PDA

View Full Version : Southwest Airlines plane's engine explodes; passenger reportedly hit with shrapnel

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2018, 04:32 PM
By Kathleen Joyce | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/ufXTnpQ.jpg

At least one passenger was taken to the hospital after a Southwest Airlines plane made an emergency landing in Philadelphia on Tuesday, officials said.

The passenger was reportedly hit with shrapnel when the plane's engine exploded. A Southwest Airlines spokesperson said the plane diverted "because of an operational event" but photos appeared to show engine damage.

Flight 1380 was en route from LaGuardia Airport in New York City to Dallas Love Field when it was diverted to Philadelphia International Airport. The plane was carrying 149 passengers when it landed.

WCAU reported the passenger who was hit by shrapnel was taken off the plane by being pulled through the aircraft's window.

The Philadelphia Fire Department was on the scene helping evacuate passengers.

https://i.imgur.com/MT9Uneq.jpg

Marty Martinez, a passenger on the flight, posted a video on his personal Facebook page stating he was "recording his last moments." Martinez told CBS News there was "blood everywhere" on the aircraft.

"We were probably going down for 10 to 15 minutes," Martinez said. "And of course everyone is freaking out, everyone is crying. It was the scariest experience."

Southwest said in a statement it was "aware" of the incident.

"We are in the process of gathering more information," the statement said. "...Safety is always our top priority at Southwest Airlines, and we are working diligently to support our customers and crews at this time."

The Philadelphia International Airport tweeted passengers "should expect delays" following the incident.

"Flight from LGA [LaGuardia] to Dallas Love Field landed safely at PHL [Philadelphia] and passengers are being brought into the terminal. Flights are departing and arriving but passengers should expect delays. Check flight status with your airline," the airport tweeted.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-17-2018, 04:35 PM
:shock:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-17-2018, 07:29 PM
By Kathleen Joyce | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/nreWSJF.jpg

One person died Tuesday after an engine exploded in midair, leading desperate passengers aboard the Southwest Airlines flight to try pulling her to safety amid a chaotic scene with "blood everywhere," frightened witnesses said.

The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) confirmed Tuesday afternoon that one person was killed in the incident.

The passenger was transported to a hospital in critical condition after the plane made an emergency landing in Philadelphia, officials said. Seven others suffered minor injuries, but were not taken to the hospital.

WACU reported a passenger was "partially sucked out" of one of the plane's windows when the engine exploded and shrapnel from the engine pierced through a window, a father of one of the passengers said.

“One passenger, a woman, was partially…was drawn out towards the outside of the plane…was pulled back in by other passengers," Todd Bauer, the father of one of the passengers said.

The pilot, who was not immediately identified, asked an air traffic control operator via radio for emergency services to be on the scene for the injured passengers when the aircraft lands. When the pilot was asked if the plane was on fire they replied, "No, it's not on fire but part of it's missing. They said there is a hole and someone went out."

A Southwest Airlines spokesperson said the Boeing 737-700 diverted "because of an operational event" but photos appeared to show engine damage.

https://i.imgur.com/zqa7H4u.jpg

Flight 1380 was en route from LaGuardia Airport in New York City to Dallas Love Field when it was diverted to Philadelphia International Airport. The plane was carrying 144 passengers and five crewmembers.

The Philadelphia Fire Department was on the scene helping evacuate passengers.

Marty Martinez, a passenger on the flight, posted a video on his personal Facebook page stating he was "recording his last moments." Martinez told CBS News there was "blood everywhere" on the aircraft.

https://i.imgur.com/wnhVrvw.jpg

"We were probably going down for 10 to 15 minutes," Martinez said. "And of course everyone is freaking out, everyone is crying. It was the scariest experience."

Southwest said in a statement it was "aware" of the incident.

"We are in the process of gathering more information," the statement said. "...Safety is always our top priority at Southwest Airlines, and we are working diligently to support our customers and crews at this time."

https://i.imgur.com/esXWow7.jpg

The Federal Aviation Administration released a statement saying it was "investigating the incident and the National Transportation Board has been notified."

"Southwest Airlines Flight 1380 landed at Philadelphia International Airport this morning after the crew reported damage to one of the aircraft's engines, as well as fuselage and at least one window," the statement read.

The Philadelphia International Airport tweeted passengers "should expect delays" following the incident.

"Flight from LGA [LaGuardia] to Dallas Love Field landed safely at PHL [Philadelphia] and passengers are being brought into the terminal. Flights are departing and arriving but passengers should expect delays. Check flight status with your airline," the airport tweeted.

Boeing Airplanes tweeted the company was aware of the incident and was "gathering more information" "to provide [with] technical assistance."

PorkChopSandwiches
04-17-2018, 08:08 PM
that is fuckin nuts

lost in melb.
04-17-2018, 11:37 PM
Very lucky the whole plane didn't rip apart

deebakes
04-18-2018, 01:39 AM
why aren't people wearing their masks as they are supposed to? :?

Godfather
04-18-2018, 01:45 AM
.... does anyone notice that pretty much every single person wearing the oxygen mask is wearing it wrong? It's supposed to cover your nose.... watch the fucking safety demo :facepalm:

deebakes
04-18-2018, 01:49 AM

.... does anyone notice that pretty much every single person wearing the oxygen mask is wearing it wrong? It's supposed to cover your nose.... watch the fucking safety demo :facepalm:

um... yes, someone noticed :hand:

Godfather
04-18-2018, 01:50 AM
:lol: Sorry

deebakes
04-18-2018, 01:54 AM
i know it is hard for millennials to read when it isn't all in acronyms, i apologize for the confusion :doh:

deebakes
04-18-2018, 01:55 AM
i am scared to think about how many times i have sat in almost that exact same seat :shock:

deebakes
04-18-2018, 01:55 AM
minus the explosion of course :tup:

Godfather
04-18-2018, 01:58 AM
I'm an aisle seat guy personally :lol:

deebakes
04-18-2018, 02:01 AM
i used to be, but i hate having to get up all the fucking time for the small bladdered mother fuckers that have their giant fucking water bottles when they need to go to the bathroom :x

lost in melb.
04-18-2018, 03:13 AM

Cause they smell like Studebaker dogs balls :-k