PDA

View Full Version : Parents are throwing their daughters period parties

Teh One Who Knocks
07-18-2018, 11:26 AM
By Lucy Devine, The Sun

https://i.imgur.com/odedCYO.jpg

Wave goodbye to the stigma, because parents are now throwing “period parties” for their teenage daughters.

And party favors include packs of tampons, sanitary towels and uterus-shaped cakes.

Period parties focus on educating young girls about menstruation and teaching them the lessons they may not receive in sex education classes at school.

It’s intended to be an open space, where girls can discuss starting their period, ask questions and debunk any myths they may have heard from friends (like the age-old “can you get pregnant while on your period?”)

It’s not just about education, though.

Many young girls often feel apprehensive about starting their period. For parents, period parties are about making the occasion something to celebrate, rather than fear.

p/BkFtHpinm78

Last year, 12-year-old Brooke Lee from Florida made headlines after her mom, Shelly, threw her a period party.

Lee was given a chocolate cake decorated with red icing, as well as a pizza, pads and tampons.

Shelly revealed she organized the event after Lee confessed she was “worried” about starting her period. “I wanted to make this event a little more fun,” she told BuzzFeed.

Later, Lee’s 17-year-old cousin Autumn Jenkins shared images of the event on Twitter, captioned: “Brooke started her period today & my family is super extra.”
Lee isn’t the only one celebrating the milestone.

In her book, “Perfect is Boring,” supermodel Tyra Banks reveals her mom threw her a period party when she was 15.

Tyra’s mom, Carolyn London, described it as a celebration “of womanhood and an acknowledgment of passing into another realm.”

“Most of [the girls there] had never talked about their periods so openly before and in between the ‘yucks’ and giggles, they asked questions about everything from whether using tampons takes away your virginity to wanting to know if other people can tell when you’re on your period,” London wrote in the co-authored chapter.

p/393x95Fc3L

“I appreciate that [my mother] never wanted me to be ashamed of anything, or to think that there was something bad or dirty about my body,” revealed Tyra.

Now, period parties are becoming more common.

Last year, charities Bloody Good Period and The Cup Effect teamed up to host a huge period party.

“Over the course of an evening, we’ll cover all you need to know about cups, fannies and periods in a small group of awesome, like-minded babes,” said the groups.

The ticket cost ($39) covered the cost of a menstrual cup for one asylum seeker or refugee woman (including a fitting instruction session).

p/BfllByJADk9

Goofy
07-18-2018, 12:49 PM
:wha:

RBP
07-18-2018, 12:58 PM
This is weird. Period.

Teh One Who Knocks
07-18-2018, 01:07 PM
This is weird. Period.

https://i.imgur.com/NTD2U.jpg

deebakes
07-19-2018, 03:13 AM
:ffs:

Godfather
07-19-2018, 06:14 AM
This shit is weird.

What's sex ed class like these days I wonder?