PDA

View Full Version : 'Reparations Happy Hour' invites white people to pay for drinks

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2018, 11:47 AM
By Christopher Carbone | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/FUDUhXQ.jpg

On Monday night, a bar in Portland, Oregon hosted people of color and gave them $10 as they arrived — a symbolic gift funded primarily by white people who were asked not to attend the “Reparations Happy Hour.”

A local activist group, Brown Hope, wanted the event to be a space for people of color in a mostly white city to meet, organize, discuss public policy and potentially plan various actions.

The notion of full-scale reparations — sought by some as compensation for the horrors of slavery, Jim Crow and the large wealth gap between white and black U.S. households — was supported by 58 percent of black people and 46 percent of Hispanic people in a 2016 poll.

However, 68 percent of white Americans do not support reparations; when the topic was brought up during the 2016 presidential campaign, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders said it was “divisive” and unlikely to get through Congress.

The economist Robert Browne once estimated a fair value for reparations of $1.4 trillion to $4.7 trillion and wrote that reparations should ''restore the black community to the economic position it would have had if it had not been subjected to slavery and discrimination.''

https://i.imgur.com/gqQLDXH.jpg
U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan and President Barack Obama stand together at the end of a ceremony
commemorating the 150th anniversary of the 13th Amendment, which formally abolished slavery in the
aftermath of the U.S. Civil War, at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, December 9, 2015.

Eric J. Miller, a professor at Loyola Law School, said the case for reparations involves a reckoning with the country's history.

“Part of our history is our grandparents participating in these acts of terrible violence [against black people],” he told HuffPost. “But people don’t want to acknowledge the horror of what they engaged in.”

“The cognitive dissonance of learning that your property is got and preserved on the back of the misery of others is not an incredibly nice thing to live with. So people would rather discount it,” Miller said.

Cameron Whitten, the 27-year-old activist who organized the event, said that attendees felt seen and valued by the Portland event — but noted there are much larger goals.

https://i.imgur.com/1WIRDlu.jpg
Attendees are seen at the "Reparations Happy Hour" in Portland, Oregon.

“We’re creating a platform to make sure our leadership is being seen and honored,” Whitten told Blavity. “This isn’t just, ‘We’re here to socialize.’ We’re here to do the work. In a place like Portland, where our community is so fractured … our first step is to bring us back together, and then from there organize and mobilize to create policies to create justice in our communities.”

There was enough interest in the idea, which was funded by about 100 people who were mostly white, to hold other happy hours, which will be called "Reparations Power Hour" to accomodate those who don't drink.

Whitten anticipated some of the criticism he's faced, telling the New York Times the event is not meant to diminish the seriousness of reparations.

In 2014, the writer Ta-Nehisi Coates made the case for reparations in the Atlantic. H.R. 40, which was introduced in Congress in January 2017, would study various reparations proposals.

Muddy
05-29-2018, 12:48 PM
Ya'll fools have fun with that. Home boy wont be attending or funding.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2018, 12:55 PM

Send them money :slap:

RBP
05-29-2018, 01:20 PM
I'd happily trade a $2 billion reparations payment for releases saying neither they nor any decedents can ever get payments from any welfare programs.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2018, 01:24 PM
I like the way you think :tup:

RBP
05-29-2018, 01:32 PM
I like the way you think :tup:

I actually meant TRILLION, but that would still pay for itself in under 10 years.

Muddy
05-29-2018, 01:55 PM
They would just blow it on stupid shit like jewelry and would be back with the old accusatory hand sticking back out wanting someone to fill it again. Reparations are a thing that can never be successfully implemented. What about the future generations of blacks? They're gonna want their due as well..

lost in melb.
05-29-2018, 02:00 PM
I'd happily trade a $2 billion reparations payment for releases saying neither they nor any decedents can ever get payments from any welfare programs.

What about a free coffee moratorium for 25 years?

RBP
05-29-2018, 02:20 PM
They would just blow it on stupid shit like jewelry and would be back with the old accusatory hand sticking back out wanting someone to fill it again. Reparations are a thing that can never be successfully implemented. What about the future generations of blacks? They're gonna want their due as well..

Has to end somewhere. If I am benefiting from the decisions of whites 400 years ago, then the future generations of blacks will have to live with the decisions made now. No welfare.

RBP
05-29-2018, 02:21 PM
What about a free coffee moratorium for 25 years?

At least the freedom to pee at will.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2018, 05:07 PM
I know they don't break it down by race, but it would be very interesting to see who uses the most welfare per capita by race.

RBP
05-29-2018, 06:59 PM
I know they don't break it down by race, but it would be very interesting to see who uses the most welfare per capita by race.

There are breakdowns. Blacks are always over-represented compared to population.

These are close to other numbers I have see, but "welfare" is defined a LOT of different ways.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2rhr8zt.png

https://brandongaille.com/welfare-statistics-by-race-state-and-payment/

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2018, 07:05 PM
I'm guessing that's not a per capita number because I'm guessing the percentage would be much higher for blacks.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2018, 07:07 PM
I'm guessing that's not a per capita number because I'm guessing the percentage would be much higher for blacks.

They are about 12% of the population and receive almost 40% of all the welfare

RBP
05-29-2018, 07:13 PM

They are about 12% of the population and receive almost 40% of all the welfare

Correct. That's pure numbers. Porky's right, I usually use 13%.

So 40% of $750 Billion is $300 Billion a year. That's a 6.7 year payback period on $2 Trillion. :tup:

Muddy
05-29-2018, 07:17 PM
Please do not use logics you repressive white mother fuckers...

PorkChopSandwiches
05-29-2018, 07:20 PM
:triggered:

lost in melb.
05-29-2018, 11:14 PM
Hate to crash the party, but given that blacks actually are as intelligent and capable as any other race, these statistics might reflect lingering generational poverty and trauma :dunno:

Not that they should be given limitless hand outs, but I think a bit of a leg up under appropriate circumstance is ok.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2018, 11:31 PM
Hate to crash the party, but given that blacks actually are as intelligent and capable as any other race, these statistics might reflect lingering generational poverty and trauma :dunno:

Not that they should be given limitless hand outs, but I think a bit of a leg up under appropriate circumstance is ok.

:-s

They've been getting a HUGE 'leg up' for more than 50 years in this country.

lost in melb.
05-30-2018, 12:03 AM
:-s

They've been getting a HUGE 'leg up' for more than 50 years in this country.

Do you think it has been helpful? Is the situation improving?

Muddy
05-30-2018, 12:28 AM
I think it has been enabling bad behavior..

RBP
05-30-2018, 04:24 AM

I'm of the opinion that's Johnson's "great society" safety net created generational welfare and isolated communities. They culturally devolved to the point that they are no longer viable. It's a nearly impossible divide to bridge at this point.

Remember the aboriginal housing experiments? Where they destroyed the new housing because they were operating under the same cultural norms they had in the bush? Same principle.

perrhaps
05-30-2018, 09:03 AM

Id attend if I got a free shoeshine

Muddy
05-30-2018, 12:26 PM
Oooooouch!! ^

Pony
05-30-2018, 09:53 PM
I think it has been enabling bad behavior..

I saw some stats some where on Jamaican immigrants to the US and how hugely successful they are. If anything, that right there proves your point. It's not "whitey" or the Govt keeping them down it's internal, cultural issues doing way more damage.

RBP
05-31-2018, 04:12 AM
I saw some stats some where on Jamaican immigrants to the US and how hugely successful they are. If anything, that right there proves your point. It's not "whitey" or the Govt keeping them down it's internal, cultural issues doing way more damage.

Ask a Jamaican (or any other black Caribbean nation immigrant) how they feel about being called African American.

DemonGeminiX
05-31-2018, 05:45 AM
Except for Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands, they're not Americans to begin with. And Puerto Ricans are majority White Hispanic. So...

lost in melb.
05-31-2018, 12:51 PM
I'm of the opinion that's Johnson's "great society" safety net created generational welfare and isolated communities. They culturally devolved to the point that they are no longer viable. It's a nearly impossible divide to bridge at this point.

Remember the aboriginal housing experiments? Where they destroyed the new housing because they were operating under the same cultural norms they had in the bush? Same principle.

Sure. I think it's part of a general cultural malaise in relation to the unnatural way in which we live. Work gives purpose, yet not everyone needs to work for the world to work. Further to this, we expect everyone to contribute.

Another question on my mind is, if someone is raised in an environment where their brains don't develop properly can the result be considered 'adult'?

RBP
05-31-2018, 01:08 PM
Sure. I think it's part of a general cultural malaise in relation to the unnatural way in which we live. Work gives purpose, yet not everyone needs to work for the world to work. Further to this, we expect everyone to contribute.

Another question on my mind is, if someone is raised in an environment where their brains don't develop properly can the result be considered 'adult'?

Wouldn't you consider the definition of cognitive development to also be culturally bound? Doesn't an "adult" in a rural African (or Aboriginal) Tribe has a different cognitive development level than a middle class "adult" in western society? So how you define "adult" differs? Not better or worse, just different necessity.

But to your first point, if you consider more tribal societies, everyone did have a purpose and a work routine for survival. The weak or lazy were culled by natural selection. We have eliminated the death of the weak with safety nets and provided incentives for them to breed at higher rates than those who provide for themselves - accelerating the problem. It's fascinating sociology.