PDA

View Full Version : The common cold

Muddy
12-22-2018, 11:24 PM
I have it.. It sucks.. Is it good to sweat when you have one? What are some tried and true remedys you guys use when you have a head cold?

lost in melb.
12-22-2018, 11:40 PM
I once had the privilege of asking one of the most esteemed physicians in the world this question.

He answered "Colds typically last a week, but with modern interventions and over the counter prescription drugs this can be reduced to 7 days."

Godfather
12-23-2018, 12:10 AM
Just take OTC drugs like melb says :lol: Nasal spray in particular is my drug of choice. Can't do shit about it otherwise. I think sweating it out is an old wives' tale, probably even counter-productive because you need to stay hydrated and rest up.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-23-2018, 12:51 AM
Sweating it out works, but that's only when you're running a fever. Usually when you are running a fever, you don't sweat. But you can break that fever by 'sweating it out'. I do it every time and it works. No matter what the temp is, get all bundled up and get under the covers. Once you break out into a sweat, the fever is broken. I feel so much better afterwards. I still feel like shit from the rest of the cold symptoms, but I don't feel like I wanna die anymore because of the fever.

DemonGeminiX
12-23-2018, 04:01 AM
Your body needs rest to fight the infection and heal itself. Get some OTC shit to suppress the symptoms and get a good 8 - 10 hours.

Muddy
12-23-2018, 05:44 AM
How about this stuff 'cold eeze'? Has anyone had any success with that? It's supposed to shorten the duration by like half, but you have to suck like six lozenges a day..

Teh One Who Knocks
12-23-2018, 10:20 AM
How about this stuff 'cold eeze'? Has anyone had any success with that? It's supposed to shorten the duration by like half, but you have to suck like six lozenges a day..That's that stuff with zinc in it. It doesn't work and no study has ever shown that it helps.

Pony
12-23-2018, 10:54 AM
How about this stuff 'cold eeze'? Has anyone had any success with that? It's supposed to shorten the duration by like half, but you have to suck like six lozenges a day..

That's that stuff with zinc in it. It doesn't work and no study has ever shown that it helps.

Yep, you would be better off saving some money and buying a multivitamin or Zinc and Vitamin C supplements. Those might help boost your immune system if you have a deficiency.

Teh One Who Knocks
12-23-2018, 12:14 PM
For me, the best OTC cold meds for the money is Mucinex. And if you're really congested, get the Mucinex D that they keep behind the counter, it's got the good decongestant in it. Pair that up with the regular Mucinex.

DemonGeminiX
12-23-2018, 01:13 PM
Theraflu nighttime.

Muddy
12-23-2018, 01:35 PM
I have been doing Dayquil and that seems to help some..

Hal-9000
12-25-2018, 05:56 PM
I miss the ol days of Neo Citran. The original formula used to have opiates in it I'm sure.

Make one steaming hot cup of the yellow/green heroin and sleep n dream weirdly for hours :lol:

Muddy
12-25-2018, 07:55 PM
Hell yes! :lol:

Hal-9000
12-25-2018, 11:34 PM
My Mom used to give me a large mug of Neo Citran, endless tylenol or aspirin, then she would rub some industrial strength Vicks Vapo Rub
liberally on my chest and under my nose. I swear the fumes made me extra loopy woozy :lol:

Muddy
12-25-2018, 11:37 PM
Ive missed you, lover..

Hal-9000
12-25-2018, 11:42 PM
I love the new Muddy, thanks.

Shouldn't you be presiding over a large killing of the turkey ceremony resplendent with all ze trimmings? :)

Hal-9000
12-26-2018, 12:42 AM
Was it Formula 44D that was loaded with drugs?

I used to get some cough medicine that I think kids are huffing nowadays...really put me out :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
12-26-2018, 11:16 AM
Was it Formula 44D that was loaded with drugs?

I used to get some cough medicine that I think kids are huffing nowadays...really put me out :lol:

I think that was the stuff that had codeine in it. :-k

Hal-9000
12-26-2018, 08:10 PM
I had chronic asthmatic bronchitis as a kid, complete with puffer and pills for attacks. Took up smoking later to combat some of those effects :thumbsup:

My parents used to give me this bright yellow liquid that tasted like really foul licorice called Tedril/Tedral. Man that stuff was strong.

:lol: Just looked it up and the website referred to it as part of asthma medicines from the 1960's.