PDA

View Full Version : Prof says he'll grade students on a curve, so they organize a boycott of the exams and all get As

Teh One Who Knocks
04-25-2018, 10:58 AM
By Cory Doctorow - BoingBoing

https://i.imgur.com/LJm8kcL.jpg

Johns Hopkins Computer Science prof Professor Peter Fröhlich grades his students on a curve: the highest score on the final gets an A and everyone else is graded accordingly.

Clever students in Fröhlich's "Intermediate Programming", "Computer System Fundamentals," and "Introduction to Programming for Scientists and Engineers" figured out that this meant that if they all boycotted the exam, they'd all get As.

So they organized a boycott, milling around the hall outside the class where the exams were being sat, sternly reminding each other that if no one sat the exam they'd all get straight As, ignoring Fröhlich's pleas to come and sit the exam.

Fröhlich praised his students' solidarity: "The students learned that by coming together, they can achieve something that individually they could never have done. At a school that is known (perhaps unjustly) for competitiveness I didn't expect that reaching such an agreement was possible."

Andrew Kelly, a student in Fröhlich’s Introduction to Programming class who was one of the boycott’s key organizers, explained the logic of the students' decision via e-mail: "Handing out 0's to your classmates will not improve your performance in this course," Kelly said.

"So if you can walk in with 100 percent confidence of answering every question correctly, then your payoff would be the same for either decision. Just consider the impact on your other exam performances if you studied for [the final] at the level required to guarantee yourself 100. Otherwise, it's best to work with your colleagues to ensure a 100 for all and a very pleasant start to the holidays."

Kelly said the boycott was made possible through a variety of technological and social media tools. Students used a spreadsheet on Google Drive to keep track of who had agreed to the boycott, for instance. And social networks were key to "get 100 percent confidence that you have 100 percent of the people on board" in a big class.

DemonGeminiX
04-25-2018, 11:57 AM
That prof's a pussy. I would have failed all of them.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-25-2018, 12:02 PM

:agreed:

Or what would have been even better is if one of the student would have actually had the balls to go in and take the exam. He/she could have failed it miserably and still gotten an A and everyone else would have failed.

RBP
04-25-2018, 01:34 PM
Does it actually say they all got A's?

Teh One Who Knocks
04-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Does it actually say they all got A's?

Not explicitly, but I'm guessing by the statement from the professor that they all most likely did:

Fröhlich praised his students' solidarity: "The students learned that by coming together, they can achieve something that individually they could never have done. At a school that is known (perhaps unjustly) for competitiveness I didn't expect that reaching such an agreement was possible."

RBP
04-25-2018, 01:53 PM
I deal in facts. :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-25-2018, 01:58 PM
Seems that this story is old, not sure why the BoingBoing site picked it up as something 'new' :confused:

From another article (originally from 2013):

To avoid the stress of taking their exam, the students decided to capitalize on a loophole in Froehlich’s grading system.

“In my courses, all grades are relative to the highest actually achieved score. Thus, if no one showed up and everyone got 0 percent, everyone would be marked as 100 percent,” Froehlich wrote in an email to The News-Letter.

Since Froehlich started at Hopkins in 2005, no class had taken that challenge until last semester. Both of Froelich’s classes were awarded with perfect scores on their final exams.

----------------------

Dr. Froehlich has since changed his grading system so that if everyone has zero points, everyone gets 0 percent. He now reserves the right to give everyone a 0 percent if he thinks that they are cheating the system.

And from one of the students:

For the students, one less final meant one less thing to stress about.

“It was great because I had two tests the day before and two tests the following day, so not having to worry about that test was definitely a blessing,” sophomore Oliver McNeely wrote in an email to The News-Letter.

:roll:

Why are these idiots even in school?

PorkChopSandwiches
04-25-2018, 03:46 PM
I would have went and took the test so I got an A and they all failed :dance:

Pony
04-25-2018, 10:29 PM
Call out sick that day and answer one question on the makeup exam the next day.

The Monk
04-26-2018, 01:14 AM

I'm with you on that.... :thumbsup:

To me, that's getting the grade by default...... like your opponent in a foot race falling over enabling you to finish first.

Godfather
04-26-2018, 04:13 AM
Pretty sad, they have no idea how useless and self-serving this makes them.

Heard an interesting stat from a motivational speaker yesterday. Guy won 3 high school football championships (in Canada to be fair), a university national championship, then after three attempts got into Harvard and got a degree there and at MIT, before going on to play 13 years of pro football.... anyways, what he was talking about was how important his perseverance was. The stat that he referenced which blew me away was that the year he got into Harvard, there were 35,000 applicants. Of those, 20,000 had 4.0 GPA's and played stringed instruments.

You can bitch and moan your way to an 'A' in every class but it won't get you anywhere without guts.

deebakes
04-28-2018, 03:28 PM
i wouldn't have gotten in to harvard because i am white :(

RBP
04-28-2018, 03:35 PM
i wouldn't have gotten in to harvard because i am white :(

https://i.imgur.com/RdIWRbR.gif