PDA

View Full Version : Over a Third of Generation Z Knows a Non-Binary Person

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2019, 11:55 AM
Samantha Allen - The Daily Beast

https://i.imgur.com/7iHtdb5l.jpg

As older generations continue to debate everything from transgender military service to transgender restroom use to transgender participation in athletics, a rising generation of young Americans are entering public life.

And new Pew Research Center data suggests that Generation Z—born after 1996–may be surpassing even millennials in their familiarity with non-binary gender identity and their support for transgender acceptance.

In fall 2018, the non-partisan Pew Research Center surveyed over 900 teenagers and over 10,000 adults on various social issues. Their findings on Generation Z, released last week, “combine[s] data from the teens survey with data from the 18-to-21-year-old respondents in the adult survey,” as the full report indicates [PDF].

Among the most striking results: A full 35 percent of Generation Z say they personally know someone who uses gender-neutral pronouns like “they” and “them,”as compared to a quarter of millennials who said the same. Only 16 and 12 percent of Generation X and Baby Boomers, respectively, know someone who doesn’t use “he” or “she.”

As Pew noted, 59 percent of Generation Z also say that “forms or online profiles that ask about a person’s gender should include options other than ‘man’ or ‘woman.’”

Social media services have long been moving in this direction already; in fact, in 2014, Facebook added several dozen possible terms for gender identity to its profiles.

States and other jurisdictions around the U.S. are also beginning to allow for the use of “X” in gender fields on ID rather than “M” or “F”; at the start of 2019, for example, both California and New York City began issuing documents with non-binary gender options.

On this particular issue, Generation Z goes well beyond millennials, who are split roughly evenly—at 50 percent support—on the question of whether forms should offer options besides “man” or “woman.”

Generation X, Baby Boomers, and the Silent Generation did not express majority support for more expansive gender options on forms and online profiles; rather, 40 percent of Gen X, 37 percent of Boomers, and 32 percent of the Silent Generation said that forms should have more than just two binary gender choices.

Although Generation Z is certainly more familiar with non-binary identity, they’re not significantly far ahead of millennials’ already-high level of LGBT support on some of the issues that Pew asked about.

As Pew notes in the report, their findings “seem to speak more to exposure than to viewpoint” given the fact that, for example, about half of both Generation Z and Millennials—50 percent and 47 percent, respectively—agreed with the proposition that “society isn’t accepting enough of people who don’t identify as a man or woman.”

Still, though, Generation Z appears to be nudging ahead of millennials on that question, if only by a few percentage points: 28 percent of millennials, for instance, said that society was “too accepting” of non-binary people; only 23 percent of Generation Z said the same. By comparison, over a third of Boomers said that society today was “too accepting” of people outside the gender binary.

Other than that, Generation Z and millennials were largely identical in their LGBT support on the questions in this latest Pew survey. Roughly equal percentages of each generation said they were comfortable using gender-neutral pronouns to refer to someone—and approximately half of both Generation Z and millennials said that same-sex marriage was “a good thing” for society, compared to about a third of Gen X that said the same.

This is far from the first indication that Generation Z could be the most fully LGBT-inclusive yet.

According to a 2014 national survey from Northeastern University, nearly three quarters support generation rights, as an Association of National Advertisers profile of Generation Z noted.

In 2016, as Broadly exclusively reported, a forecasting agency found that only 44 percent of Generation Z “always bought clothes designed for their own gender,” compared to over half of millennials who did. In 2018, market research company Ipsos Mori found that Generation Z was more passionate about LGBT equality than older generations—and less likely to identify as heterosexual themselves, as the Advocate observed.

The Pew data suggests that at this rate, 20 years from now, our current bickering over bathrooms will seem quaint to a generation that has largely accepted transgender people as a fact of life.

Goofy
01-25-2019, 05:07 PM
I dont even know what the fuck a non-binary person is, let alone actually know someone who is one.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2019, 05:13 PM
I dont even know what the fuck a non-binary person is, let alone actually know someone who is one.

:triggered:

Hal-9000
01-25-2019, 05:15 PM

Binary code is composed of 0's and 1's. These people are zeroes :lol:

They are the people that choose not to identify with either the male or female label. As the article says, they check 'other' when filling out forms and respond to pronouns like 'they' and 'them'.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2019, 05:21 PM
https://i.imgur.com/7x7zqbN.png

Hal-9000
01-25-2019, 05:24 PM
You know, I'm not even a writer and this sort of thing gives me all sorts of literary fits trying to insert the terms into a conversation.

Goofy
01-25-2019, 06:11 PM
Binary code is composed of 0's and 1's. These people are zeroes :lol:

They are the people that choose not to identify with either the male or female label. As the article says, they check 'other' when filling out forms and respond to pronouns like 'they' and 'them'.
What they choose to identify as means nothing to a GP or Surgeon so who am i to argue? Cock and balls = male, tits and pussy = female :tup:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-25-2019, 06:14 PM
Gender is a social construct :nono:

Hal-9000
01-25-2019, 06:18 PM
What they choose to identify as means nothing to a GP or Surgeon so who am i to argue? Cock and balls = male, tits and pussy = female :tup:

I honestly feel sorry for people in positions like teachers who will get accused of misgendering someone when they get the pronoun wrong. How can a person know?

Goofy
01-25-2019, 06:21 PM
Gender is a social construct :nono:

I'll socially construct my foot up your ass! :x

I honestly feel sorry for people in positions like teachers who will get accused of misgendering someone when they get the pronoun wrong. How can a person know?

That's why i just call everyone "cunt" :tup:

Hal-9000
01-25-2019, 06:26 PM
I'll socially construct my foot up your ass! :x

That's why i just call everyone "cunt" :tup:

Did you see that video where the guy was freaking out at the Game Stop store?

As a clerk how in the hell would know what pronoun to call that person? Most or all gay men still prefer the regular male pronouns and some of the trans people make it hard to guess.

Goofy
01-25-2019, 06:34 PM
I totally agree with you ya cunt :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
01-25-2019, 06:36 PM
For the hard C-word can you call me Canadian instead?

:lol: ya bastard, up yours ya ninny fucker

Goofy
01-25-2019, 11:31 PM
For the hard C-word can you call me Canadian instead?

:lol: ya bastard, up yours ya ninny fucker

Canuck cunt :nana:

Truthfully i do have mates that i'll address with "Alright ya cunt" :lol: Every morning i address my workmate with "Alright there fannybaws", it's kinda become a tradition now :lol:

deebakes
01-26-2019, 01:51 AM
I guess I know three :shrug:

Godfather
01-26-2019, 08:21 AM
find the gay person:

👩🏻👩🏼👩🏽👩🏾👩🏿👩🏻👩🏼👩🏽👩🏾👩🏿 👨🏻👨🏼👨🏽👨🏾👨🏿👨🏻👨🏼👨🏽👨🏾👨🏿 👦🏽👦🏾👦🏿👦🏻👦🏼👦🏽👦🏾👦🏿

can’t find them?

that’s because they live among us, looking like normal people.

the only real difference is they’re going to hell

RBP
01-26-2019, 02:17 PM
:lol:

RBP
01-26-2019, 02:24 PM
So if binary gendering is a social construct, than the rise in non-binary is also socially constructed and therefore not real either.

It's like arguing that masculinity is 100% socialized and can be completely redefined, but also arguing that gay people are 100% "born this way".

https://i.imgur.com/2cRv5qs.gif

Teh One Who Knocks
01-26-2019, 02:34 PM
find the gay person:

👩🏻👩🏼👩🏽👩🏾👩🏿👩🏻👩🏼👩🏽👩🏾👩🏿 👨🏻👨🏼👨🏽👨🏾👨🏿👨🏻👨🏼👨🏽👨🏾👨🏿 👦🏽👦🏾👦🏿👦🏻👦🏼👦🏽👦🏾👦🏿

can’t find them?

the only real difference is they’re going to hellIs it the one that made that post I just quoted? :-k

:outtahere:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-26-2019, 02:34 PM
So if binary gendering is a social construct, than the rise in non-binary is also socially constructed and therefore not real either.

It's like arguing that masculinity is 100% socialized and can be completely redefined, but also arguing that gay people are 100% "born this way".

https://i.imgur.com/2cRv5qs.gif:triggered:

Hal-9000
01-26-2019, 08:41 PM
find the gay person:

���������������������������������������� ���������������������������������������� ��������������������������������

can’t find them?

that's my PM :lol:

Hal-9000
01-26-2019, 09:05 PM
Canuck cunt :nana:

Truthfully i do have mates that i'll address with "Alright ya cunt" :lol: Every morning i address my workmate with "Alright there fannybaws", it's kinda become a tradition now :lol:

Thanks? :lol:

I cut my head badly swimming when I was younger and got quite a few stitches on my forehead. I became known as Frank, as in Frankenstein because of the scar.

My friends would then call me up on the phone or greet me in person and our greeting tradition became:

friends - Fraaaaaank!
me - fuckofffff!

Muddy
01-27-2019, 01:18 AM
find the gay person:

���������������������������������������� ���������������������������������������� ��������������������������������

can’t find them?

Well thats not very nice..

Pony
01-27-2019, 02:55 AM
Thanks? :lol:

I cut my head badly swimming when I was younger and got quite a few stitches on my forehead. I became known as Frank, as in Frankenstein because of the scar.

My friends would then call me up on the phone or greet me in person and our greeting tradition became:

friends - Fraaaaaank!
me - fuckofffff!

I'm too lazy tonight to change your Avatar. :lol:

lost in melb.
01-27-2019, 09:37 AM
I think the whole Binary/non-binary thing has always been there. They're just giving it labels now.

My mother was a singer/actress so had a lot of 'Queer' acting friends. They added an interesting flavour to life. Though, I can't say I would be prepared to hang out with them outside of theatre events.

DemonGeminiX
01-27-2019, 10:53 AM
I've had a couple of gay friends over the years. But they weren't disillusioned with the gender dichotomy, or identifying themselves as anything besides gay men or lesbian women. I've never had a queer friend that identified themselves as a unicorn zebra with wings.

RBP
01-27-2019, 01:13 PM
I think the whole Binary/non-binary thing has always been there. They're just giving it labels now.

My mother was a singer/actress so had a lot of 'Queer' acting friends. They added an interesting flavour to life. Though, I can't say I would be prepared to hang out with them outside of theatre events.

Correct, but "just giving it labels now" drastically understates the insidious nature if the attempted cultural hijacking. I am unsettled about how seriously to take it. I know on this board, I am perceived as a bit obsessive about it, and perhaps I am. But in a larger context, how seriously should this be taken. This is different than the late 60's early 70's radical movements. Those were timid in comparison. They didn't have the institutional allies of the media and higher education... I say higher, but the indoctrination stars far earlier.

Is it worth going down the rabbit hole to find out? I think I understand the sad feminism evolution piece pretty well, but I am finding the broader movement a bit harder to grasp. I think it is because it's language based with no historical relevance. But don't call it cultural Marxism, the NYT will label you an alt-right devil. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/13/opinion/cultural-marxism-anti-semitism.html

None of it makes any sense. And yet what I call nonsense has mainstreamed.

I am not sure who posted it, I couldn't find the post, but thank you to the member who directed me to a conversation between Jordan Peterson and Camille Pagllia. 1:45 of great intellectual manna.

I found a transcript for those that would rather read it. https://jordanbpeterson.com/transcripts/camille-paglia/

Teh One Who Knocks
01-27-2019, 02:51 PM
Call me old fashioned, but sorry, gender is not an "infinite spectrum" and there's no such fucking thing as "gender fluid". This generations need to simultaneously resist labeling but also insist on a need for labeling is fucking ridiculous.

Do I believe there are people that are homosexual or heterosexual or bisexual? If course. And do I believe they're are people actually suffering from gender dysphoria? Yes to that too, but not nearly in the numbers being claimed. Being "different" especially labeling yourself as 'trans' is the in thing to do. I'm not sure what's causing this to be popular, but it's ridiculous.

Not really sure where I was going with this, but I guess I just don't buy any of it.

Hal-9000
01-27-2019, 07:09 PM
I'm too lazy tonight to change your Avatar. :lol:

Drink some of my gender fluid

:lol:

Hal-9000
01-27-2019, 07:12 PM
Call me old fashioned, but sorry, gender is not an "infinite spectrum" and there's no such fucking thing as "gender fluid". This generations need to simultaneously resist labeling but also insist on a need for labeling is fucking ridiculous.

Do I believe there are people that are homosexual or heterosexual or bisexual? If course. And do I believe they're are people actually suffering from gender dysphoria? Yes to that too, but not nearly in the numbers being claimed. Being "different" especially labeling yourself as 'trans' is the in thing to do. I'm not sure what's causing this to be popular, but it's ridiculous.

Not really sure where I was going with this, but I guess I just don't buy any of it.

https://i.imgur.com/RYzF9NN.jpg

Hal-9000
01-27-2019, 07:13 PM

Ah so the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree. Explains much :thumbsup:

lost in melb.
01-28-2019, 01:30 AM
Correct, but "just giving it labels now" drastically understates the insidious nature if the attempted cultural hijacking. I am unsettled about how seriously to take it. I know on this board, I am perceived as a bit obsessive about it, and perhaps I am. But in a larger context, how seriously should this be taken. This is different than the late 60's early 70's radical movements. Those were timid in comparison. They didn't have the institutional allies of the media and higher education... I say higher, but the indoctrination stars far earlier.

Is it worth going down the rabbit hole to find out? I think I understand the sad feminism evolution piece pretty well, but I am finding the broader movement a bit harder to grasp. I think it is because it's language based with no historical relevance. But don't call it cultural Marxism, the NYT will label you an alt-right devil. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/13/opinion/cultural-marxism-anti-semitism.html

None of it makes any sense. And yet what I call nonsense has mainstreamed.

I don't think it's mainstreamed. Walking down the street and living your life how much does this affect you? Only need go to a sports event to see which culture is dominant. There is I suspect an inverse relationship between 'alt living' , economic success and reproduction.

But it's getting a lot of coverage because it's different i.e. newsworthy and every dog has their day. People who have been prejudiced against ( arguably by the dominant culture) in the past now have a voice and there's a bit of a backlash. I'm sure if you survived emancipation of blacks a few drips and dykes won't do any harm. Hell, I don't even think I've met a transexual before. I suspect most of them are as organized to change society as this Thai girl is to bring back Fascism https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-28/thai-girl-group-bnk48-in-hot-water-over-nazi-swastika-shirt/10755074

I am not sure who posted it, I couldn't find the post, but thank you to the member who directed me to a conversation between Jordan Peterson and Camille Pagllia. 1:45 of great intellectual manna.

I found a transcript for those that would rather read it. https://jordanbpeterson.com/transcripts/camille-paglia/

Marxist militant Jews in the 70s. Is that the point you were making :-s

:hills:

lost in melb.
01-28-2019, 01:34 AM
Ah so the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree. Explains much :thumbsup:

Handsome, intelligent AND witty! We should go for a deconstructed soy latte some time :daisy:

RBP
01-28-2019, 04:22 AM
I don't think it's mainstreamed. Walking down the street and living your life how much does this affect you? Only need go to a sports event to see which culture is dominant. There is I suspect an inverse relationship between 'alt living' , economic success and reproduction.

But it's getting a lot of coverage because it's different i.e. newsworthy and every dog has their day. People who have been prejudiced against ( arguably by the dominant culture) in the past now have a voice and there's a bit of a backlash. I'm sure if you survived emancipation of blacks a few drips and dykes won't do any harm. Hell, I don't even think I've met a transexual before. I suspect most of them are as organized to change society as this Thai girl is to bring back Fascism https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-28/thai-girl-group-bnk48-in-hot-water-over-nazi-swastika-shirt/10755074

Marxist militant Jews in the 70s. Is that the point you were making :-s

:hills:

I take large offense at your sarcastic implication that my opinion is based in bigotry. So I am choosing not to engage.

lost in melb.
01-28-2019, 09:56 AM
I honestly can't see which part of my post offended you. Not the Nazi reference I hope. I was saying the Thai girls are as clueless to what they represent as the 'left alt hermaphrodites'

There was no transcript there, just recordings and I watched a bit of it, at least grant me that. At some stage she was talking about, yes, Marxist Jews in the 70s.

In fairness better to explain in brief words than ask me to watch an interview to try and work out your point. That's what the making fun of you was about, it's like come on old chap, that's a big expectation! I do try and take what you say seriously. And appreciate you sharing references.

RBP
01-28-2019, 12:37 PM
I honestly can't see which part of my post offended you. Not the Nazi reference I hope. I was saying the Thai girls are as clueless to what they represent as the 'left alt hermaphrodites'

There was no transcript there, just recordings and I watched a bit of it, at least grant me that. At some stage she was talking about, yes, Marxist Jews in the 70s.

In fairness better to explain in brief words than ask me to watch an interview to try and work out your point. That's what the making fun of you was about, it's like come on old chap, that's a big expectation! I do try and take what you say seriously. And appreciate you sharing references.
I'm sure if you survived emancipation of blacks a few drips and dykes won't do any harm

That's what I took issue with. I was tired and about to rant. I chose to go to bed.

The Peterson-Paglia link was a separate piece that delves into the rabbit hole to explain the evolution of the post modernism philosophy that got us to this point. It wasn't posted to make a point in and of itself.

lost in melb.
01-29-2019, 03:24 PM
That's what I took issue with. I was tired and about to rant. I chose to go to bed.

The Peterson-Paglia link was a separate piece that delves into the rabbit hole to explain the evolution of the post modernism philosophy that got us to this point. It wasn't posted to make a point in and of itself.

Sorry, I was glib. Self-entertainment that went astray.

I watched the first 20 minutes and it does look fascinating. So far, it's actually right up my (ex) alley. I had a crisis and took a hiatus to study contemporary fine arts around 10 years ago and this would be an interesting historical/political perspective on the post-modernist era ( when art kinda died for a while). The teacher was great, really passionate and open to everything while at the same time being privately a devoted christian. I can see if I can find some of my art works if you're interested.

M y academic mind has been a bit thawed lately, having stepped out the of the university setting, but this reminds me of what I was searching for in it: the deeper purpose of education - understanding of creativity and life! ( the field doesn't matter, really) I'm surprised that an interview like this would draw you in. I think most people would be reflexively repulsed by this kind of discussion - it requires a substantial intellectual investment to even begin at the starting line. And intellectualism is seen by the mainstream as ugly and irrelevant nowadays.

p.s. have you read any of the american author Henry Miller? (not Arthur Miller)

DemonGeminiX
01-29-2019, 03:28 PM
You mean 'The Tropic of Cancer' Henry Miller? I have a copy of that somewhere. From what I remember, it was boring.

RBP
01-29-2019, 03:40 PM
Sorry, I was glib. Self-entertainment that went astray.

I watched the first 20 minutes and it does look fascinating. So far, it's actually right up my (ex) alley. I had a crisis and took a hiatus to study contemporary fine arts around 10 years ago and this would be an interesting historical/political perspective on the post-modernist era ( when art kinda died for a while). The teacher was great, really passionate and open to everything while at the same time being privately a devoted christian. I can see if I can find some of my art works if you're interested.

M y academic mind has been a bit thawed lately, having stepped out the of the university setting, but this reminds me of what I was searching for in it: the deeper purpose of education - understanding of creativity and life! ( the field doesn't matter, really) I'm surprised that an interview like this would draw you in. I think most people would be reflexively repulsed by this kind of discussion - it requires a substantial intellectual investment to even begin at the starting line. And intellectualism is seen by the mainstream as ugly and irrelevant nowadays.

p.s. have you read any of the american author Henry Miller? (not Arthur Miller)

What draws me into it is 2 things. 1) I have followed this transformation in our society for some time, and and I could never grasp the how and why. So the evolution of education, art, and the bastardization of historic radical liberalism actually explains it better than I have been able. It's a deeper rabbit hole than I realized and fascinating. 2) I have realized I an intellectually starving my brain. I spent the years in grad school, and did a lot of research outside of that as well. I was constantly researching clients in internship and following the path to knowledge beyond single client. Then... nothing... I was mindlessly delivering things and was so starved that I started identifying the patterns in delivery routes and was able to work backwards to logistics strategies and experiments by Amazon. You get the point. :lol:

I have not read Henry Miller.

lost in melb.
01-30-2019, 06:13 AM
You mean 'The Tropic of Cancer' Henry Miller? I have a copy of that somewhere. From what I remember, it was boring.

I can understand how a writer describing his own complete failure as a writer might not interest some people ;)

I recommended it because it's his shorter book and a warm-up to Sexus, set in america. Sexus was the first published book to contain vivid pornography (remember that thriller with Nick Nolte and Robert De niro on the house boat? That was the book handed over to corrupt the girl)

While it does contain smashing porn, Sexus actually describes, broadly autobiographically, a Dude working in a mindless corporate job while his brain analyses and tears down the entire situation town to the the truth of life - with plenty of fcking. I consider him the greatest american author.

lost in melb.
01-30-2019, 06:16 AM
What draws me into it is 2 things. 1) I have followed this transformation in our society for some time, and and I could never grasp the how and why. So the evolution of education, art, and the bastardization of historic radical liberalism actually explains it better than I have been able. It's a deeper rabbit hole than I realized and fascinating. 2) I have realized I an intellectually starving my brain. I spent the years in grad school, and did a lot of research outside of that as well. I was constantly researching clients in internship and following the path to knowledge beyond single client. Then... nothing... I was mindlessly delivering things and was so starved that I started identifying the patterns in delivery routes and was able to work backwards to logistics strategies and experiments by Amazon. You get the point. :lol:

I have not read Henry Miller.

Cool. I'll try and watch the rest on the weekend and lt you know what I think.

"Active Brain Syndrome" eh? ( I made that up) :)