PDA

View Full Version : Migrants traveling to US sue Trump, government; claim violation of constitutional rights

Teh One Who Knocks
11-02-2018, 10:30 AM
By Edmund DeMarche, Amy Lieu | Fox News

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/922/kqkwIE.jpg

A dozen migrants traveling by foot from Honduras to the U.S. to seek asylum filed a class-action lawsuit Thursday against President Trump, the Department of Homeland Security and others, claiming a violation of their due process under the Fifth Amendment.

The Fifth Amendment states that, "no person… shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law."

A recent PBS report cited former Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, who ruled in 1993 case that "it is well established that the Fifth Amendment entitles aliens to due process of law in a deportation proceeding."

Twelve Honduran nationals, including six children, are listed as plaintiffs in the lawsuit. The suit, which was filed Thursday in the U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C., said it is widely known that Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador are “undergoing a well-documented human rights crisis.”

The lawsuit also claims that the plaintiffs’ right to the Administrative Procedures Act and the Declaratory Judgement Act were being infringed upon.

The Central American migrant caravan now numbers approximately 4,000 people, down from a high of 7,200.

The lawsuit points to Trump's claim that he will prevent the caravan from entering the U.S. It claims that the president cannot stop asylum-seekers by employing the military -- when they have a fair claim. The suit criticized the president's attempt at stoking "fear and hysteria," by claiming that criminals and gang members have joined the caravan.

The suit cited a Trump interview with Fox News’ Laura Ingraham, where the president laid out plans to build tent cities to house migrants. The suit questioned the functionality of such a project, and asked if these living quarters would qualify under the Flores Agreement of 1997. The agreement protects asylum-seekers’ rights and limits how long minors can be held.

Earlier this summer, a federal judge in California rejected a request by the administration to modify Flores to allow for longer family detention. Administration officials say they have the authority to terminate the agreement, but that is likely to be tested in court.

The White House, Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security -- which were all named as defendants -- did not immediately respond to Fox News' request for comment.

Nexus Services Inc. is funding the lawsuits through a civil rights law firm called Nexus Derechos Humanos (Human Rights) Attorneys Inc.

"Federal law enables migrants to apply for asylum in the United States. President Trump and his administration have used ‘increased enforcement,’ like separating families and lengthening detention to violate migrant rights," Mike Donovan, president of Nexus Services, said in the release.

There is another legal issue at stake, according to the lawsuit. The U.S. cannot send troops into Mexico to cut off the caravan from crossing the border. Even with the National Guard at the border, once an immigrant indicates an intention to apply for asylum, the process has begun.

Immigrants who are seeking asylum must be referred for a “credible fear interview,” for which an asylum officer would determine if the immigrant has a “credible fear of persecution,” the lawsuit said. If the officer makes that determination, then there is a significant chance for the asylum-seeker to be granted asylum, according to the suit.

Trump announced in a lengthy speech at the White House on Thursday afternoon that in response to what he called the "crisis at our southern border" and a surge of fraudulent asylum claims in recent years, his administration will soon require asylum-seekers to "lawfully present themselves" at a port of entry.

Asylum claims made by migrants caught crossing the border illegally would seemingly be summarily denied under Trump's proposal.

The asylum clause of the Immigration and Nationality Act says that anyone who arrives to the U.S. may apply for asylum based on a well-founded fear of persecution, and Trump's decision was likely to prompt immediate federal court challenges.

Fox News' Gregg Re and The Associated Press contributed to this report

DemonGeminiX
11-02-2018, 10:32 AM
You don't have constitutional rights. You're not fucking citizens. The constitution does not apply to the entire world.

RBP
11-02-2018, 01:59 PM
You don't have constitutional rights. You're not fucking citizens. The constitution does not apply to the entire world.

Well, yes, but there are still immigration laws.

DemonGeminiX
11-02-2018, 02:41 PM
They don't favor the migrants headed here.

Godfather
11-02-2018, 04:50 PM
This headline sounds almost like an Onion article :lol:

I’m going to sue the US government for not protecting my gun rights in the province of British Columbia, Canada.

Godfather
11-02-2018, 04:51 PM
The US should countersue for unpaid taxes :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-02-2018, 10:13 PM
:rofl:

lost in melb.
11-04-2018, 12:22 PM
https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/armed-american-militias-heed-trump-and-head-south-to-confront-caravan-20181104-p50dxe.html

Here we go...:roll:

RBP
11-04-2018, 01:01 PM
https://www.smh.com.au/world/north-america/armed-american-militias-heed-trump-and-head-south-to-confront-caravan-20181104-p50dxe.html

Here we go...:roll:

Nothing unusual here. There's a sign in my neighborhood to call the community watch number if we see suspicious activity.

The Rio Grande is less than a mile from Metz's living room window, and a section of border wall crosses his property. He has watched for years as border-crossers ford the river and walk onto his land, their first step on American soil. The wall has slowed the flow significantly, he said, but between 50 and 100 people a day still cross through the farm next door.

Shut it down.

lost in melb.
11-04-2018, 04:23 PM
Shut it down.

It is weird. I just don't think a bunch of dudes with guns is helpful

PorkChopSandwiches
11-04-2018, 06:52 PM
We tried asking nicely

DemonGeminiX
11-04-2018, 07:13 PM
The only problem I see is that the military is there. The military and "militia" may not see eye to eye on how to deal with a potential situation and cause a situation between each other. I think everybody should get on the same page before these migrants start showing up. We do have law in this country. The "militia" should be aware of it and respect it. We do not want skirmishes breaking out between our soldiers and citizens.

