PDA

View Full Version : California prohibits gender-based auto insurance: report

Teh One Who Knocks
01-14-2019, 11:48 AM
By Bradford Betz | Fox News

http://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/8274/UH14yb.jpg

California has banned auto insurance companies from considering gender when setting insurance rates for private passenger cars.

The Gender Non-Discrimination in Automobile Insurance Rating Regulation went into effect on Jan. 1, 2019.

California Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones, who authored the bill, said the new regulations “ensure that auto insurance rates are based on factors within a driver’s control, rather than personal characteristics over which drivers have no control."

The new bill mandates that auto insurances companies in California file a "revised class plan that eliminates the use of gender as a rating factor."

Jones previously authored a bill that banned insurance companies from denying medical services based on gender.

California is not the first state to ban gender from auto insurance pricing, according to the Consumer Federation of America (CFA), but is among the only states in the U.S. to ban insurance companies from considering an applicants’ education, job, or credit score, CBS News reported.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-14-2019, 11:49 AM
but is among the only states in the U.S. to ban insurance companies from considering an applicants’ education, job, or credit score, CBS News reported.

I have NEVER understood this practice ever since they started doing it. Sorry, but we'll need your SSN to run your credit before we can give you a rate for your insurance. WTF does your credit score have to do with your driving record. :-s

RBP
01-14-2019, 01:42 PM
:rofl:

California, you done fucked up, now. Women pay LESS for car insurance. There will be hell to pay for not penalizing that toxic masculinity.

RBP
01-14-2019, 01:44 PM
I have NEVER understood this practice ever since they started doing it. Sorry, but we'll need your SSN to run your credit before we can give you a rate for your insurance. WTF does your credit score have to do with your driving record. :-s

https://www.edmunds.com/auto-insurance/does-your-credit-score-affect-your-car-insurance-rate.html

Teh One Who Knocks
01-14-2019, 01:47 PM
https://www.edmunds.com/auto-insurance/does-your-credit-score-affect-your-car-insurance-rate.html

I've seen the bullshit reasoning, doesn't mean it's right or makes sense.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-14-2019, 01:48 PM
:rofl:

California, you done fucked up, now. Women pay LESS for car insurance. There will be hell to pay for not penalizing that toxic masculinity.

Yup, it just means that women will end up paying more for insurance in California now :lol:

RBP
01-14-2019, 02:04 PM
Yup, it just means that women will end up paying more for insurance in California now :lol:

So I looked, betting that it wouldn't take more than the first page of a simple Goggle search to find.... yup. South African article....

The behaviour of male drivers is steeped in patriarchy and toxic masculinity, because men ache to prove their manliness in every sphere of their lives.

That's the coming response in CA. Heard it here first. :P

PorkChopSandwiches
01-14-2019, 05:01 PM
They check people credit before we hire people at my company. Shitty credit is a good indicator of the type of person you are hiring.

Hal-9000
01-14-2019, 05:03 PM
So what about the old proven stat of males under 25 being placed in the highest risk/premium group and paying the most?

Only been going since the 50's :meh:

Reason - because there were historically more male drivers that age :doh: