PDA

View Full Version : American believed to have been killed by isolated tribe on Indian island

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2018, 10:34 AM
By Louis Casiano | Fox News

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/CZyelj.jpg

Police in India believe an American was killed by an island tribe known to attack outsiders with bows and arrows, officials said Wednesday.

The identity of the man killed was not revealed, but authorities believe he died on Saturday. Vijay Singh, a police officer said seven fishermen who allegedly facilitated his trip to North Sentinel Island were arrested.

The island is part of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, a group of islands in the Bay of Bengal between Indian and Myanmar. Visitation is heavily restricted by the Indian government.

Indian media reports said the American was on an adventure trip when his body was discovered by a fisherman. The investigation into his death is ongoing.

The U.S. Consulate in Chennai, in the capital of Tamil Nadu state, said it was aware of reports of the American but declined to comment.

Shiv Viswanathan, a social scientist at the Jindal Global Law School, said the island is a protected area and not open to tourist.

“The exact population of the tribe is not known, but it is declining,” Viswanathan said. “The government has to protect them.”

The Sentinelese people that inhabit the island are known to act hostile to visitors, often attacking them.

In 2006, two Indian fishermen were killed by local tribespeople when their boat broke loose and drifted to shore.

Poachers are known to illegally fish in the waters surrounding the island for turtles, lobster and sea cucumbers.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Goofy
11-21-2018, 12:57 PM
Vijay Singh's a golfer :hand:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-21-2018, 12:58 PM
Maybe that name in India is like 'John Smith' :dunno:

deebakes
11-22-2018, 12:30 AM
:dunce:

Teh One Who Knocks
11-26-2018, 12:32 PM
By Louis Casiano | Fox News

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/pBtfHk.jpg

John Allen Chau, the American missionary who was killed by an isolated tribe on a remote Indian island, reportedly wrote in his journal hours before his death, "God, I don't want to die."

Chau, 26, of Vancouver, Wash., chronicled his last days while traveling to the Andaman Islands. He was intent on making contact with the Sentinelese tribe on North Sentinel Island, according to his journals shared by his mother with the Washington Post.

“You guys might think I’m crazy in all this but I think it’s worthwhile to declare Jesus to these people,” he wrote in a last note to his family on Nov. 16, shortly before he left the safety of the fishing boat to meet the tribesmen on the island. “God, I don’t want to die."

The tribesmen, who stood about 5-feet -5 inches tall with yellow paste on their faces, reacted angrily to Chau’s presence, he wrote, as he attempted to speak their language and sing worship songs.

“I hollered, ‘My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves you,’” Chau wrote, adding that a child shot at him with an arrow that missed and pierced his waterproof Bible.

Chau was illegally ferried by to the island by fishermen before taking a kayak alone to shore.

In an email to Chau's mother, Lynda Adams-Chau, a fellow missionary wrote that the fishermen saw the tribe burying the adventurer on the beach the next day. Several of the fishermen involved in helping Chau travel to the island, as well as a friend who helped organize the boat trip, have been arrested.

“They were very well aware of the situation, but they still arranged for a boat and everything,” said police official Deepak Yadav, a move he described as “pushing [Chau] in the mouth of death.”

https://i.imgur.com/IVWbL2L.png

Chau’s family have pleaded for their release, saying he acted “on his own free will.”

He often posted photographs of his worldwide travels online.

In Instagram posts and journals, Chau wrote that he found the remote Sentinel Island inspiring but frightening.

“Why does this beautiful place have to be have so much death here?” he wrote. “I hope this isn’t one of my last notes but if it is ‘to God be the Glory.’”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Muddy
11-26-2018, 02:15 PM
You knew they were unfriendly savages. You chose to go push your religion anyway and had faith it would protect you. You are kind of like the skydiver who's shoot did not open. It was a known risk.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-26-2018, 02:21 PM
It was God's will

Muddy
11-26-2018, 02:22 PM
The guy was a brainwashed fool.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-26-2018, 02:23 PM
He was shot at with arrows, retreated, and STILL tried to go back again. He got what he deserved IMHO.

Muddy
11-26-2018, 02:24 PM
Leave the fucking inhabitants alone...!!!

Teh One Who Knocks
11-26-2018, 02:27 PM
I just hope he was completely healthy and didn't spread something to the natives. One story I saw said that's another reason that it's heavily restricted for outsiders to visit the island. Not only because it's dangerous, but because the natives there have no immunity against even the most common of illnesses in the rest of the world.

Muddy
11-26-2018, 02:28 PM
God was going to protect the natives from modern illnesses.. He just needed them to believe.

perrhaps
11-27-2018, 09:58 AM
God was going to protect the natives from modern illnesses.. He just needed them to believe.

As a Deformed Catholic (I only go to church for weddings and funerals) I am obligated to remind you that more people have been killed in the name of God than saved by it.

Muddy
11-27-2018, 11:31 AM
As a Deformed Catholic (I only go to church for weddings and funerals) I am obligated to remind you that more people have been killed in the name of God than saved by it.

Im well aware.. I forgot the /s in my post..

PorkChopSandwiches
11-28-2018, 06:49 PM
https://i.redd.it/zsfzmhc9v3121.gif

Godfather
11-29-2018, 04:43 AM
Be brutally honest: Did anyone else see this story and go "oh thank god it wasn't a stupid white guy for once" :lol: