PDA

View Full Version : Texas college coach won’t recruit from Colorado over ‘trouble passing’ drug tests

Teh One Who Knocks
03-01-2018, 11:50 AM
by Michael Konopasek - FOX 31 Denver

https://i.imgur.com/WCBwbHQl.jpg

AURORA, Colo. — A baseball coach at Texas Wesleyan University in Fort Worth is under fire after writing an email stating he will not recruit student athletes from Colorado because players from Colorado have had trouble passing drug tests.

The university coach, Mike Jeffcoat, sent that email to Cherokee Trail High School senior Gavin Bell on Feb. 20, 2018. Bell has been busy working through the college recruitment process and says he already has a couple offers.

“Unfortunately, we are not recruiting players from the state of Colorado,” Jeffcoat wrote in the email to Bell. “In the past, players have had trouble passing our drug test. We have made a decision not to take a chance on Student-athletes from your state.”

The coach finished the email by writing, “You can thank your liberal politicians. Best of Luck wherever you decide to play.”

FOX31 called Jeffcoat on Wednesday but he didn’t answer.

Bell says he doesn’t want the coach to lose his job.

“I’m not trying to get anybody in trouble here,” Bell said. “My intention wasn’t trying to get this guy fired. My intention was just to try to play baseball.”

The 18-year-old outfielder said he wants to focus on his upcoming college career.

“This wasn’t meant to go viral for me or anything like,” he explained. “I just sent it to a high school teacher of mine and it just went public like that.”

The university released the following statement:

“We are aware of the email sent by our baseball coach, and the comments he made are in no way a reflection of Texas Wesleyan University, its values or its recruiting practices.

This is a personnel matter and it is currently under investigation. It is our University policy to not discuss personnel matters, but we want to reiterate that this email does not reflect our values and we do not condone discrimination. This includes discrimination on the basis of race, color, origin, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, disability or sexuality; or the political legislation of one’s home state. We are committed to providing an inclusive campus for all of our students, faculty, staff, visitors, potential students and their families.

Texas Wesleyan has a long tradition of excellence in athletics and we are committed to recruiting student-athletes who will excel at our university. Like the NAIA’s core values, we are focused on building and recruiting champions of character.”

There is currently a student from Colorado on the Texas Wesleyan University baseball roster.

Muddy
03-01-2018, 02:18 PM
:roll:

deebakes
03-02-2018, 08:21 PM
is he wrong? :shrug:

KevinD
03-03-2018, 03:54 AM
Coach lost his job.

Muddy
03-03-2018, 09:11 AM
is he wrong? :shrug:

He was discriminating. He really showed his hand when he made the liberal jab..

RBP
03-03-2018, 01:48 PM
He was discriminating. He really showed his hand when he made the liberal jab..

Everyone discriminates. That's what a selection process is, discrimination. You just don't like the basis on which he discriminated, and (I assume) you expect a coach to discriminate based on other things.

There's nothing illegal about discrimination based on state or political affiliation. Those aren't protected classes. The University can make that policy, but in this case, they just added it randomly. It's a pretty silly thing to do, actually, because it leaves them open to questions about all selection criteria. Like, why drug test at all? Is that a reasonable basis on which to discriminate? What relevance to playing baseball in the future does recent drug use have?

What do you mean you discriminate on the basis of intelligence?
What do you mean you discriminate on the basis of coachability?
What do you mean you discriminate on the basis of attitude?
What do you mean you discriminate on the basis of motivation?
What do you mean you discriminate on the basis of leadership?
What do you mean you discriminate on the basis of ability to get along with other players?
What do you mean you discriminate on the basis of disciplinary and criminal history?
What do you mean you discriminate on the basis of prior drug use?

The only reason this is a story is his poorly worded email blaming "liberal politicians". But as Dee stated... is he wrong?

deebakes
03-06-2018, 01:18 AM
:gimme5: