PDA

View Full Version : 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer' classic called bigoted, ‘seriously problematic’

Teh One Who Knocks
11-30-2018, 11:36 AM
By Lukas Mikelionis | Fox News

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/CRirbt.jpg

HuffPost, a liberal news site, was lampooned after saying Christmas classic “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” was “seriously problematic” over claims that it features sexism and bullying.

“Viewers are noticing the tale may not be so jolly after all,” the outlet’s video said. “And they’re sharing their observations online.”
Among those observations was the suggestion that the TV classic was a story about racism and homophobia, while calling Santa Claus abusive and bigoted.

“Yearly reminder that #Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is a parable on racism & homophobia w/Santa as a bigoted exploitative prick,” read one comment shared by HuffPost. “Santa’s operation is an HR nightmare and in serious need of diversity and inclusion training. #Rudolph,” read another.

The video also suggests it was problematic that Rudolph's father verbally abused him by forcing him to wear a fake nose to be accepted by others.

Some eagle-eyed social media critics also said the cartoon is sexist because Rudolph’s mom was snubbed after she wanted to help reindeer husband Donner to search for their son after he goes missing. “No, this is man’s work,” Donner says.

But HuffPost's effort to highlight the perceived bigotry of the beloved movie attracted tens of thousands of negative comments, most of them mocking the video.

“Oh look! Something people like and enjoy; let's go ruin it!” tweeted Rebeccah Heinrichs.“If you try hard enough you can find offence in almost anything,” Chloe Westley seconded.

Others pointed out that HuffPost misunderstood the cartoon as the troubling characters learn their lesson in the end. “But... but... the bigoted characters learn they were wrong. It teaches a lesson. It doesn't endorse the problematic stuff,” tweeted Robby Soave.

Even President Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr. weighed in on the topic, tweeting “Liberalism is a disease.”
“Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” isn’t the first classic cartoon that was decried as problematic today.

Critics attacked ABC’s “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving,” which first aired in 1973, for seating its only black character, Franklin, alone on one side of the holiday table while all other white friends were seated on the other side.

The special attracted particular criticism this Thanksgiving, with many users lashing out on social media and calling the cartoon racist.

DemonGeminiX
11-30-2018, 12:42 PM
These people are insane.

Muddy
11-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Don Jr.. :lol:

RBP
11-30-2018, 03:18 PM
So sick of this shit. My liberal sister sent me a "hilarious" article citing "research" that "proves" Trump voters are correlated with fragile masculinity. She has no idea that her and her ilk mocking men (et al) is exactly why Trump is president.

Muddy
11-30-2018, 03:35 PM
I hope you told her that..

Goofy
11-30-2018, 03:36 PM
The world's gone fucking mad

RBP
11-30-2018, 03:38 PM
I hope you told her that..

Nope. What good would come of that? I ignored it. Let them keep the ball rolling if they like. 2020 is not far away and the complete and utter breakdown on the left is worth the wait.

Muddy
*Rudolph the racist reindeer, had a very oppressive nose*

RBP
Half the world's gone fucking mad

:ftfy:

Muddy
11-30-2018, 03:39 PM
Nope. What good would come of that? I ignored it. Let them keep the ball rolling if they like. 2020 is not far away and the complete and utter breakdown on the left is worth the wait.

Due to my volatility and ability to throw some quick retort, my lefty friends have decided that we don't talk about politics anymore.. :lol:

RBP
11-30-2018, 03:42 PM
Due to my volatility and ability to throw some quick retort, my lefty friends have decided that we don't talk about politics anymore.. :lol:

It easier to stay in the bubble and scream at the clouds than have a civil discourse. That cuts both ways, but more screeching on the left.

https://i.imgur.com/EkQpDBb.jpg

Muddy
11-30-2018, 03:44 PM
It easier to stay in the bubble and scream at the clouds than have a civil discourse. That cuts both ways, but more screeching on the left.

https://i.imgur.com/EkQpDBb.jpg

I don't scream.. I just ask calm simple questions that relate to the root differences of the two parties right now.

Goofy
11-30-2018, 03:58 PM
I hate talking about politics for most of the reasons above........ hence why you'll rarely see me post in a political thread here, nothing good ever seems to come from it.

Muddy
11-30-2018, 04:07 PM
I hate talking about politics for most of the reasons above........ hence why you'll rarely see me post in a political thread here, nothing good ever seems to come from it.

I honestly can have a political discussion.. It's when someone throws in an insult that I usually get triggered.

RBP
11-30-2018, 04:15 PM
I honestly can have a political discussion.. It's when someone throws in an insult that I usually get triggered.

My mother has done that to me for years. My wife thinks it's hilarious; her favorite was the rant I launched into on the ride home after my mother didn't have a counter point so she threw, "that's just because you're pro- white cop" at me. To this day, I have no idea what that means. Perhaps she believes I go around praising white cops for shooting innocent black males. I have no idea. She loved to say I was racist whenever I disagreed with an Obama policy.

DemonGeminiX
11-30-2018, 04:20 PM
Your own mother? :huh:

Goofy
11-30-2018, 04:21 PM
Thats just it though, insults quite often seem to appear when people disagree on political stances - "you don't agree with me then you're obviously an idiot/racist/whatever" :lol:

Politics bores me to fucking tears anyway :rofl:

RBP
11-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Your own mother? :huh:

The liberal part or the insult part? :lol: But yes, a mind corrupted by far too many years of MSNBC on loud volume.

DemonGeminiX
11-30-2018, 04:32 PM
My mother refuses to watch cable news. Funny thing: She and my father were Democrats for the longest time. All three of us (my sister, brother, and I) went from being moderate Democrats like them when we were younger to Republicans/Libertarians as we've gotten older. My sister and I effectively convinced my mother that the Democrats are completely insane. You should hear her rant about Nancy Pelosi. :lol: She even voted for Romney and Trump in the past 2 Presidential elections.

Teh One Who Knocks
11-30-2018, 04:39 PM
My mother refuses to watch cable news. Funny thing: She and my father were Democrats for the longest time. All three of us (my sister, brother, and I) went from being moderate Democrats like them when we were younger to Republicans/Libertarians as we've gotten older. My sister and I effectively convinced my mother that the Democrats are completely insane. You should hear her rant about Nancy Pelosi. :lol: She even voted for Romney and Trump in the past 2 Presidential elections.

Before my dad died, he was a life-long democrat...until Obama. Those two elections (2008 and 2012) were the first time he ever voted republican. And it had nothing to do with Obama being black.

RBP
11-30-2018, 05:09 PM

You didn't change, the party did. Old moderate Dems would be Republicans today. Including Bill Clinton.

Reagan famously said, "I didn't leave the Democratic Party, the party left me."