PDA

View Full Version : Trump, NATO head Stoltenberg have testy exchange at summit

Teh One Who Knocks
07-11-2018, 10:25 AM
By Edmund DeMarche | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/CsGeevs.jpg

President Donald Trump on Wednesday had a testy exchange with the head of NATO when he asked about energy agreements between Russia and several European countries.

Trump repeatedly pressed Jens Stoltenberg, NATO's secretary general, on why the U.S. continued to pay money to the military alliance while countries continue to purchase energy from Moscow.
“We are stronger together,” Stoltenberg insisted, but acknowledged that there can be differences among allies.

Still, Trump persisted.

“But how can you be together when you’re getting energy from the group you want protection from?” the president asked.
Trump used Germany as an example. He asked Stoltenberg to explain why Berlin was getting energy from Moscow, and asserted that Germany was "totally controlled" by and "captive to Russia" over a pipeline project.

The president appeared to be referring to the Nord Stream 2 pipeline that would double the amount of gas Russia can send directly to Germany, skirting transit countries such as Ukraine. The project is opposed by the U.S. and some European Union members.

Trump said of Germany: "We're supposed to protect you against Russia and yet you make this deal with Russia."

“Explain that,” Trump said. “It can’t be explained."

The U.S. role in NATO has been a focal point for Trump since before he was elected president. He tweeted Monday that the situation was “not fair, nor is it acceptable.” He said NATO benefits Europe “far more than it does the U.S.”

Trump has called upon NATO allies to meet commitments to spend 2 percent of their GDP on defense.

He tweeted en route from Washington that European countries "want us to happily defend them through NATO, and nicely pay for it. Just doesn't work!"

Brussels is the first stop of Trump's week-long European tour that will include a visit to Britain and a meeting in Finland with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Fox News' Kristin Brown and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Muddy
07-11-2018, 03:48 PM
I like the content on Reddit, but I tell you.. That is one fuggin Anti-Trump crowd...

Teh One Who Knocks
07-11-2018, 04:21 PM
98.5% of the internet is anti-Trump :lol:

Muddy
07-11-2018, 04:44 PM
I have never seen so many people work against the leader of their own country.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-11-2018, 05:36 PM
It's been worse in the 18 months under Trump than it was the ENTIRE 8 years under Obama. The left liked to complain about the right during Obama but it was nothing like the left under Trump.

Muddy
07-11-2018, 07:06 PM
And Trump is actually producing results... It's crazy...

PorkChopSandwiches
07-11-2018, 07:13 PM
Trump said I would get tired of winning, I am not

Godfather
07-12-2018, 02:08 AM
Keep up the pressure. Our government promised to increase our defense spending... what a shock that they lied.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-12-2018, 10:07 AM
Even though he can be a little overboard sometimes, it's finally nice to have a president in office that doesn't pussyfoot around the issues and worry about hurting someone's feelings.

Muddy
07-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Pussyfooters don't make deals, they make concessions.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-12-2018, 01:41 PM
Keep up the pressure. Our government promised to increase our defense spending... what a shock that they lied.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue is really? It's not like the major NATO members (Canada, the UK, France, Germany) are poor countries. The US is only asking them to spend the pledged 2% of their GDP on defense spending. The US already supplies most of the military equipment and tech and troops so why is it so hard to have those countries pitch in like they said they would?

Hugh_Janus
07-12-2018, 07:34 PM
the uk is saving up for nex t year when the country falls on its ass :facepalm:

RBP
07-13-2018, 03:44 AM
I think we spend about 4%, Israel about 6%. No one else is even close. But someone can fast check me. But if you don't, it's fact. suck it. :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
07-13-2018, 10:44 AM
I think we spend about 4%, Israel about 6%. No one else is even close. But someone can fast check me. But if you don't, it's fact. suck it. :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/tsR1eWw.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
07-13-2018, 10:53 PM
https://i.imgur.com/tsR1eWw.jpg

That's what the spend but not to NATO.... right?

Godfather
07-14-2018, 01:51 AM

Which is why it cracks me up that the Sec. General of NATA has never been an American (or Canadian for that matter, and we rank 6th in spending of the 29 in terms of dollars) :lol: Like what the fuck kind of slap in the face is that.