I do have a fundamental problem with these migrants being killed if and when they try to cross the border. As far as I'm concerned, murder is murder, no matter how you cut it. If the soldiers find themselves going up against people that are armed and aggressive, then yes, they should respond swiftly and decisively. But a lot of these migrants will not be armed. No, I don't want them here, and yes, we did ask nicely, but arrest them, detain them, and send them back if they don't meet the criteria for asylum. There's probably going to be a lot of them that don't meet our legal criteria for asylum. But still, there is a legal process for determining whether or not they do. Use it the way it was meant to be used. The way it should be used. In the end, these are still people and they still have basic human rights that should be respected.

Pony
11-04-2018, 10:17 PM
I dunno if the whole caravan is going to show up at the same place? If so the military can handle it. Hopefully peacefully. If they spread out across the border and try and force their way across with violence it could get real nasty.

RBP
11-05-2018, 12:08 AM
The only problem I see is that the military is there. The military and "militia" may not see eye to eye on how to deal with a potential situation and cause a situation between each other. I think everybody should get on the same page before these migrants start showing up. We do have law in this country. The "militia" should be aware of it and respect it. We do not want skirmishes breaking out between our soldiers and citizens.

I do have a fundamental problem with these migrants being killed if and when they try to cross the border. As far as I'm concerned, murder is murder, no matter how you cut it. If the soldiers find themselves going up against people that are armed and aggressive, then yes, they should respond swiftly and decisively. But a lot of these migrants will not be armed. No, I don't want them here, and yes, we did ask nicely, but arrest them, detain them, and send them back if they don't meet the criteria for asylum. There's probably going to be a lot of them that don't meet our legal criteria for asylum. But still, there is a legal process for determining whether or not they do. Use it the way it was meant to be used. The way it should be used. In the end, these are still people and they still have basic human rights that should be respected.

But if someone entered your home unlawfully, you'd shoot them, and rightfully so. But wait, maybe the poor person was just seeking a better life in your home. :sad: You racist nazi.

Is it really that much different that you would consider it self defense entering your home illegally, but consider it murder when they enter OURS illegally?

RBP
11-05-2018, 12:09 AM
I dunno if the whole caravan is going to show up at the same place? If so the military can handle it. Hopefully peacefully. If they spread out across the border and try and force their way across with violence it could get real nasty.

They've already splintered after a dispute with the "organizers".

DemonGeminiX
11-05-2018, 07:57 PM
I'm reading that a lot of these migrants are military aged males and waving the Honduran flag. Is that true?

PorkChopSandwiches
11-05-2018, 08:15 PM
https://i.imgur.com/OPBIBuA.jpg

DemonGeminiX
11-05-2018, 08:27 PM
Ok, forget the crap I posted earlier. If they breech our border, we need to use all the force we have at our disposal. Cut them down. And let the world see it.

lost in melb.
11-05-2018, 09:52 PM
:ok:

The women first, or the kids :ok:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-05-2018, 09:58 PM
:ok:

The women first, or the kids :ok:

The illegals

lost in melb.
11-05-2018, 10:01 PM
The illegals

Oh come on. I know you guys shoot from the hip, but still...

RBP
11-05-2018, 10:14 PM
Oh come on. I know you guys shoot from the hip, but still...

The military deployment is (as usual) way overblown by the press and the leftists. They are providing logistics and operational support and will not even be armed. Only the military police will carry weapons. They will not be protecting border patrol or have any engagement with migrants.

DemonGeminiX
11-05-2018, 10:18 PM
Well that's no fun. How will they be able to play whack-a-Honduran for our amusement?

[-(

RBP
11-05-2018, 10:25 PM
:lol:

RBP
11-05-2018, 10:25 PM
But isn't it amazing the bullshit we are fed by the press and the leftists?

RBP
11-05-2018, 10:27 PM
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/11/05/why-were-active-duty-forces-picked-over-guard-to-defend-the-border-capabilities-pentagon-says/
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/11/02/here-are-the-rules-of-engagement-for-troops-deploying-to-the-mexican-border/

DemonGeminiX
11-05-2018, 10:51 PM
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/11/05/why-were-active-duty-forces-picked-over-guard-to-defend-the-border-capabilities-pentagon-says/
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/11/02/here-are-the-rules-of-engagement-for-troops-deploying-to-the-mexican-border/

This week. U.S. Northern Command chief Air Force Gen. Terrence O’Shaughnessy

:shock:

Oh Shaq Hennessy's not a high school principal any more?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-05-2018, 10:59 PM
The military deployment is (as usual) way overblown by the press and the leftists. They are providing logistics and operational support and will not even be armed. Only the military police will carry weapons. They will not be protecting border patrol or have any engagement with migrants.

Don't confuse the issue with facts :nono:

lost in melb.
11-06-2018, 02:45 AM

Ok, but Trump was still fanning the flames about an invasion. Cuts both ways, but your point taken.

lost in melb.
11-06-2018, 02:47 AM
Well that's no fun. How will they be able to play whack-a-Honduran for our amusement?

[-(

You mean this game? :canon:

:whistle:

:micdrop:

DemonGeminiX
11-06-2018, 03:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ya6z-NlDo

RBP
11-06-2018, 04:35 AM
Ok, but Trump was still fanning the flames about an invasion. Cuts both ways, but your point taken.

But he's the master. That's what he does. How brilliant was his anti-immigration ad? Whip up the base, completely freak out the liberals, get the ad pulled so it costs you nothing, and have a 24 hour news cycle ad nauseum discussing his ad.

Marketer's dream.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-06-2018, 04:43 PM
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/922/uRrfkk.jpg

RBP
11-06-2018, 04:52 PM
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/922/uRrfkk.jpg

That's one of my go-to stories. That and logically following their mantra to force them to admit they don't believe in American sovereignty.