PDA

View Full Version : 'Traditional masculinity' deemed harmful, could lead to sexual harassment, medical group says

Teh One Who Knocks
01-09-2019, 12:05 PM
By Lukas Mikelionis | Fox News

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/800x600q90/921/Lv79UI.jpg

It's all your fault, men.

The American Psychological Association for the first time in its history released guidelines concerning men and boys, saying that so-called “traditional masculinity” not only is “harmful” but also could lead to homophobia and sexual harassment.

“The main thrust of the subsequent research is that traditional masculinity — marked by stoicism, competitiveness, dominance and aggression — is, on the whole, harmful,” reads the news release by the famed association.

It notes that research shows “traditional masculinity is psychologically harmful and that socializing boys to suppress their emotions causes damage that echoes both inwardly and outwardly.”

The 36-page document goes on to coin “masculinity ideology,” which stems from traditional masculinity, and claim that it harms boys and men.

“Traditional masculinity ideology has been shown to limit males’ psychological development, constrain their behavior, result in gender role strain and gender role conflict and negatively influence mental health and physical health,” the report warns.

The “masculinity ideology” is defined by the APA as “a particular constellation of standards that have held sway over large segments of the population, including: anti-femininity, achievement, eschewal of the appearance of weakness, and adventure, risk, and violence.”

The research goes on to suggest that masculine boys may put their energy toward disruptive behaviors such as homophobia, bullying and even sexual harassment rather than strive for academic excellence.

“Though men benefit from patriarchy, they are also impinged upon by patriarchy,” said Ronald F. Levant, EdD, a professor emeritus of psychology at the University of Akron and co-editor of the APA volume “The Psychology of Men and Masculinities.”

The new paper also advises clinicians how to address the problems of their own bias when treating boys and men, and urges to address how “power, privilege, and sexism work both by conferring benefits to men and by trapping them in narrow roles.”

RBP
01-09-2019, 03:10 PM
Wow. The APA is now on the SJW bandwagon. That's disheartening.

The “masculinity ideology” is defined by the APA as “a particular constellation of standards that have held sway over large segments of the population, including: anti-femininity, achievement, eschewal of the appearance of weakness, and adventure, risk, and violence.”

jesus!

I am going to write the DSM committee to make sure we remove gender dysphoria and add masculinity as a diagnosis.

RBP
01-09-2019, 03:20 PM
There are some positive aspects of this, including addressing the difficulty engaging men in clinical treatment. The APA issued similar guidelines for women 10 years ago, but that was far more affirming and supportive. They would never try to approach treatment of women as saying they are inherently bad.

For those that want to go deeper.

Overview: https://www.apa.org/monitor/2019/01/ce-corner.aspx

Guidelines for Psychological Practice With Boys and Men: www.apa.org/about/policy/boys-men-practice-guidelines.pdf

Teh One Who Knocks
01-09-2019, 03:27 PM
It's a clinically proven fact now, men are bad :nono:

RBP
01-09-2019, 05:15 PM
I want Lost's opinion of all this.

Hal-9000
01-09-2019, 06:16 PM
"...that masculine boys may put their energy toward disruptive behaviors such as homophobia, bullying and even sexual harassment."

Untrue and I'll knock the shit outta any undersize fag who even looks at me wrong :x

RBP
01-12-2019, 02:17 PM
I want Lost's opinion of all this.

:bump:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-12-2019, 03:00 PM
:bump:Who cares about his opinion, he's a toxic male just like you :hand:

RBP
01-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Who cares about his opinion, he's a toxic male just like you :hand:

And white (probably) :x

lost in melb.
01-13-2019, 01:58 PM
Ok, so it's a shorthand expression and outwardly we all know what it's trying to describe, but I like expressions that accurately reflect what's going on and since when did Pschology get so lazy?

A few comments: many pubescent girls go off the rails when they reach 13 or so exhibiting a similar number of behaviours ( selectively) Is this toxic femininity? Cause it can't be toxic masculinity, right? :-k

I think men who behave like this have emotional/social deficits and lacking brain development try and imitate certain behaviours ( the assertive, powerful bit ) of what they see on tv and the limited environment that they are raised in - which like a crutch gets them by both in attracting females and making their way in some fashion through the world ( ever hear the expression boys in gorilla suits?). But it's always short term gain as they are 'seen through' eventually as underdeveloped. In my opinion properly developed mature women want men who are assertive, powerful and kind and who know how to balance 3 aspects according to environmental needs ( evolution!) I therefore think that 'toxic masculity' is a kind of incomplete masculinity.

But I'm not proposing any solutions here...not easy to help narcissistic people with developmental issues but I really think it's an individual developmental issue related to poor parenting and environment rather than ( what appears to be) a maleness problem.

RBP
01-13-2019, 03:05 PM
They tried to walk it back to match closer to what you are saying, Lost. But of course they won't change the source document. And how do I know that? The press release is titled "Addressing Media Misrepresentation of the Men's Guidelines".

So they didn't get it wrong or make glaring errors, the MEDIA got it wrong.

When we report that some aspects of “traditional masculinity” are potentially harmful, we are referring to a belief system held by a few that associates masculinity with extreme behaviors that harm self and others. It is the extreme stereotypical behaviors—not simply being male or a “traditional male”—that may result in negative outcomes. For example, people who believe that to be a “real man” is to get needs met through violence, dominance over others, or extreme restriction of emotions are at risk for poor physical, psychological, and social outcomes (e.g., increased risk for cardiovascular disease, social isolation, depression relationship distress, etc.).

http://division51.net/homepage-slider/twitter-message-not-reflecting-the-guidelines-for-boys-and-men/

lost in melb.
01-14-2019, 12:24 PM
They tried to walk it back to match closer to what you are saying, Lost. But of course they won't change the source document. And how do I know that? The press release is titled "Addressing Media Misrepresentation of the Men's Guidelines".

So they didn't get it wrong or make glaring errors, the MEDIA got it wrong.

http://division51.net/homepage-slider/twitter-message-not-reflecting-the-guidelines-for-boys-and-men/

Yes, I read it. Their history is here-->http://division51.net/about/governance/history-of-division-51/

They are definitely philosophically lead - responding to and incorporating 'flavour of the day' gender politics into their mandate - which is not very scientific, but probably keeps them relevant.

Nevertheless I think the fact that there exists *at all* a branch of the APA devoted to men's health is to be applauded. Some good studies and interventions woven in over the years.

Let's keep an eye on them though, especially with the name Division 51 :watching:

RBP
01-14-2019, 02:20 PM
Yes, I read it. Their history is here-->http://division51.net/about/governance/history-of-division-51/

They are definitely philosophically lead - responding to and incorporating 'flavour of the day' gender politics into their mandate - which is not very scientific, but probably keeps them relevant.

Nevertheless I think the fact that there exists *at all* a branch of the APA devoted to men's health is to be applauded. Some good studies and interventions woven in over the years.

Let's keep an eye on them though, especially with the name Division 51 :watching:

I don't disagree, it is a good thing to have a division devoted to male treatment. I have some specific objections to the report that I will detail later. Like you said, it's "lazy" and sloppy in certain poorly grounded areas.