PDA

View Full Version : Native American elder mocked by young Donald Trump supporters in MAGA hats? It's not that simple

lost in melb.
01-21-2019, 12:45 PM
A video picked up by media at the weekend showing young male students wearing Make America Great Again (MAGA) caps surrounding and drowning out a Native American elder does not reveal the whole picture.

Key points:

A group of Black Israelites quoted from the Old Testament and abused people nearby, including the students

The students chanted, sang and danced to drown out the Black Israelites

A Native American drummer approached the students in an effort to calm and separate the groups

Social media lit up when footage circulated online of the confrontation at a rally at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington.

The video showed*a young student in a red MAGA cap standing directly in front of elder Nathan Phillips, who was beating a drum and singing after an Indigenous Peoples March.

Other kids, many wearing hoodies from the all-male Covington Catholic High School, circled the group of Native Americans, laughing and chanting before joining the drummer's singing in a seemingly mocking tone.

One congresswoman later said the teens showed "blatant hate, disrespect and intolerance".

Full video of the event*shows the missing context of what actually happened to spark that moment:

The teens were there for a pro-life rally

The Kentucky high school students had taken a road trip to Washington to attend a pro-life rally, which was happening at the same time as the Indigenous Peoples March.

They were waiting, as a group, outside the Lincoln Memorial for their bus to come and pick them up and there were still many other people around, including the Native Americans and a separate small group of people calling themselves Black Israelites.

Black Israelites, also known as African Hebrew Israelites, believe they are descendants of the ancient tribes of Israel and mainly follow the teachings of the Hebrew Bible.

Abuse from the Black Israelites sparked the drama

[https://www-abc-net-au]IMAGEThe bearded speaker of the Black Israelites abused many people in the nearby crowd.(YouTube: John Duncan)

The Black Israelites had a spot on the steps where they quoted from the Bible and yelled abuse, some of it racist.

"You got all these dirty-ass crackers behind you with a red Make America Great Again hat on," one of the Black Israelites said in video of the event filmed by another of their members.

Later, the man told another person: "I bet you're a dumb-ass Puerto Rican."

He also abused African Americans nearby.

As the abuse continued, the school students surrounded the Black Israelites and started to sing songs, dance and cheer each other on, drowning them out.

At one point in the video one of the black men told the students around him: "You got on the back of the court system 'In God we trust', on the back of the dollar bill it says 'In God we trust', but you give faggots rights."

Many of the students reacted, saying things like "woah" and "easy", and one started to blow raspberries to the laughter of other students.

That's when elder Nathan Phillips got involved

The students huddled for a moment and then broke out in a school chant.

The student in a red MAGA hat at the centre of the video, Nick Sandmann, later released a statement published by CNN in an attempt to explain what happened.

"Because we were being loudly attacked and taunted in public, a student in our group asked one of our teacher chaperones for permission to begin our school spirit chants to counter the hateful things that were being shouted at our group," he said.

That's when Native American elder Nathan Phillips and several others with him approached the two groups and tried to get between them.

Footage does not show students seeking out Mr Phillips, or "attacking" him.

This is the moment the confrontation happened, from a different viewpoint:

Etc..I don't know how to post pictures ( trying Tapatalk)

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

lost in melb.
01-21-2019, 12:49 PM
This was from a local rag ( I think original aus article). Every other article I've read has run a different story.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Teh One Who Knocks
01-21-2019, 02:10 PM
Etc..I don't know how to post pictures ( trying Tapatalk)

Don't feel bad, I don't know how to do it easily with Tapatalk either.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-21-2019, 02:16 PM
By Nick Visser - HuffPost

https://i.imgur.com/WD6yQSU.png

More video emerged on Sunday of the viral moment between a Native American man and a student wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat, complicating an incident that has already been cast as yet another parable of the nation’s heavily divided politics and growing racial tension.

More than an hour of footage shot before the encounter was uploaded on YouTube on Sunday, and appeared to show a confrontation between a large group of Catholic students instigated by black men who identified themselves as Hebrew Israelites. In the clip, the men can be heard shouting at anyone on scene at the Lincoln Memorial, including other black visitors and Native Americans.

The camera then turns to the students, who were in Washington for an anti-abortion rally, some of whom were wearing hats with President Donald Trump’s campaign slogan.

“And you got these pompous bastards coming down here in the middle of a native rally with their dirty ass hat on,” a man in the video says. Another person later screams at the students: “A bunch of incest babies. This is what ‘Make America Great’ looks like.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3EC1_gcr34

One of the activists in the video denied on Facebook that his group had instigated the incident, saying in a comment that the “devils are trying to be sneaky.”

The Native American elder at the center of the viral video, Nathan Phillips, comes into view shortly thereafter, the short encounter that has become a viral moment. Phillips is quickly surrounded by the teenagers in the clip, during which he said he felt intimidated when some began jeering and one student in particular stood staring in front of him.

Late Sunday, the student at the center of the video, Nick Sandmann, released a statement through a public relations firm attempting to distance himself from allegations of racism and intimidation. Instead, the Covington Catholic High School student said he believed he was helping to defuse the situation.

“I never interacted with this protestor. I did not speak to him. I did not make any hand gestures or other aggressive moves,” Sandmann wrote. “To be honest, I was startled and confused as to why he had approached me. ... I said a silent prayer that the situation would not get out of hand.”
The incident has prompted nationwide outrage and Sandmann said Sunday he had received death threats and calls that he be expelled from school. In several interviews, Phillips clarified that he had approached the students himself in an attempt to defray some of the tension between the white students and the black men who were yelling.

“I stepped in between to pray,” Phillips told The New York Times in an interview, saying he was worried that racial tensions were “coming to a boiling point.”

Tensions remained high after the encounter, and Sandmann’s school and the Diocese of Covington in Kentucky released a joint statement apologizing to Phillips on Saturday. Amid the threats, the student said he harbored “no ill will” for the Vietnam War veteran, but moved to direct some of the responsibility for the situation on Phillips.

“I respect this person’s right to protest and engage in free speech activities, and I support his chanting on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial any day of the week,” Sandmann wrote. “I believe he should re-think his tactics of invading the personal space of others, but that is his choice to make.”

RBP
01-21-2019, 02:32 PM
Likely Israelite School of Universal Practical Knowledge. Black Nationalists. https://isupk.com/

Over simplification: Egypt was the utopian black society before the corruption and enslavement of the white man.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-21-2019, 02:50 PM
Even with the extended (and mostly exonerating) footage, this is still the narrative being pushed:

https://i.imgur.com/0eCzjidl.jpg

RBP
01-21-2019, 02:53 PM
Of course, because most social movements are born of urban legend.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-21-2019, 03:13 PM
https://i.imgur.com/Un5zUYw.png

RBP
01-21-2019, 04:30 PM
It's out of control.

Hal-9000
01-21-2019, 10:30 PM
I've got a bit of a tangential thought.

In the old days we used to say that prejudice doesn't occur naturally in a child, it's learned.

Do you think that the internet is responsible for some of this? My thinking is - The internet has encouraged people to speak their minds, stand up for themselves, and has given everyone the right to speak an opinion. It doesn't matter if the opinion is correct, the point is you are able to talk about it and therefore you should. It's your new 'right' due in large to social media venues.

In my day, you would only see behavior like this at Klan rallies. Seriously. Now it seems every person no matter their age, comes out of the woodwork and feels justified in having public confrontations that border on violence over opinion.

I sincerely feel that the internet has created this phenomenon and associated mindset. Among other things. Am I that wrong?

RBP
01-21-2019, 10:46 PM
I've got a bit of a tangential thought.

In the old days we used to say that prejudice doesn't occur naturally in a child, it's learned.

Do you think that the internet is responsible for some of this? My thinking is - The internet has encouraged people to speak their minds, stand up for themselves, and has given everyone the right to speak an opinion. It doesn't matter if the opinion is correct, the point is you are able to talk about it and therefore you should. It's your new 'right' due in large to social media venues.

In my day, you would only see behavior like this at Klan rallies. Seriously. Now it seems every person no matter their age, comes out of the woodwork and feels justified in having public confrontations that border on violence over opinion.

I sincerely feel that the internet has created this phenomenon and associated mindset. Among other things. Am I that wrong?

I'm not sure about created per say, but expanded, mainstreamed, and accelerated. Yes. Mob mentalities, massive echo chambers, and a complicit press.

My opinion is that social media in developed countries has been a massive net negative for societies. Smart phones as well for that matter.

Hal-9000
01-21-2019, 10:55 PM
I'm not sure about created per say, but expanded, mainstreamed, and accelerated. Yes. Mob mentalities, massive echo chambers, and a complicit press.

My opinion is that social media in developed countries has been a massive net negative for societies. Smart phones as well for that matter.

I have a saying that may be off the mark here with this topic. My sister said she actually repeated it to her management crew at work.

On every corner of the internet people are now able to give their opinion freely and without censorship. Unfortunately, not many people are asking for it :lol:

Pony
01-21-2019, 11:13 PM
I have a saying that may be off the mark here with this topic. My sister said she actually repeated it to her management crew at work.

