PDA

View Full Version : White teen under fire for racist promposal using slavery pun

Teh One Who Knocks
04-24-2018, 11:22 AM
By Jackie Salo - The New York Post

A Florida teen is getting heat for a promposal in which he made a racist sign as his grand gesture to ask his girlfriend to the school dance.

Noah Crowley’s sign, which has received backlash on social media over the weekend, reads, “If I was black, I’d be picking cotton, but I’m white, so I’m picking u 4 prom.”

The promposal went viral after his girlfriend shared the controversial sign on Snapchat and captioned the post with heart-eyes emojis.

Crowley, 18, is enrolled at Riverview High School in Sarasota, where other students have said they are “disgusted” with his message, according to The Herald-Tribune.

“It shows that racism is still alive and well in our society, and it shows that racism is still alive in my generation and it is something that we as the youth will have to continue to fight against,” senior Anton Kernohan told the newspaper.

Sarasota County Schools released a statement Monday saying they don’t “condone” the sign.

“Although this message is one student’s opinion, we take the matter of racial relations and school safety seriously, and we look forward to working with our students and these outside groups to have a meaningful and informative dialogue and expanded curriculum related to this important national topic,” the statement said.

The district said they are reviewing the incident and will decide whether to discipline the teen, The Herald-Tribune reported.

Crowley did not respond to a request for comment.

RBP
04-24-2018, 11:33 AM
Or.... it was a kid making a dumb joke and nothing more.

Goofy
04-24-2018, 11:42 AM
:facepalm:

Muddy
04-24-2018, 12:28 PM
Or.... it was a kid making a dumb joke and nothing more.

ugh... not in this day and age though..

deebakes
04-24-2018, 11:41 PM
apparently the girl liked it :shrug:

perrhaps
04-25-2018, 09:37 AM
apparently the girl liked it :shrug:

You're cotton-pickin' right she did!

RBP
04-25-2018, 01:25 PM
:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches