PDA

View Full Version : Mom Let Her Daughter Walk the Dog Around the Block by Herself — Authorities Investigated Her for Two Weeks

Teh One Who Knocks
08-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Madison Dibble - Independent Journal Review

https://i.imgur.com/2YLcVdk.jpg

Corey Widen, a mother of two, received a visit from police after she allowed her 8-year-old daughter to walk their dog, Marshmallow, around the block without adult supervision.

According to the Chicago Tribune, an anonymous neighbor in Widen's Wilmette, Illinois, neighborhood reported the incident to police. This call launched a two-week child neglect investigation by the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS).

“For something like this to happen to me, there's something really wrong,” Widen told the Tribune.

Widen home-schools her daughter. She told the Tribune that a walk around the block is the only time of day the 8-year-old is away from her mother. She also said the majority of the walk is visible from the home's windows.

Police arrived at Widen's home after the original call and quickly determined that nothing criminal had occurred. They left shortly after. The same could not be said of DCFS. Its investigators interviewed the children, extended family, and the 8-year-old's pediatrician.

After digging around for two weeks and coming up empty, DCFS notified Widen's attorney that the investigation was over.

Many Americans were outraged by the story:
However, Widen's just happy the investigation is over.

“The funny thing is ... I'm a joke with my friends because my kids are around me all the time,” Widen said.

As for future walks around the block, the mom of two has no plans to change her parenting.

“No one will dictate my parenting choices,” she said.

RBP
08-24-2018, 12:09 PM
Just nuts.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-24-2018, 12:21 PM
Who sees a kid out walking their dog, probably multiple times a week, and decided to call the police and DCFS? :|

RBP
08-24-2018, 12:24 PM
Who sees a kid out walking their dog, probably multiple times a week, and decided to call the police and DCFS? :|

Hopefully a dementia patient, but unfortunately we've seen other examples.

Goofy
08-24-2018, 12:27 PM
Fuck sake....... so teaching your kid responsibilities is wrong now? :|

RBP
08-24-2018, 12:38 PM
I was just laughing because I think "what are you doing in the house?" was the most common phrase from my parents in the summer when I was a kid.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-24-2018, 12:58 PM
I was just laughing because I think "what are you doing in the house?" was the most common phrase from my parents in the summer when I was a kid.

Pretty much the same here...we never came in until it got really serious, like when my mom would throw in the middle name too when calling you to come in for lunch or dinner :lol:

Godfather
08-24-2018, 04:53 PM
I’ve told this before but I worked with a guy who was scared of his shadow. His 8 year old kid wasn’t even allowed to play in the back yard with his younger brothers without a parent.

One day we’re at the office and the Dad tells the kid to go wait by the car... 10 yards outside the office and right in front of giant windows. The kid looks scared and goes “... what if someone takes me.” I was dumbfounded because I know where he got that thinking from.

I once tried to tell this Dad that the world is getting safer and it’s nuts how little freedom kids have, plus if someone’s going to do something it’s exceedingly rare it’ll be some random stranger.

But nope... he said he’ll drive his kid up to the school doors until the end of high school because ‘there are sickos.’

I think if I have kids I’ll have to move to a small town where hopefully this helicopter parenting is less pervasive.

Teh One Who Knocks
08-24-2018, 05:30 PM
Yup, it's the absurd portrayal of 'stranger danger' on TV, that there's someone lurking around every corner waiting to snatch your kid up and steal him/her away and do god knows what to him/her. It's gotten absolutely ridiculous out there. It's come to a point where if I happened upon a kid that looked lost or scared or hurt, I would seriously have to consider whether or not to help them because there might be someone at the ready to call 911 and report me as trying to kidnap the kid or something. It's a fucked up world now that makes me as an adult have to think that way.

Griffin
08-24-2018, 06:05 PM
I wouldn't go outside alone if I lived anywhere near Chicago.

RBP
08-25-2018, 04:29 AM
I wouldn't go outside alone if I lived anywhere near Chicago.

:|

RBP
08-25-2018, 04:30 AM
Yup, it's the absurd portrayal of 'stranger danger' on TV, that there's someone lurking around every corner waiting to snatch your kid up and steal him/her away and do god knows what to him/her. It's gotten absolutely ridiculous out there. It's come to a point where if I happened upon a kid that looked lost or scared or hurt, I would seriously have to consider whether or not to help them because there might be someone at the ready to call 911 and report me as trying to kidnap the kid or something. It's a fucked up world now that makes me as an adult have to think that way.

Stranger Danger is up there with D.A.R.E as the worst examples of public safety campaigns.

perrhaps
08-25-2018, 08:44 AM

Hey, I told that brat and Marshmallow to STAY OFF MY YARD!