PDA

View Full Version : You Realize Arming Teachers Is Going To Lead To Black Students Getting Murdered By Their Teacher, Right?

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2018, 01:17 PM
By Elie Mystal - Above the Law

https://i.imgur.com/s46rIvW.jpg

There are many reasons to be against President Wayne LaPierre Donald Trump’s idea to arm teachers in public schools. It’s dangerous. It’s expensive. It changes the core-competency of “teaching.” And, you know, it’s not actually going to deter mass shooters.

But there’s one more problem that I’m sure most white people haven’t thought about yet: arming American teachers will directly result in students of color being shot to death at school.

I know that because the only other group of public employees that is armed at the behest of the state shoots unarmed people of color on the reg. The cops actually receive extensive training on how to use their firearms, how to asses threats, and how to deescalate situations, and yet they still murder innocent civilians all the time.

Giving a teacher a gun is ASKING them to be afraid. It makes poor judgment a homicidal offense. And that danger will be borne by black and brown students. The students who make teachers “afraid” just by their very existence.

We’ll be telling teachers to shoot armed terrorists breaching the school. What’s really going to happen is an unarmed black truant loitering in a hallway he’s not supposed to be in who gets shot eight times by the jumpy choir director.

Oh, she’ll feel just awful about her mistake. But a jury of her peers will never convict her of a crime.

One can assume that the legal system will treat armed teachers just like cops. Civilians are not allowed to discharge their weapons in public places except in the most extreme of circumstances, but cops are allowed to pop a cap in anything that frightens them. We’ve learned that cops are cowards who are easily spooked. The bar for a frightened teacher will be even lower. Having told the community that armed teachers are necessary to protect children, no jury is going to convict a teacher just because he or she mistakenly perceived a threat. And white America will rally around the poor teacher who emptied his clip into a “loud,” “aggressive” student of color who “has a history” of smoking cigarettes behind the school and getting into fights.

I can see the media reports now: “D’LaQuan Freedman was shot dead after threatening local teacher Miss Mary Priss with projectile chicken nuggets. Priss believed Freedman had a gun in his lunchbox, which in fact only contained a Pokemon ball believed stolen from a white child. Though just eight, Freedman’s permanent record revealed that the large, athletic boy received detention three whole times since his parents divorced, late last year.”

America is entirely too racist to arm teachers. Our legal system is INCAPABLE of holding public employees to account for murdering minorities. Black and brown students should not have to die because disgruntled white boys are shooting up their schools.

Muddy
02-23-2018, 01:22 PM
http://i63.tinypic.com/m8oim0.png

RBP
02-23-2018, 01:51 PM
I stopped at "yet they still murder innocent civilians all the time". Done.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2018, 02:02 PM
I stopped at "yet they still murder innocent civilians all the time". Done.

:privilege:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-23-2018, 03:12 PM
Wow :lol:

Goofy
02-23-2018, 04:00 PM
Stupid article but i do agree that having teachers armed is not a good idea. Saw someone in another thread a few days ago suggesting having armed Veterans on site - i think that would be a better idea. People with years of firearm training and most probably live combat experience has to be a safer bet than some teacher who's had a couple of firearm lessons surely.

It all sounds so strange to me tbh having lived a sheltered existance over here in Scotland - how do you fathers feel on the subject of having armed teachers in your kids schools?

PorkChopSandwiches
02-23-2018, 04:01 PM
More people armed, Less people get shot

Goofy
02-23-2018, 05:46 PM
More people armed, Less people get shot
I just dont understand that way of thinking :lol: You know, the only guns ive seen with my own eyes in this country are shotguns and bolt action rifles (ive seen and touched a handgun in Bulgaria) whereas you guys have grown up handling various weapons - i guess seeing someone with a handgun holstered on their person is as normal to you as me seeing someone with a mobile phone in their hand :lol:

This is why i very rarely engage on the US gun debate, we effectively live in different worlds so my opinion means nothing :)

Muddy
02-23-2018, 06:03 PM
i guess seeing someone with a handgun holstered on their person is as normal to you :lol:

I only see that a few times a year.

Hal-9000
02-23-2018, 06:07 PM
Stupid article but i do agree that having teachers armed is not a good idea. Saw someone in another thread a few days ago suggesting having armed Veterans on site - i think that would be a better idea. People with years of firearm training and most probably live combat experience has to be a safer bet than some teacher who's had a couple of firearm lessons surely.

It all sounds so strange to me tbh having lived a sheltered existance over here in Scotland - how do you fathers feel on the subject of having armed teachers in your kids schools?

There's a scenario known as The Hero Fantasy. The thinking is that another civilian who is armed can take out the shooter. It does happen with convenience store robberies and home invasions, so there is merit to the idea. During large scale shootings, it rarely if ever happens. During a university shooting a few years ago one of the witnesses was found to have been armed and had a conceal and carry permit. He was asked how come he didn't attempt to take a shot at the shooter? Paraphrasing his response - Are you kidding? It's an active shooting scene and I pull out a weapon and start firing? No one knows who I am including the police. I don't want a bullet in the head from a police sniper.

Please don't misunderstand my take on this. There are no better stories than when a civilian stops a fuckwad from hurting other people.

