PDA

View Full Version : New California Law Allows Children as Young as 12 to Get Transgender Treatments Without Parental Consent

Teh One Who Knocks
11-05-2018, 08:35 PM
Brianna Heldt - Townhall

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/5508/offbKt.jpg

A new law recently passed in California allows children as young as 12 years old to receive taxpayer-funded transgender treatments and services, without parental consent.

The controversial California law, known as AB 2119, is intended to “provide that the rights of minors and nonminors in foster care, as described above, include the right to be involved in the development of case plan elements related to placement and gender affirming health care, with consideration of their gender identity.” AB 2119 was authored by Assemblyman Todd Gloria (D).

Costs related to the treatments will reportedly be covered by tax-paying Californians, based on a provision included in the legislation.

“All children in foster care, as well as former foster youth up to 26 years of age, are entitled to Medi-Cal coverage without cost share or income or resource limits”, reads the bill. “The Medi-Cal program provides transition-related health care services when those services are determined to be medically necessary.”

A sub-provision also stipulates that all rights afforded to children in the foster care system, such as the right to confidential health and mental care, will also now apply to “gender affirming healthcare.”

Foster parents will have no say over whether or not the children in their care obtain these services.

Prior to passage of the bill, the American College of Pediatricians filed testimony against the legislation, strongly urging California legislators to reject it.

“Children with gender dysphoria believe they are not their biological sex,” the March 2018 testimony read. “A delusion is a fixed false belief. This bill proposes that foster children with gender dysphoria be socially affirmed into their delusion, and allowed to obtain experimental puberty blockers, and dangerous cross-sex hormones and surgery without parental consent.”

The American College of Pediatricians cited a number of statistics in favor of their position against the bill, including the fact that roughly 88 percent of gender dsyphoric girls and 98 percent of gender dysphoric boys will, if given time, go on to identify with their biological sex by late adolescence.

The testimony also detailed a number of dangerous side effects associated with puberty blocking drugs and cross-sex hormones. Those side effects allegedly include heart attack, stroke, diabetes, hypertension, and cancer, in addition to the fact that transgender adults are twenty times more likely to commit suicide than those in the general population.

“Passage of this legislation will allow emotionally disturbed children to consent to dangerous life-altering procedures that will not reduce their risk for suicide in the long term,” warned the American College of Pediatricians. “This would be a criminal outcome.”

AB 2119 was signed into law by California Governor Jerry Brown on September 14.

RBP
11-05-2018, 08:40 PM
Insane. So in California you can't get a tattoo nor an abortion without parental consent, but you can get transgender treatments?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-05-2018, 08:45 PM
Insane. So in California you can't get a tattoo nor an abortion without parental consent, but you can get transgender treatments?

And they don't have to pay for it either, the taxpayers do :tup:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-05-2018, 08:53 PM
:suicide:

Muddy
11-05-2018, 08:54 PM
"without parental consent" wow....

Pony
11-05-2018, 09:45 PM
This is nuts. Ask an average 12YO what they want to do for a career when they grow up. The answers will be enough information to confirm they need parental guidance and are not yet capable of making big life decisions.

Muddy
11-05-2018, 09:54 PM
Prior to passage of the bill, the American College of Pediatricians filed testimony against the legislation, strongly urging California legislators to reject it.

“Children with gender dysphoria believe they are not their biological sex,” the March 2018 testimony read. “A delusion is a fixed false belief. This bill proposes that foster children with gender dysphoria be socially affirmed into their delusion, and allowed to obtain experimental puberty blockers, and dangerous cross-sex hormones and surgery without parental consent.”

The American College of Pediatricians cited a number of statistics in favor of their position against the bill, including the fact that roughly 88 percent of gender dsyphoric girls and 98 percent of gender dysphoric boys will, if given time, go on to identify with their biological sex by late adolescence.

The testimony also detailed a number of dangerous side effects associated with puberty blocking drugs and cross-sex hormones. Those side effects allegedly include heart attack, stroke, diabetes, hypertension, and cancer, in addition to the fact that transgender adults are twenty times more likely to commit suicide than those in the general population.

“Passage of this legislation will allow emotionally disturbed children to consent to dangerous life-altering procedures that will not reduce their risk for suicide in the long term,” warned the American College of Pediatricians. “This would be a criminal outcome.”

You legislators better listen to these docs... Some very strong language and stats in here from a big group of very smart people.

lost in melb.
11-05-2018, 09:58 PM
Thankfully just hormone treatment. But eventually??

Godfather
11-05-2018, 10:43 PM
This is nuts. Ask an average 12YO what they want to do for a career when they grow up. The answers will be enough information to confirm they need parental guidance and are not yet capable of making big life decisions.

I'm actually quite curious about this. I wonder what percent of people who have gender reassignment regret or change their mind and reverse the process or stop the hormone treatments?

And even if the number is low, how low would it have to be to still make this acceptable for a minor to decide upon?

RBP
11-05-2018, 11:13 PM
I'm actually quite curious about this. I wonder what percent of people who have gender reassignment regret or change their mind and reverse the process or stop the hormone treatments?

And even if the number is low, how low would it have to be to still make this acceptable for a minor to decide upon?

From Muddy's post above.

Not vouching for veracity...

Godfather
11-06-2018, 12:12 AM
From Muddy's post above.

Not vouching for veracity...

I saw this but what's odd (and I know this is a shit source) is that a podcast I listened to referenced a study where the figure was under 5%. I'm trying to remember what podcast that was so I can dig it up but those are radically different figures :lol: But from a quick google, I think Muddy's post is far more in line with the prevalent literature.

Godfather
11-06-2018, 12:22 AM
Maybe this was it:

I’ve read articles by Brynn Tannehill, a transgender woman who writes for the Huffington Post, that refute Walt Heyer’s claims:

Surgical regret is actually very uncommon. Virtually every modern study puts it below 4 percent, and most estimate it to be between 1 and 2 percent (Cohen-Kettenis & Pfafflin 2003, Kuiper & Cohen-Kettenis 1998, Pfafflin & Junge 1998, Smith 2005,Dhejne 2014). In some other recent longitudinal studies, none of the subjects expressed regret over medically transitioning (Krege et al. 2001, De Cuypere et al. 2006).

It'll be interesting to see this data for real in 20 years, as it seems to be really taking off right now (though I haven't looked at all into the numbers and whether they're increasing or if that's just perception)

RBP
11-06-2018, 04:32 AM
Maybe this was it:

It'll be interesting to see this data for real in 20 years, as it seems to be really taking off right now (though I haven't looked at all into the numbers and whether they're increasing or if that's just perception)

Apples and Oranges. Experiencing gender dysphoria as a pre- or early teen and choosing birth sex after puberty is a completely different discussion from surgical regret.

Godfather
11-06-2018, 04:38 AM
Apples and oranges you say :-k

https://i.imgur.com/zldAHua.png

RBP
11-06-2018, 04:40 AM
That's a grapefruit, heathen.

Godfather
11-06-2018, 04:48 AM
It underwent species reassignment you racist

RBP
11-06-2018, 05:00 AM
How typical. I point out fake news and get called a racist. Fucking liberals.

:P