PDA

View Full Version : Chicago's anti-violence protest could clash with Cubs game at Wrigley Field

Teh One Who Knocks
08-01-2018, 04:42 PM
Scott Gleeson, USA TODAY

https://i.imgur.com/01ocMEl.jpg

Organizers planning an anti-violence march from Chicago's Lakeshore Drive to Wrigleyville neighborhood have not ruled out forcing their way into Wrigley Field when the Cubs host the San Diego Padres on Thursday night.

As a result, the Cubs have worked with the Chicago Police Department to ensure safety for their fans by increasing security inside and outside the ballpark. The planned demonstration is expected to begin around 5 p.m. ET and culminate at Wrigley Field ahead of the game's 8:05 p.m. ET start — potentially setting up a swarm of protesters and Cubs fans together in the same vicinity.

Cubs spokesperson Julian Green said by email that the game will be played as usual and that the organization hopes "this demonstration will start and end without disruption and allow the participants an opportunity voice their concerns" — all without interfering with fans' "opportunity to enjoy a day at the ballpark."

The march on Chicago's north side is part of a protest calling for the resignations of Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Chicago Police superintendent Eddie Johnson because of their inability manage the city's ongoing violence on the south and west sides.

Rev. Gregory Livingston, who is leading the demonstration, told news reporters earlier this week that "you'll have to wait and see" if protesters enter the ballpark. And Rev. Ira Acree, another Chicago pastor helping spearhead the protest, told The Chicago Tribune on Monday that "we have people who are committed, who are ready to get arrested" and "we will have attorneys and people who will provide resources to bail them out." Both Livingston and Acree told reporters they did not seek the mayor's backing for their demonstration.

Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said in a statement that the CPD has met with organizers of the march to determine the size and noted: "In the end, CPD will protect individuals’ right to demonstrate but we also have a responsibility to balance the potential public safety and traffic implications of the event."

RBP
08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
What a nightmare.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-01-2018, 04:52 PM
I like that they might force their way into the stadium...because that will just bring so many people over to their cause :roll:

RBP
08-02-2018, 04:17 AM
I like that they might force their way into the stadium...because that will just bring so many people over to their cause :roll:

I had this conversation with my niece in Minneapolis. Just last night, BLM shut down the light rail there to prevent people from attending a Twins game. It is indisputable that the violence has increased everywhere BLM has protested.

In Chicago, they protested the racist corrupt police. The police backed off. Violence increased. Now they protest that. :dunno: ZERO introspection, ZERO acknowledgement that the problem is internal. They aren't protesting the gangs. They aren't encouraging people to speak up. If they had the balls, they would encourage snitch mentality and fight the gangs from the inside out. That will NEVER happen because it's all someone else's fault.

But it gets worse. They plan to shut down Lake Shore Drive at rush hour, with a Cubs game and Lalapalooza. The police can't allow that.

:popcorn:

Pony
08-02-2018, 10:29 AM
Wanna bet they show up to an "anti violence" protest with weapons?