PDA

View Full Version : Window Repair

Teh One Who Knocks
08-22-2018, 10:27 AM
Our house was built in 1997, so pretty much everything is still original from when it was manufactured. We have one window that we just found out recently was fucked up before we bought the house and that whoever owned it (or the renovators) did a shitty temporary repair job on it and it finally busted again. It's the window sash on a single hung window.

Without getting into everything that's wrong with it, we just need to replace the sash (the part of the window that slides up and down to open and close it). You would think this would be something simple, but it's not. No matter how you search for it, all you can come up with are companies that want to come out and give you an estimate to replace your entire window, which we don't need. Why the fuck doesn't anyone just sell the sash part, why do they want the whole window to be replaced. I don't need a new window and I don't need some 'installer' coming out to replace the sash when it's a 5 minute swap out that I can do myself.

Anyone else ever run into this?

KevinD
08-22-2018, 06:55 PM
Nope, but it's easy to swap the window yourself since it's most likely a standard size. New windows would be less than $500 most likely.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-22-2018, 07:12 PM
Nope, but it's easy to swap the window yourself since it's most likely a standard size. New windows would be less than $500 most likely.

That's the problem, finding the window sash that I need....NOBODY sells just the window sash :|

KevinD
08-22-2018, 07:28 PM
Have you thought of just replacing the glass in the sash?

Teh One Who Knocks
08-22-2018, 07:36 PM
The sash itself is what's fucked up unfortunately

RBP
08-22-2018, 09:48 PM
Sash is life, my friend.

The Monk
08-23-2018, 05:59 AM
Is it timber? Can a carpenter fix it?

Goofy
08-23-2018, 10:16 AM
It's old but it is beautiful, Its colours they are fine. It was worn at 'Derry, Aughrim, Enniskillen and the Boyne. My father wore it when a youth In bygone days of yore. And it's on the Twelfth I love to wear The sash my father wore!

Pony
08-23-2018, 10:41 AM
Try a glass company instead of a window company. They may be able to rebuild the whole sash.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-23-2018, 11:12 AM
Sash is life, my friend.

:slap:

Is it timber? Can a carpenter fix it?

It's vinyl

Try a glass company instead of a window company. They may be able to rebuild the whole sash.

Even vinyl? And at that point it would probably cost more than the cost of what just a sash should cost anyways. It just pisses me off that if part of your window breaks, they want to sell you an entire new fucking window. Why not just sell the damn window sash? :banghead:

DemonGeminiX
08-23-2018, 11:59 AM
Do you know what brand of window you have? According to Abraham Lincoln (e.g. the Internet), sash replacements kits are tied to the brand of window. You may have to get in touch with them directly.

And looking at it from the business perspective, it doesn't make financial sense for a company that sells windows to sell replacement window parts like sashes. They want to sell you new windows, regardless if you feel you need them or not.

https://www.thespruce.com/sash-replacement-kit-1822964

Teh One Who Knocks
08-23-2018, 12:09 PM
Do you know what brand of window you have? According to Abraham Lincoln (e.g. the Internet), sash replacements kits are tied to the brand of window. You may have to get in touch with them directly.

And looking at it from the business perspective, it doesn't make financial sense for a company that sells windows to sell replacement window parts like sashes. They want to sell you new windows, regardless if you feel you need them or not.

https://www.thespruce.com/sash-replacement-kit-1822964

Yeah, I know all that, been searching for quite awhile. It's a Milgard window and I tried contacting then through their website asking about a sash replacement and instead of a reply from them, I get a reply from a local window company that will 'contact me shortly about my new window installation needs'. :| Good thing I never use a real phone number or else they would have already been calling me. All I wanted was a quick simple answer, and instead they forward my inquiry (no doubt without even actually reading it) to a window company. :meh:

And as for the business logic, it still doesn't make sense. If my doorknob breaks, I don't need to buy a whole new door. If the alternator dies on my truck, I don't need to buy a whole new truck. If the lightbulb goes out in the fridge, I don't need to go by a brand new refrigerator.

If you make something, you should sell spare parts for it, period.

DemonGeminiX
08-23-2018, 12:46 PM
If the window was from the 90s, they probably have retired the model by now anyway. No one sells the same model of anything for 20+ years. Even if they did have replacement sashes for it at one point in time, they may have decided a while back that they can no longer justify the cost of manufacturing replacement parts for older models from 20+ years ago, especially when they've got these brand spanking new windows with all these spiffy new features that they want people to buy.

Sorry, man, but unless you know how to make a vinyl window sash to replace the one that's busted then you're stuck. You could always start a company that manufactures third party replacement parts for old vinyl windows. It seems there might be a market for it.

And they don't have to do anything if they don't wanna! [-(

Goofy
08-23-2018, 01:01 PM
Couldnt you just design and cut a new part yourself mate? :-k

RBP
08-23-2018, 01:09 PM
https://www.marvinwindowdoorparts.com/

RBP
08-23-2018, 01:16 PM
https://www.milgard.com/video/how-remove-and-reinsert-double-hung-window-sash

Teh One Who Knocks
08-23-2018, 01:33 PM
If the window was from the 90s, they probably have retired the model by now anyway. No one sells the same model of anything for 20+ years. Even if they did have replacement sashes for it at one point in time, they may have decided a while back that they can no longer justify the cost of manufacturing replacement parts for older models from 20+ years ago, especially when they've got these brand spanking new windows with all these spiffy new features that they want people to buy.

Sorry, man, but unless you know how to make a vinyl window sash to replace the one that's busted then you're stuck. You could always start a company that manufactures third party replacement parts for old vinyl windows. It seems there might be a market for it.

And they don't have to do anything if they don't wanna! [-(

I wonder if I can get on Shark Tank :-k

Couldnt you just design and cut a new part yourself mate? :-k

No, it's a vinyl window sash, I need the whole complete sash, not just a part for it.

https://www.marvinwindowdoorparts.com/

They don't sell window sashes

https://www.milgard.com/video/how-remove-and-reinsert-double-hung-window-sash

Like I said in the OP, I have a single hung window, not double hung, and I have no problem removing it. We already swapped out the bad sash with the one in the spare room so we can at least have the functioning window downstairs where we need it. We never open the window in the spare room.