On every corner of the internet people are now able to give their opinion freely and without censorship. Unfortunately, not many people are asking for it :lol:

The biggest issue I have with all of this is using all these opinions to mob together and attack others. More times than not before all the facts are in. We've seen it time and time again of people getting harassed, death threats, losing their jobs, physically attacked all in the name of social justice. And the media continues to feed this monster. Tons of media outlets and celebrities were editing and deleting their posts about this kid today, some just doubled down on the false narrative. I saw very few apologies. Bottom line is this incident could follow this kid for the rest of his life.

Unfortunately that's our media today, get everyone riled up on shocking front page headlines, next day offer an "oops, my bad"on the back page. Too late, the damage is done.

Hal-9000
01-21-2019, 11:27 PM
The biggest issue I have with all of this is using all these opinions to mob together and attack others. More times than not before all the facts are in. We've seen it time and time again of people getting harassed, death threats, losing their jobs, physically attacked all in the name of social justice. And the media continues to feed this monster. Tons of media outlets and celebrities were editing and deleting their posts about this kid today, some just doubled down on the false narrative. I saw very few apologies. Bottom line is this incident could follow this kid for the rest of his life.

Unfortunately that's our media today, get everyone riled up on shocking front page headlines, next day offer an "oops, my bad"on the back page. Too late, the damage is done.

What still floors me is a politician or an actor or a sports star...will say something so cruel and/or idiotic on Twitter and then try to walk it back.

I don't usually put too much thought into my posts here (shut up) and make them on the fly... but a small part of me still thinks about who my audience is and that someone may read it.

The people I'm talking about have millions of followers and have to know when that little keyboard flips down, someone is going read the next post. I have no sympathy when someone famous makes a public comment and gets into shit for it.

DemonGeminiX
01-22-2019, 07:41 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiqOQ_3lWU8

Fodster
01-22-2019, 08:32 AM
So fucking true

lost in melb.
01-22-2019, 08:49 AM
My take is that everyone was a bit out of line that day. Wearing MAGA hats is unnecessarily provocative and so is drumming is people's faces. The Israelites are clearly foul human beings at a different level .

What gets me is that the kids appear expected to hold a higher level of behaviour just because they go to an elite school and I suspect because they are mostly 'white'. The school says there will be consequence but I think the details of that are between the school, the parents and the kids. I don't see how it's the media's or society's business to get involved or make judgement on some kid stuck in a difficult situation.

DemonGeminiX
01-22-2019, 09:39 AM
It's a hat, Lost. If you're really getting upset over a hat, then I've got bad news for you.

This is the story as I'm understanding it: Kids from a Catholic school went to the March for Life rally in DC. The extremist black group showed up, as did a group of Native American Vietnam War Veterans for whatever reason. The black group was talking shit and trying to instigate the Catholic kids... kids, mind you, kids... and the kids started chanting a school ditty in an effort to ignore them. The Native American guys got between the kids and the black group and started chanting a tribal peace song, which honestly... how the hell are Catholic kids going to know what the hell a Native American tribal peace song is? Or how to react to it for that matter? So they just stood there, doing nothing, and apparently somebody started recording the kid. The kids didn't say anything, weren't disrespectful in any way, shape, or form, and then the media takes a snippet of the encounter, totally makes shit up and feeds it to social media where the mentally deranged wolves are lying in wait. Now you've got mentally deranged idiots on social media lashing out at the kids over a false narrative, sending them death threats... and is twitter or facebook banning these people? The ones making death threats to school kids? Nooooooooooo!!!!!

Technically speaking, they all had a right to be there. They all had a right to express their views. The black extremist group were the instigators and the kids are the victims here, in more ways than one. And everybody that jumped to conclusions over this should be ashamed of themselves.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-22-2019, 11:33 AM
By Chris Perez - The New York Post

https://i.imgur.com/4D2vhTj.jpg

President Trump has taken to Twitter to publicly defend Covington Catholic student Nick Sandmann and his classmates — saying they were “smeared” by the media — following their now-viral confrontation with Native American activists in Washington.

“Looking like Nick Sandman [sic] & Covington Catholic students were treated unfairly with early judgements proving out to be false,” Trump tweeted. “Not good, but making big comeback!”

The president went on to quote Fox News host Tucker Carlson, saying: “New footage shows that media was wrong about teen’s encounter with Native American.”

Trump’s comments come just one day after additional video emerged showing the Covington Catholic students being accosted and yelled at before their widely reported showdown with the Native American activists.

Another group of demonstrators — who called themselves members of the Black Hebrew Israelites group — can be heard taunting and shouting hateful things at the teens for no apparent reason other than the fact that they’re wearing “Make America Great Again” hats.

When video first emerged of the incident though, the Black Israelites could not be seen or heard.

“Smeared by media,” Trump tweeted, referencing the widespread reports that made the rounds Friday and Saturday, accusing Sandmann and his classmates of taunting and disrespecting the activists.

The teen later claimed in a statement that he was simply trying to defuse the situation, nothing more.

“I did smile at one point because I wanted him to know that I was not going to become angry, intimidated or be provoked into a larger confrontation,” he said. “I am a faithful Christian and practicing Catholic, and I always try to live up to the ideals my faith teaches me — to remain respectful of others, and to take no action that would lead to conflict or violence.”

Teh One Who Knocks
01-22-2019, 11:40 AM
By Lukas Mikelionis | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/I3XL6Ydl.jpg

A freelance Vulture journalist was fired from his main job at digital company INE Entertainment after wishing death for multiple Covington Catholic High School students and their parents in the wake of controversy over the incident between students and Native American activists, a report said.

Erik Abriss, a post-production supervisor at INE Entertainment, was fired after his tweets about the controversy involving teenage students went viral. He is reportedly a freelance journalist for Vulture.

Vulture declined to comment for the Wrap.

https://i.imgur.com/62pX6fq.png

“I don’t know what it says about me but I’ve truly lost the ability to articulate the hysterical rage, nausea, and heartache this makes me feel. I just want these people to die. Simple as that. Every single one of them. And their parents,” tweeted Abriss.

“‘Racism is in its Boomer death throes. It will die out with this younger generation!’ Look at the s----eating grins on all those young white slugs’ faces. Just perverse pleasure at wielding a false dominion they’ve been taught their whole life was their divine right. F---ing die,” he added.

On Monday, the company told the Wrap that Abriss was fired for his comments on social media that were deemed offensive. The journalist has since locked his Twitter account and deleted the tweets.

“We were surprised and upset to see the inflammatory and offensive rhetoric used on Erik Abriss’ Twitter account this weekend. He worked with the company in our post-production department and never as a writer,” the company told the outlet.

“While we appreciated his work, it is clear that he is no longer aligned with our company’s core values of respect and tolerance. Therefore, as of January 21, 2019, we have severed ties with Abriss,” the statement added.

A GQ magazine writer, meanwhile, apologized for calling to share the students’ private information on social media, a practice also known as doxxing.

GQ’s Nathaniel Friedman told the Wrap that the tweet in which he wrote “Doxx ‘em all” was “irresponsible” and occurred “in the heat of the moment because I was upset.”

“It partly came from having been doxxed by MAGA people myself but that’s no excuse and no one should wish that on anybody else. It’s counterproductive to say anything along those lines and if you make yourself look like an irrational, mean idiot you’re playing right into their hands,” he added.

Fox News reached out to both writers and did not get an immediate comment.

The firing stems from a widely-circulated video clip gave an inaccurate impression that high school students were harassing a Native American man, Nathan Phillips, following the March for Life rally in Washington.

The subsequent video footage revealed that the students were accosted and yelled before Phillips and other Native American activists approached them. Another group – the so-called Black Hebrew Israelites group – were heard shouting abuse at the students for wearing “Make America Great Again” hats.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-22-2019, 11:54 AM
By Frank Miles | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/8RVR1Mcl.jpg

Hollywood actress Jamie Lee Curtis admitted Sunday she rushed to judge the viral video showing high school student Nick Sandmann wearing a red “Make America Great Again” hat and standing still in front of 64-year-old Native American Nathan Phillips.

“There are two sides to every story,” she tweeted, attaching a statement from Sandmann, who attends Covington Catholic High in Park Hills, Kentucky.

“I made a snap judgment based on a photograph & I know better than to judge a book by its cover,” Curtis wrote. “I wasn’t there. I shouldn’t have commented. I’m glad there wasn’t violence. I hope theses [sic] two men can meet and find common ground as can WE ALL.”
Other Hollywood celebrities pounced on the video, and none have apologized.

Actress and activist Alyssa Milano, who on Sunday tweeted a comparison of supporters of President Trump to members of the Ku Klux Klan, fueled the flames early Monday afternoon, saying: “Let’s not forget—this entire event happened because a group of boys went on a school-sanctioned trip to protest against a woman’s right to her own body and reproductive healthcare. It is not debatable that bigotry was at play from the start.”
Actress and comedian Kathy Griffin called for the students to have their identities revealed so that she and others could hold them accountable for their actions.

“Ps. The reply from the school was pathetic and impotent. Name these kids,” Griffin said in a firey tweet Sunday morning. “I want NAMES. Shame them. If you think these f---ers wouldn’t dox you in a heartbeat, think again.”

In a different tweet Sunday morning, she once again called for the doxing of the students who appeared in the video: “Names please. And stories from people who can identify them and vouch for their identity. Thank you.”
Actor Chris Evans, who played the role of Captain America in the movies, tweeted Saturday: “This is appalling. The ignorance. The gall. The disrespect. It’s shameful. And sadly on brand.”
The video was recorded Friday at the base of the Lincoln Memorial. The encounter, captured in videos that went viral over the weekend, again cast a spotlight on a polarized nation that doesn’t appear to agree on anything.

Many in the media and Hollywood were quick to slam the group of high school students as aggressors, but by Sunday, longer video showed other aggressors were approaching the students who remained on the steps.

“I would caution everyone passing judgment based on a few seconds of video to watch the longer video clips that are on the internet, as they show a much different story than is being portrayed by people with agendas,” Sandmann, a junior, said in the statement released late Sunday.

Sandmann said in his statement the students from his all-male high school were waiting for their buses near a Hebrew Israelites group when the latter started to taunt them. One of the students took off his shirt and the teens started to do a haka — a war dance of New Zealand’s indigenous Maori culture, made famous by the country’s national rugby team.

Phillips, an elder of the Omaha tribe, and Marcus Frejo, a member of the Pawnee and Seminole tribes, said they felt the students were mocking the dance and approached the group.

Phillips and Sandmann locked eyes, their faces inches apart. Both men said their goal was simply to make sure things didn’t get out of hand. But caught on video, the encounter still went viral.

The high school students felt they were portrayed unfairly as villains in a situation where they said they were not the provocateurs.

“I am being called every name in the book, including a racist, and I will not stand for this mob-like character assassination,” Sandmann said in his statement.

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Covington apologized for the incident, promising an investigation that could lead to punishment up to expulsion if any wrongdoing by the students was determined.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

lost in melb.
01-22-2019, 12:45 PM
It's a hat, Lost. If you're really getting upset over a hat, then I've got bad news for you.

I"m not upset.

They have the right to wear it - but it's provocative in the current political environment. I don't think it's a good choice for that outing.

@above post. Good Onya Jamie Lee Curtis. Always a straight shooter!

DemonGeminiX
01-22-2019, 12:53 PM
I didn't mean "you" as in a direct pointed finger at you. I meant "you" as in any general person reading the comment. If you look at the number of people online at any given moment, it's ridiculous how many nonmembers are watching our conversations.... if they're not just bots.

Hal-9000
01-22-2019, 07:45 PM
By Lukas Mikelionis | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/I3XL6Ydl.jpg

A freelance Vulture journalist was fired from his main job at digital company INE Entertainment after wishing death for multiple Covington Catholic High School students and their parents in the wake of controversy over the incident between students and Native American activists, a report said.

Erik Abriss, a post-production supervisor at INE Entertainment, was fired after his tweets about the controversy involving teenage students went viral. He is reportedly a freelance journalist for Vulture.

Vulture declined to comment for the Wrap.

https://i.imgur.com/62pX6fq.png

“I don’t know what it says about me but I’ve truly lost the ability to articulate the hysterical rage, nausea, and heartache this makes me feel. I just want these people to die. Simple as that. Every single one of them. And their parents,” tweeted Abriss.

“‘Racism is in its Boomer death throes. It will die out with this younger generation!’ Look at the s----eating grins on all those young white slugs’ faces. Just perverse pleasure at wielding a false dominion they’ve been taught their whole life was their divine right. F---ing die,” he added.

On Monday, the company told the Wrap that Abriss was fired for his comments on social media that were deemed offensive. The journalist has since locked his Twitter account and deleted the tweets.

“We were surprised and upset to see the inflammatory and offensive rhetoric used on Erik Abriss’ Twitter account this weekend. He worked with the company in our post-production department and never as a writer,” the company told the outlet.

“While we appreciated his work, it is clear that he is no longer aligned with our company’s core values of respect and tolerance. Therefore, as of January 21, 2019, we have severed ties with Abriss,” the statement added.

A GQ magazine writer, meanwhile, apologized for calling to share the students’ private information on social media, a practice also known as doxxing.

GQ’s Nathaniel Friedman told the Wrap that the tweet in which he wrote “Doxx ‘em all” was “irresponsible” and occurred “in the heat of the moment because I was upset.”

“It partly came from having been doxxed by MAGA people myself but that’s no excuse and no one should wish that on anybody else. It’s counterproductive to say anything along those lines and if you make yourself look like an irrational, mean idiot you’re playing right into their hands,” he added.

