PDA

View Full Version : Kirsten Powers: Voting For Trump Because You Didn't Like Hillary Clinton "Doesn't Make You Not Racist"

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2018, 01:30 PM
By Ian Schwartz - Real Clear Politics

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/8294/UNciaW.jpg

CNN contributor Kirsten Powers said just because you voted for Donald Trump in 2016 because you didn't like Hillary Clinton "doesn't make you not racist." In fact, the 'USA Today' columnist said, "it actually makes you racist."

"People will say that they support him for reasons other than his racist language," Powers said. "The way he demonized people trying to come to our country on the caravan, and they'll say, well, I'm not racist, I just voted for him because I didn't like Hillary Clinton."

"I just want to say that doesn't make you not racist. It actually makes you racist. If you support somebody who does racist things, that makes you racist. I just want to establish that," Powers said Friday night

Powers acknowledged that white women support and benefit from the "white patriarchal system". Powers described a society of women "attached to white men" in a system full of fathers, husbands, and brothers.

"I think we have to remember that the white patriarchal system actually benefits white women in a lot of the ways and they're attached to white men who are benefiting from the system that was created by them, for them, and their fathers and their husbands and their brothers are benefiting from the system and so they are also benefiting," she said.

"White women are themselves oppressed and that they would therefore be able to align themselves with other oppressed people," Powers also said.

From Friday's edition of 'CNN Tonight' with host Don Lemon:

DON LEMON, CNN HOST: So white women supported Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election. He won 52 percent of their votes. Though when you look at all women including women of color, Hillary Clinton had more support. She got 54 percent. Now, a wave of women, white, black and brown are sweeping into office after the 2018 election.

Does Donald Trump still have the support of a majority of white women and if so, why is that? Let's talk about it. Here to discuss, Kirsten Powers, Alice Stewart and Stephanie Jones-Rogers, she is a professor of history at UC Berkeley and the author of "They Were Her Property." Hello, one and all. This is a very important conversation. I'm sure it's going to stir up controversy in a number of different quarts. Be prepared for that. So thank you for joining us.

Kirsten, let me start with you. There's been a lot of talk about why white women support President Trump despite of or perhaps because of his policies and his tone. What's your take on this?

KIRSTEN POWERS, CNN POLITICAL ANALYST: Well, I think there's a lot of different ways to look at this. I think one of the first things is that people will say that they support him for reasons other than his racist language which we don't have time to go through, but there's all sorts of things starting from the launch of his campaign all the way up until the latest campaign.

The way he demonized people trying to come to our country on the caravan, and they'll say, well, I'm not racist, I just voted for him because I didn't like Hillary Clinton. And I just want to say that that's not -- that doesn't make you not racist. It actually makes you racist. If you support somebody who does racist things, that makes you racist. I just want to establish that.

As for why white women do it, I think we have to recognize that white men are doing it as well, but I think sometimes we would hope that we would get better behavior from white women because white women are themselves oppressed and that they would therefore be able to align themselves with other oppressed people.

But I think we have to remember that the white patriarchal system actually benefits white women in a lot of the ways and they're attached to white men who are benefiting from the system that was created by them, for them, and their fathers and their husbands and their brothers are benefiting from the system and so they are also benefiting.

Goofy
11-19-2018, 01:49 PM
:-s

Muddy
11-19-2018, 01:57 PM
:lol: get tha fuck outta here... :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2018, 02:00 PM
The only way to prove you weren't racist was to vote for Hillary whether you liked her or not :nono:

PorkChopSandwiches
11-19-2018, 04:35 PM
Why is it if you dont want illegals flooding your country that you are racist?

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Why is it if you dont want illegals flooding your country that you are racist?

:racist:

Muddy
11-19-2018, 05:09 PM
I dont have to prove anything to anybody..

Teh One Who Knocks
11-19-2018, 05:30 PM
I dont have to prove anything to anybody..

:privilege:

Griffin
11-19-2018, 05:40 PM
So along this train of thought, if I'm a jurist for a trial where all evidence presented by the prosecution is irrefutable and the defense has offered nothing to put any reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty, then I would be a racist unless that person is a middle aged white man.