PDA

View Full Version : High school cheerleaders lash out at new rule that lets anyone join the squad following parent complaints

RBP
05-09-2018, 01:56 PM
A New Jersey high school has opted to do away with its standard cheerleading tryouts and let students who want to participate join the squad, TV News 12 New Jersey reports.

The move by Hanover Park High School in East Hanover was prompted by parent complaints about the scoring process for tryouts. According to a statement issued by the school, officials agreed that the current scoring, which meant the removal of five cheerleading hopefuls, was “arbitrary.”

“The high school administration decided to be more inclusive and not penalize any student from making the squad that did not achieve a score of 87 or better,” the statement noted. “The high school administration consulted with the cheering advisers, who indicated that this change would not create an undue burden on the program or their ability to properly supervise the students.”

While many have praised the new policy as more inclusive, some cheerleaders and their parents say it’s unfair to those who made the squad.

“I tried my hardest,” Stephanie Krueger said during a meeting with the local Board of Education on May 2. “Now everything is going away because of one child who did not make the team. And their parent complained, so now all my hard work has been thrown out the window.”

Added Jada Alcontara: “I came up here to state that I did not put in 18 months of work to lead up to this moment, just to be told it didn’t matter anymore.”

But the school administration is standing its ground.

“In order to facilitate a more inclusive program, the alignment between the various cheerleading squads would be modified to allow all interested students to be able to participate,” officials said in a previous statement. “This decision was made in the best interest of all students and was made to be as inclusive as possible.”

The decision has been met with criticism from those who say the school is bowing to pressure and rewarding inclusivity instead of merit.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2018, 01:59 PM
https://i.imgur.com/AvtAC55.jpg

RBP
05-09-2018, 02:04 PM
My thought was that the new members will last maybe a week and quit. Talk about mean girls on steroids!

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2018, 02:09 PM
Well, not just that, but are these girls that couldn't even make the squad normally going to put in all the time and effort of practicing and learning the routines?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2018, 02:35 PM
I guess this has to do with some elite squad of cheerleaders at the school. I'll add a story with more details in a sec.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-09-2018, 02:37 PM
CBS New York

https://i.imgur.com/UrAki4A.jpg

EAST HANOVER, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — A New Jersey high school is trying out a new cheerleading policy that is already stirring up a real hornet’s nest after a mother complained when her daughter didn’t make the cut.

The school decided the squads need to be more inclusive, CBS2’s Lisa Rozner reported Tuesday.

Sophomore Stephanie Krueger said she’s been practicing four days a week for the last decade, dreaming of making it to Hanover Park High School’s top tier cheering team, known as the “Black Squad.”

Last month, the school was using a scoring system that featured coaches judging on things like jumps and choreography. Krueger and a number of girls made the team, but students said the parent of a classmate who placed on a lower-level cheer squad complained to the school.

In a letter to students and parents (http://www.hanoverpark.org/Cheerleading%20letter%20to%20parents%20May%207_%20 2018%20_1_.pdf), the superintendent wrote the “process was invalid,” and that the historically elite team would be made up of every cheerleader in the 11th and 12th grades, instead of by skill level.

“All the time I’ve spent in my cheer gym practicing, constantly flipping, practicing my jumps, all was just like gone,” Krueger said. “I can’t believe, like, my hard work just dropped. It’s like telling a football player — your star varsity football player — they can’t play anymore because we want to make it all inclusive.”

“My biggest gripe is if you want to make a change, do it for next season. But don’t do it for this season. You already had the tryout,” parent Lisa Krueger added.

CBS2’s Rozner did reach out to the parent who complained as well as the district’s superintendent. Both declined her request for an on-camera interview.

In an email, the superintendent told CBS2 the new policy is “in the best interest of our students and was made to be as inclusive as possible.”

That didn’t mean people agree with it.

“I think it’s a bad precedent because this really actually isn’t the way the world is,” cheerleading parent Sharon Iossa said. “Everybody doesn’t get a trophy. You can’t be a Giants player just because you play football.”

“What about life? What about getting a job? You know? You’re going to have your mom come with you too to hold your hand?” Whippany resident Sandy Porciello said.

Former school cheerleaders were shocked upon hearing of the policy change.

“I was head cheerleader and my sister didn’t make it. My mom said, ‘You better get to work,'” said Amy Rega, who graduated from Hanover Park High School in 2003.

Private cheer coach Lisa Kretschman said the change could make it less likely for colleges to recruit cheerleaders from the school.

“These kids are muscular. They’re strong. They’re fast,” Kretschman said. “It’s not good for the image of cheerleading in general because you’re talking about a sport that already has to fight to be recognized.”

For a school whose mascot is the hornet, the issue tumbling into quite the hornet’s nest.

The state organization which governs the rules of high school sports said it does not recognize cheerleading as a sport, so the policy is ultimately up to the local school board.

DemonGeminiX
05-09-2018, 03:38 PM
Competition doesn't matter to liberals anymore. Any lazy slob can be considered just as good as the disciplined master at any trade or skill. Countries that compete against us in every area are going to slaughter us in the future.

Muddy
05-09-2018, 03:44 PM
Hopefully they do this on the football team and let everyone be the quarterback...

deebakes
05-10-2018, 03:29 AM
fat pigs shouldn't be cheerleaders :hand:

Pony
05-10-2018, 08:57 AM
“Everybody doesn’t get a trophy. You can’t be a Giants player just because you play football.”

Anyone could be a Browns player.

Goofy
05-10-2018, 09:53 AM
I think ill join their team, sounds like fun :tup:

deebakes
05-11-2018, 12:55 AM
they'll revert back to the old rules if you try :lol: