being a mandatory minimum. There is no excuse in the entire world for making threats or plans like this, none. And for people that actually do go thru it like that fucktard in Florida? That would be a mandatory death sentence. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

And while we're at it, these stories shouldn't even be in the news and sensationalized like they are right now. That's what these psychopaths want. They think it immortalizes them and they see themselves in the news on a daily basis. The press should be forbidden from using names or photos of the accused and deny them this "glory" that they think they are getting.

RBP
02-20-2018, 05:48 PM
I think we're done here. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2018, 05:50 PM
Sorry :oops:

RBP
02-20-2018, 05:58 PM
;)

Hal-9000
02-20-2018, 06:00 PM

From the story he researched floor plans and had diagrams, tried to recruit others to help and when he couldn't get certain weapons, he further researched ways to assemble weapons.

This person wasn't making Facebook posts to look cool, he had the intent and an actual plan to hurt people.

We should be more concerned with what he's doing to other people's lives right now, as opposed to worrying about what his life will be at 21.

RBP
02-20-2018, 06:03 PM
From the story he researched floor plans and had diagrams, tried to recruit others to help and when he couldn't get certain weapons, he further researched ways to assemble weapons.

This person wasn't making Facebook posts to look cool, he had the intent and an actual plan to hurt people.

We should be more concerned with what he's doing to other people's lives right now, as opposed to worrying about what his life will be at 21.

The discuss was about appropriate sentencing.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-20-2018, 06:03 PM
;)

https://i.imgur.com/QO45QA6l.jpg

It's just that I am sick of things like this, which is how every single law abiding gun owner is viewed when something like this happens.

RBP
02-20-2018, 06:05 PM
https://i.imgur.com/dwkraHU.jpg?1

My reply was "I'm sure that whole "allahu akbar" thing has nothing to do with it."

Hal-9000
02-20-2018, 06:21 PM
The discuss was about appropriate sentencing.

I'm there. Give him more than a four year slap on the wrist so he doesn't get out at 21.

The teacher from the juvi center talked about him possibly becoming racist after being in prison. After finding racist and Nazi propaganda already on his PC.

Called him a creative and gifted mind...that's one way to describe it I guess.

Couldn't find the kid's age...

Hal-9000
02-20-2018, 06:23 PM
An encouraging part of the story is another student called in the tip on him. Good for them.