PDA

View Full Version : Why Ford Killed Its Cars

Teh One Who Knocks
04-26-2018, 10:53 AM
Tom McParland - Jalopnik

https://i.imgur.com/6XEhdlm.jpg

My colleagues, as well as much of the car enthusiast community, are dealing with a collective freakout upon learning Ford will be killing off all its sedans and hatchbacks and keeping one real car, the Mustang, in North America. Ford is doomed, they say. But I don’t share that perspective—no one wanted to buy those cars anyway, and this came down to just being a cold, hard business decision.

So let’s get this out of the way: the sky is not falling and Ford is not destined for bankruptcy due to the discontinuation of the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, and Taurus in the American market. Does it sound weird to axe so many cars at once? Sure.

But when was the last time you, a serious car buyer, got excited to plop your hard-earned money down on a Fiesta, Fusion, Focus or Taurus—that did not have an ST or an RS badge?

Aside from those fun-filled models for hoonage, the fact remains that the sedan segment is dying. Honda is struggling to sell the Accord. Think about that for a second—the Honda Accord is is pretty much the car to beat for the mid-size sedan segment, and always has been, even when it constantly battled with the Toyota Camry to be number one.

Now it’s sitting on the lot while the CR-Vs gobble up the sales.

I’ll give you some hard numbers on the Ford side. Take the Fusion: at its arguable peak in 2014, Ford was moving as many as 30,000 or more of these a month in the U.S., according to GoodCarBadCar. Last month it sold about half that—16,103. The numbers are about the same for the Focus, which in 2017 could barely crack 15,000 sales a month most of the time. Ford hasn’t sold more than 5,000 Fiestas a month since March of last year. The Taurus, a once-great American nameplate, hasn’t even crossed the 4,000 mark in over a year. SUV and crossover sales aren’t just better, they’re more profitable.

These days, most buyers just do not want sedans when crossovers will do the same job with a minimal penalty in fuel economy. High-riding cars aren’t the “gas guzzlers” that dominated the market a decade ago. Crossovers are basically just cars, but higher up. People like the height, they like the extra room, and crossovers don’t even command a significant premium over their sedan counterparts. Enthusiasts long complained Americans wouldn’t buy things with a hatchback. Now they are. They just needed a few extra inches of ride height and the pretense of being “rugged” and “outdoorsy.”

But what about physics, you scream! And handling!

I got news for you, my fellow Jalop—no one cares. We care, and we wait to buy wagons and sports cars on the used market, but the vast majority of the car-buying public doesn’t even consider stuff like lateral Gs on the skidpad.

Furthermore, this is an American problem. People actually shopping for small cars and sedans have been so conditioned to favor the imports over the domestics, it has become a race to the bottom for Ford and Chevy with discounts and incentives to compete with the Japanese and Koreans. Chrysler couldn’t cut it so they bailed entirely. And putting all that cash on the hood just to undercut the competition doesn’t translate to good profits.

In killing off its sedans and small cars, Ford has effectively ceded that market to the Asian automakers for America, perhaps permanently.

As a professional car shopper I have brokered thousands of deals, a good majority of which were crossovers and trucks. I’ve been lucky enough to handle some deals on sports cars and other specialty vehicles, but I can count on one hand how many Fusions and Fiestas I’ve sought for clients.

Ford has seen the writing on the wall. It’s not worth selling a product if you can’t make any money on it.

I don’t believe this spells doom for car enthusiasm, or fun cars in general. It’s another sign the hobby needs to evolve, and become more focused on buying up used stuff and tuning, which many of us were doing anyway. In the interim, go find yourself a Focus RS or a Fiesta ST while you can.

DemonGeminiX
04-26-2018, 12:17 PM
In 2008, when I was looking for a new car, I ended up on the local Ford lot. If the Fusion was a 2-door coupe, that's what I would be driving today.

Muddy
04-26-2018, 01:35 PM
If I were to buy a car these days it would be a Toyota Avalon or a Lex.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-26-2018, 03:31 PM
Yeah, Im not a fan of Ford. After my F150 debacle, I doubt I would even entertain the idea of a Ford again.

Muddy
04-26-2018, 04:02 PM
F150?

PorkChopSandwiches
04-26-2018, 04:32 PM
We bought an F150 a few years back. Brand new, had to take it in at least 20 times because the A/C wouldn't stay cold. The dealer was a nightmare, the truck was a nightmare as it was the middle of summer and in the 110+ . Finally had to lemon law it and they gave us our money back, went and bought a Dodge Ram, best truck I have ever had :tup:

Muddy
04-26-2018, 05:50 PM
I bought a Dodge Ram new in 1998.. I still have it.. :)

PorkChopSandwiches
04-26-2018, 05:53 PM
They had a 2 year lease deal for $199 month, we liked it enough to buy it after the lease ended. The back cab is as big as the front :tup:

Muddy
04-26-2018, 05:56 PM
Still have it?

PorkChopSandwiches
04-26-2018, 06:05 PM
Yeah, we just bought out the lease in Feb. I imagine we will have it for a long time

Teh One Who Knocks
04-27-2018, 10:22 AM
If I were to buy a car these days it would be a Toyota Avalon or a Lex.

Well la de freaking da Mr Fancy Pants :saysyou:

Yeah, Im not a fan of Ford. After my F150 debacle, I doubt I would even entertain the idea of a Ford again.

The two Ford Rangers I had several years back were the two best vehicles I ever had. But the Nissan Frontier I'm driving now is gaining on them slowly.

Muddy
04-27-2018, 12:53 PM

And if I could afford it.. Thats why I dont "buy a car these days".. :lol:

Godfather
04-28-2018, 02:24 AM

The two Ford Rangers I had several years back were the two best vehicles I ever had. But the Nissan Frontier I'm driving now is gaining on them slowly.

I'm very excited they're bringing back the Ranger... there aren't any city-sized trucks on the road I don't think. My bro and dad have Tacomas but they're fucking huge :lol: I think they're as big as the Tundra was just a few years back now.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-28-2018, 10:39 AM
I'm very excited they're bringing back the Ranger... there aren't any city-sized trucks on the road I don't think. My bro and dad have Tacomas but they're fucking huge :lol: I think they're as big as the Tundra was just a few years back now.

When I'm in the market for my next truck, I will definitely take a look at the Ranger again :thumbsup:

Pony
04-28-2018, 12:09 PM
We bought an F150 a few years back. Brand new, had to take it in at least 20 times because the A/C wouldn't stay cold. The dealer was a nightmare, the truck was a nightmare as it was the middle of summer and in the 110+ . Finally had to lemon law it and they gave us our money back, went and bought a Dodge Ram, best truck I have ever had :tup:

Similar story with a friend but was a shake at highway speed.

I've been looking for a "new" cheap island car, leaning toward a small pickup or suv. Every Ranger I see from the late 90's- early 2000's seems to have a cracked frame. I'm currently borrowing a 92 Ranger 4x4 up here that seems real solid for it's age but he won't sell it to me. Will probably end up with an S10 or Blazer as they are a dime a dozen around here.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-28-2018, 03:42 PM
I had an S10 and I loved it