Fox News reached out to both writers and did not get an immediate comment.

The firing stems from a widely-circulated video clip gave an inaccurate impression that high school students were harassing a Native American man, Nathan Phillips, following the March for Life rally in Washington.

The subsequent video footage revealed that the students were accosted and yelled before Phillips and other Native American activists approached them. Another group – the so-called Black Hebrew Israelites group – were heard shouting abuse at the students for wearing “Make America Great Again” hats.

and there it is...he's not an actor or sports star but he still had to know that Tweet would be read and possibly go viral.

Wishing death on people is sooo close to a form of assault, I wouldn't be surprised to see the law change. It isn't free speech, it's a formal threat in writing.

Hal-9000
01-22-2019, 07:46 PM
and cheers to Jamie Lee Curtis

Teh One Who Knocks
01-22-2019, 08:06 PM
and there it is...he's not an actor or sports star but he still had to know that Tweet would be read and possibly go viral.

Wishing death on people is sooo close to a form of assault, I wouldn't be surprised to see the law change. It isn't free speech, it's a formal threat in writing.

And platforms like Twitter don't seem to care as long as the hate speech is directed in the 'right' way. Look at the latest post i made in RBP's thread....

Teh One Who Knocks
01-23-2019, 12:53 PM
By Josh Hammer - The Daily Wire

https://i.imgur.com/RhNbx6Cl.jpg

Earlier on Tuesday, Savannah Guthrie of NBC News interviewed Covington Catholic High School's Nick Sandmann, who has found himself at the center of the viral standoff involving Covington Catholic students' interactions with Native American Nathan Phillips after Friday's March for Life in Washington, D.C. NBC's teaser video can be seen here, and includes this description:

In an exclusive interview with NBC’s Savannah Guthrie, Nick Sandmann said he "had every right" to stand in front of Nathan Phillips, but now wishes he and his classmates "would have walked away and avoided the whole thing."

Guthrie made clear that the interview would air tomorrow.
As John Sexton of Hot Air has reported, Leftists did not exactly react kindly to this news.
Lest anyone forget, Dylann Roof was the avowed white supremacist who murdered nine black churchgoers in cold blood in Charleston, South Carolina in June 2015. The casual conflation of Sandmann with Roof sits in line with what the Heritage Foundation's David Azerrad wrote today at the Claremont Institute's American Mind site, on the subject of the Left's instant obsession with Sandmann:

The kid in question, however, was part of the accursed white race that has wrought unspeakable evils onto humanity. He was a male and thus complicit in the patriarchal structures of oppression that subjugate women. He was the embodiment of power and privilege...

The hysterical reaction to the first video points ultimately to an unsettling conclusion. Standing in silence with a smile before a person of color—or presumably, a member of any other aggrieved, oppressed identity group—is now a crime for deplorable white males of all ages.

Others responded to Guthrie by immediately denigrating Sandmann's alleged family wealth.
Amy Siskind called for a boycott of both Guthrie and her show.
One blue-checkmark immediately went into full-on Hitler comparison mode.
Far-Left outlet Splinter News wrote admonishingly of Sandmann's "journey of lucrative victimhood":

White teenage boys always get sympathy in America. [Guthrie] likely won’t ask, "Why shouldn’t we believe what we all saw with our own eyes?" The official position now is that what we saw with our own eyes was wrong.

Will anyone on the opposite side of this story — Nathan Phillips, for instance — be interviewed? I guess we’ll find out. But Nick Sandmann’s journey of lucrative victimhood is now well on its way. He will be a star at every Republican gathering for the next five years. He’ll probably meet the president. He’s set for life. Another great American story.

Covington Catholic had previously announced that it was forced to close on Tuesday "due to threats of violence."

As Hank Berrien of the Daily Wire reported, the White House has already reached out to the Covington Catholic boys for an official White House visit. The incident has the potential, in a way not that different from the Colin Kaepernick-instigated NFL kneeling protest saga, to serve as an ongoing culture war cudgel for President Trump. And if the Left's reaction today to Savannah Guthrie's mere announcement of an interview with Nick Sandmann is any indication, Trump may be able to utilize the cudgel for a long time to come.

RBP
01-23-2019, 01:30 PM
I don't understand. These people have simply lost their minds.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-23-2019, 01:31 PM
By Peter Hassan - The Daily Caller

https://i.imgur.com/5XEDrvUl.jpg

Native American activist Nathan Phillips has repeatedly misrepresented several facts about a viral incident between himself and a group of boys from Kentucky high school Covington Catholic that took place after Friday’s March for Life.

Phillips has continued to misrepresent the incident, even as he has changed his version of events in the face of video debunking his earlier accounts.

Phillips originally told The Washington Post the students swarmed him while he was preparing to leave the Indigenous People’s March scheduled for the same day. Phillips originally said one student, who has since identified himself as high school junior Nick Sandmann, blocked his path from leaving as he tried to do so.

Phillips’s original account was uncritically accepted by national media outlets and quickly exploded online, in combination with a selectively edited video that showed Phillips beating his drum in front of Sandmann and a group of boisterous high school boys. (RELATED: Kathy Griffin Called For People To Dox The Covington Catholic Kids. Twitter Won’t Do Anything About It)

The extended video shows that wasn’t the case: Phillips approached the high school boys during their cheers, not the other way around. Some of the people with Phillips were directing racially charged language at the students, not the other way around.

Phillips told a second variation of his story to the Detroit Free Press. Phillips claimed he was playing the role of peacemaker by getting between the students and four “old black individuals,” whom he claimed the students were attacking.

“They were in the process of attacking these four black individuals,” Phillip told the Michigan paper. “I was there and I was witnessing all of this … As this kept on going on and escalating, it just got to a point where you do something or you walk away, you know? You see something that is wrong and you’re faced with that choice of right or wrong.”

“These young men were beastly and these old black individuals was their prey, and I stood in between them and so they needed their pounds of flesh and they were looking at me for that,” he added.

Extended video shows that account also isn’t accurate. The four individuals Phillips referenced were members of the Black Hebrew Israelites and they launched racist and anti-gay slurs at the high school students, not the other way around.

WATCH:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpoTGUSRTwA

“The protesters said hateful things. They called us ‘racists,’ ‘bigots,’ ‘white crackers,’ ‘faggots,’ and ‘incest kids.’ They also taunted an African-American student from my school by telling him that they would ‘harvest his organs,’ Sandmann, the high school junior, said in his statement.

Several minutes of video supports Sandmann’s statement precisely.

Phillips repeatedly claimed in his interviews Sunday and Monday that some of the students he claimed had surrounded him had also chanted “build the wall.” None of the videos to emerge of the incident so far have shown any chants to that effect.

Rather than acknowledging the errors in his original stories, Phillips deflected by attacking Sandmann on Tuesday.

“He needs to put out a different statement,” Phillips said. “I’m disappointed with his statement. He didn’t accept any responsibility. That lack of responsibility, I don’t accept it.”

Phillips also suggested students should be expelled over the incident he misrepresented.

“At first, I wanted the teachers and chaperones to be reprimanded — some fired — for letting this happen. For the students, I was against any expulsions, but now I have to revisit that,” he said.

Media outlets also reported for days that Phillips was a veteran of the Vietnam war, a portrayal based in large part off of Phillips’ description of himself as a “Vietnam-times veteran.” Phillips, it was revealed on Tuesday, never deployed to Vietnam.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-23-2019, 01:33 PM
I don't understand. These people have simply lost their minds.

What's worse is, they're all still trying to go forward with the false narrative, it's ridiculous. The kid has been exonerated now that the full video has come out and they STILL want to make him the bad guy, all because he's a white male.

DemonGeminiX
01-23-2019, 01:34 PM
Wow... everybody got this wrong. Those kids deserve a serious apology.

I don't know what game Phillips is playing, but he should be ashamed of himself.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-23-2019, 01:38 PM
Wow... everybody got this wrong. Those kids deserve a serious apology.

I don't know what game Phillips is playing, but he should be ashamed of himself.

He even allowed the media to run with the story that he was a Vietnam Vet when it now comes out that he never deployed to Vietnam, something he could have easily corrected when the media was portraying him that way. :|

DemonGeminiX
01-23-2019, 01:40 PM
What would you expect from a liar? Stolen valor isn't that big of a deal to them.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-23-2019, 03:03 PM
By Alana Mastrangelo - Breitbart

https://i.imgur.com/5yBAtg1.jpg

A group of Native American activists, led by native elder Nathan Phillips, allegedly tried to enter a Catholic church in Washington, DC, on Saturday while chanting and banging on their drums.

Nathan Phillips, along with about twenty other activists, tried to disrupt a January 19th evening Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, while chanting and banging on their drums, according to the Catholic News Agency (CNA).

Phillips, who had captured national media attention after his confrontation with Covington Catholic High School students on Friday, was reportedly stopped by security from entering the Catholic church on Saturday as he and others chanted and played their drums during a Vigil Mass.

“It was really upsetting,” said a security guard to CNA, “There were about twenty people trying to get in, we had to lock the doors and everything.”

“We had hundreds and hundreds of people from all over the country come here to celebrate life,” continued the security guard to CNA, “It’s a house of worship, a place of prayer where people come to celebrate. All this anger is so against what we are all about here.”

The security guard added that the “protest” attempting to enter the church during its Mass was “really the worst.”

A short video clip of a separate incident involving Phillips — just one day prior to him storming the Catholic church — surfaced on the internet and was then circulated around on social media.

In the video, Phillips was seen in an alleged altercation with students from Covington Catholic High School, which immediately resulted in national outrage from members of mainstream media, Hollywood, and political pundits from both the right and left.

As more context was added to the story in the following days, many admitted to prematurely passing judgment on the students, while others scrambled to delete their initial tweets regarding the incident.

The damage, however, had already been done, and the high school felt it was necessary to cancel classes on Tuesday after receiving violent threats.

Friday’s incident had not been the first time Phillips ended up in news headlines. In April 2015, Phillips claimed that students from Eastern Michigan University had hurled racial slurs at him as well as a beer can while shouting at him to “go back to the reservation,” according to Fox 2 Detroit.

Phillips has also claimed that he is a Vietnam veteran. On Tuesday, however, it was discovered that Phillips had never been deployed to Vietnam, causing the Washington Post to correct its story regarding Phillips’ military record.

The security guard at the basilica told CNA that he does not know the details of what had happened during Friday’s incident involving Phillips and the high school students, but he hopes he never sees another incident like the one he saw on Saturday when Phillips and others attempted to disrupt the Vigil Mass.

DemonGeminiX
01-23-2019, 03:30 PM
And with this and the last revelation, this man has lost all credibility and any possible sympathy that I could have for him.

Muddy
01-23-2019, 03:37 PM
Wow..!

Hal-9000
01-23-2019, 07:10 PM
We have to tread very carefully with First Nations people in my area. They're being awarded land rights and are gaining power in the province both politically and financially. There's even an Indian coalition offering to buy the Transmountain Pipeline contracts, which is huge in southwestern Canada.

and this guy above does this "Phillips has also claimed that he is a Vietnam veteran. On Tuesday, however, it was discovered that Phillips had never been deployed to Vietnam..."

If he's going to lie about that, his credibility is shot.

Muddy
01-23-2019, 07:21 PM
^^ Usually and sadly, when you give people their power back they confuse that act of kindness and confuse it for weakness and they then turn around and try and fuck you with the the power you gave back.

Hal-9000
01-23-2019, 07:28 PM
^^ Usually and sadly, when you give people their power back they confuse that act of kindness amd confuse it for weakness and they then turn around and try and fuck you with the the power you gave back.

Unfortunately we've had the stereotypical Indians in our city for years. Drunks and abusers of welfare help. We had a set of army barracks near me that housed military families for decades. When I was in high school, some of the military children went to my school. They turned the land and housing over the Indians and the barracks were ruined within 10 years. I drove through there one night smoking a jay and it was the poster area for poverty. Missing windows, parts of washing machines and cars on front lawns, dirty little kids running around in ripped clothes. The entire area was bulldozed and now is a parking lot for...wait for it...the only Indian casino in our city.

Extreme example and stereotypical. Luckily we have some Indian leaders who do value hard work and pride, and those guys are making some big changes in our province without backsliding as you're alluding to above.

Muddy
01-23-2019, 07:31 PM
There some truth to the term 'fire water' I think.. ^^^

Hal-9000
01-23-2019, 07:37 PM
There some truth to the term 'fire water' I think.. ^^^

Shit man I remember my Dad was driving me somewhere when I was a kid and a big, very drunk Indian was walking up the middle of the (busy) road giving every driver the finger and screaming fuck off as he weaved in and out of traffic. My pops wasn't much of a bigot but he hated Indians. (Dad worked all over western Canada doing seismic and there were stories...)

PorkChopSandwiches
01-23-2019, 08:40 PM
https://youtu.be/y4B3SZYL52s

lost in melb.
07-27-2019, 11:15 PM
See ya later, ya little snot

https://amp-cnn-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/07/27/media/washington-post-defamation-lawsuit-sandmann/index.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2019%2F07%2F2 7%2Fmedia%2Fwashington-post-defamation-lawsuit-sandmann%2Findex.html

DemonGeminiX
07-28-2019, 12:35 AM
Little snot, my ass. That kid had every right to sue. The judge that dismissed the case was wrong.

lost in melb.
07-28-2019, 01:17 AM
He's a snooty little douche-nozzle :thumbsup:

DemonGeminiX
07-28-2019, 02:08 AM
He's an innocent kid that got railroaded by a leftist biased media.