PDA

View Full Version : Washington DC could lower voting age to 16 for 2020

Teh One Who Knocks
11-05-2018, 12:00 PM
The Associated Press

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/924/efEN5r.jpg

The Washington, D.C., City Council is preparing to vote on a bill to lower the voting age to 16 for all elections, both local and federal.

WTOP-FM reports the bill won 3-0 approval in the Judiciary and Public Safety committee Thursday and will get a final vote before the full council this month.

The 26th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees citizens 18 and older the right to vote, but scholars have said it doesn't prevent a state, or in this case, the nation's capital, from setting a lower age.

Council member Charles Allen says his bill will "enfranchise the District's young people and bring their voices into the political process."

Muddy
11-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Jesus.. Are people this desperate? Is a kid that age really able to make an informed decision?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Jesus.. Are people this desperate? Is a kid that age really able to make an informed decision?

Anything they can do to increase the amount of voters that will vote democrat. And no, a 16 year old is DEFINITELY not informed enough to make these kinds of decisions. I don't even think an 18 year old is really. The voting age should be moved to 21 IMHO.

Pony
11-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Anything they can do to increase the amount of voters that will vote democrat. And no, a 16 year old is DEFINITELY not informed enough to make these kinds of decisions. I don't even think an 18 year old is really. The voting age should be moved to 21 IMHO.

Pretty much exactly what I was gonna say. It would all but guarantee Left wins.

Muddy
11-05-2018, 04:19 PM
I'm down for 21, but the whole you can go in the military and shoot someone in head but you cant have a beer thing bugs me a little.. But if the military doesn't pluck them right out of High School then the enrollment numbers would plummet.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-05-2018, 04:26 PM
I'm down for 21, but the whole you can go in the military and shoot someone in head but you cant have a beer thing bugs me a little.. But if the military doesn't pluck them right out of High School then the enrollment numbers would plummet.

The 18yo vs 21yo thing doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Yeah, it's a bit hypocritical to allow kids to go to war at 18 but they can't drink (or smoke in some states now) until they are 21, but joining the military in this country isn't compulsory, it's completely voluntary. And for some kids getting out of high school, joining the service is their best chance going forward. So without that, you would have a lot of kids in that 18-20 year old range with nothing really to look forward to as far as prospects.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-05-2018, 04:38 PM
Another thing on this, if this were to pass, I wonder how many parents would be "helping" their minor children fill out the ballots?

Muddy
11-05-2018, 04:53 PM
The 18yo vs 21yo thing doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Yeah, it's a bit hypocritical to allow kids to go to war at 18 but they can't drink (or smoke in some states now) until they are 21, but joining the military in this country isn't compulsory, it's completely voluntary. And for some kids getting out of high school, joining the service is their best chance going forward. So without that, you would have a lot of kids in that 18-20 year old range with nothing really to look forward to as far as prospects.

Plus when they graduate if they cant go right in, most would get jobs and obligations that they could not just walk away as easily loans, kids, etc.

PorkChopSandwiches
11-05-2018, 04:56 PM
This is idiotic, if anything the age should be pushed to 21