I agree that teachers don't have the necessary coping skills when compared to a military veteran as the real shit starts going down. Teachers may also make a bad decision if they see a student with a replica or similar 'false' situation.

In my view, I see the chain of best options like this if we had to choose who was armed:

Military or police veteran > teacher > civilians and students on the scene

DemonGeminiX
02-23-2018, 07:10 PM
I just dont understand that way of thinking :lol:

The idea is, generally-speaking, most people who are capable of semi-rational thinking really don't want to get shot. So if they know the people around them are armed, then they're less likely to do shit that will get them shot.

Pony
02-23-2018, 09:25 PM
I only see that a few times a year.

Yep, very rarely see someone openly walking around.

Pony
02-23-2018, 09:31 PM
There's a scenario known as The Hero Fantasy. The thinking is that another civilian who is armed can take out the shooter. It does happen with convenience store robberies and home invasions, so there is merit to the idea. During large scale shootings, it rarely if ever happens. During a university shooting a few years ago one of the witnesses was found to have been armed and had a conceal and carry permit. He was asked how come he didn't attempt to take a shot at the shooter? Paraphrasing his response - Are you kidding? It's an active shooting scene and I pull out a weapon and start firing? No one knows who I am including the police. I don't want a bullet in the head from a police sniper.

Please don't misunderstand my take on this. There are no better stories than when a civilian stops a fuckwad from hurting other people.

I agree that teachers don't have the necessary coping skills when compared to a military veteran as the real shit starts going down. Teachers may also make a bad decision if they see a student with a replica or similar 'false' situation.

In my view, I see the chain of best options like this if we had to choose who was armed:

Military or police veteran > teacher > civilians and students on the scene

I see it like this: The only teachers that will be carrying have grown up responsible gun owners and have had training on how to respond in different situations. They will not just throw a weapon at a bunch of people who have never fired a gun before and let them loose with 2 hours of training.

Also in an active shooter situation you likely would NOT have teachers running around the school hunting the shooter, it's not the movies. You would have an armed teacher sheltering with their students and IF the shooter enters that room the teacher can shoot to protect the kids. It's an offense vs defense scenario.

Hal-9000
02-24-2018, 05:49 PM
I see it like this: The only teachers that will be carrying have grown up responsible gun owners and have had training on how to respond in different situations. They will not just throw a weapon at a bunch of people who have never fired a gun before and let them loose with 2 hours of training.

Also in an active shooter situation you likely would NOT have teachers running around the school hunting the shooter, it's not the movies. You would have an armed teacher sheltering with their students and IF the shooter enters that room the teacher can shoot to protect the kids. It's an offense vs defense scenario.

It happens in other areas of life...

and

I didn't mention this was a likely scenario, but it's good to know and I agree.

My post was to support the idea of veterans with weapons experience over teachers, if arming employees was going to be part of the solution :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
02-25-2018, 08:17 PM
https://i.imgur.com/rGAi2RS.mp4

Godfather
02-25-2018, 08:34 PM
I'm always about the evidence. I do wonder how many active school shootings were stopped by armed guards hired after Columbine? Any?

It's also interesting that banks have been moving away from armed guards for a while, perhaps because having them actually dramatically increases the chance of violence (https://www.revealnews.org/article/fbi-bank-robbery-data-shows-armed-guards-increase-risk-of-violence/) by three-fold. I'm just not sure having armed guards or teachers will actually work. Yes it's a deterrence for some, but I'm not sure it's a good solution.

DemonGeminiX
02-25-2018, 09:09 PM
Ohio's going to be the proving ground. They're training teachers to carry conceal and for shooter response. We'll see what happens.

And for the record, I don't think there have been very many public schools with armed guards to know what will happen. There's been plenty of private rich people's schools with armed guards and they're never in the news, so....

Godfather
02-25-2018, 09:19 PM
If they're really going to do it, I hope they do it right and these teachers are given the resources to develop and maintain actual skills. People who carry guns need to train all the time.

Reminds me of a video I saw this week of two armed liquor store cashiers getting in a gun fight with a robber. Doesn't take a gunslinger to spot how close this was to all going sideways for them. Just knowing how to pull a trigger doesn't make you Jon Wick.

WARNING GRAPHIC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osS1HzHGrz8

Godfather
02-25-2018, 09:26 PM
And for the record, I don't think there have been very many public schools with armed guards to know what will happen. There's been plenty of private rich people's schools with armed guards and they're never in the news, so....

Ya I was curious about that number but couldn't find recent reliable source. I saw an article estimating 43% have SRO's but wasn't clear what percent were armed.

RBP
02-25-2018, 10:09 PM
If they're really going to do it, I hope they do it right and these teachers are given the resources to develop and maintain actual skills. People who carry guns need to train all the time.

Reminds me of a video I saw this week of two armed liquor store cashiers getting in a gun fight with a robber. Doesn't take a gunslinger to spot how close this was to all going sideways for them. Just knowing how to pull a trigger doesn't make you Jon Wick.

WARNING GRAPHIC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osS1HzHGrz8

Those ladies were in Live PD this week; they are still shaken up. Good for them for fighting back. Yes, it could have gone sideways, but more sideways than allowing the perp to exercise his will at their expense? I could argue that it could have gone very wrong for them had they NOT defended themselves.