PDA

View Full Version : Chicago will be colder than Antarctica, Mount Everest and Siberia this week

Teh One Who Knocks
01-29-2019, 12:49 PM
By Aris Folley - The Hill

https://i.imgur.com/y3wm7gZ.jpg

Chicago is expected to have one of its coldest days on record this week, with temperatures on Wednesday forecasted to reach historic lows typically seen in some of the globe’s most chilling locations.

According to a local CBS station, low temperatures are expected to reach 20 degrees below zero (-29C) on Wednesday, which would reportedly be the lowest temperature ever recorded in the Windy City on Jan. 30.

Chicago is also expected to see a high of 12 below zero (-24C) on Wednesday, which would also reportedly be the coldest high temperature ever recorded in the city.

The forecasts would reportedly place Chicago among some of the world’s frostiest sites, including the South Pole, which is expected to see a high temperature of 4 below zero (-20C) on the same day.

Barrow, Alaska, which is located north of the Arctic Circle, is expected to see a high of 7 below zero (-22C) on Wednesday and Zackenberg Station, Greenland, will reportedly reach 11 below zero (-24C), CBS 2 noted.

Even the summit of Mount Everest is expected to be warmer than Chicago on Wednesday with an expected high of 30 (-1C), it added, and parts of Siberia are also expected to see higher temperatures than the city that day.

Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker has warned of a "potentially historic winter storm that will bring extreme cold to our state” on Wednesday, according to CNN.

RBP
01-29-2019, 01:13 PM
Yup. It's cold.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-29-2019, 04:14 PM
But mu global warming

RBP
01-29-2019, 04:27 PM
But mu global warming

"you don't understand climate, that's weather"
"it's global climate change"

That train's never late.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-29-2019, 04:37 PM
Adapt :tup:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-29-2019, 04:40 PM

That train's never late.

I love how the term has changed to fit the narrative since the 70's. Cant call call it "global warming" since we are seeing record cold, guess its "climate change" then.

Hal-9000
01-29-2019, 05:08 PM
Climate is changing because it always changes. And what we do on Earth affects the climate, it's science not theory.

I feel for the Chicago cold people. We set a record last winter in a few categories. One of them was consistent days under -20C.

I think Winnipeg got down to -40C with the wind chill factor this year already.

No offense but the news report is comparing some relatively nice days in those other places. 30F at Mount Everest isn't a daily thing :lol:

I think we hit -36C last winter and that gets bad for any exposed skin. Gotta plan your journeys outside.

perrhaps
01-29-2019, 08:11 PM
Yup. It's cold.

Should reduce the murder rate, though

lost in melb.
01-30-2019, 05:48 AM

That train's never late.

Finally, you get it

South Australia breaks temperature records as Port Augusta hits 49.5C

And Sydney about to record hottest Jan ever

lost in melb.
01-30-2019, 10:21 AM
The unusually frigid weather is attributed to a sudden warming far above the North Pole.

A blast of warm air from misplaced Moroccan heat last month made the normally super chilly air temperatures above the North Pole rapidly increase.

That split the polar vortex into pieces, which then started to wander, said Judah Cohen, a winter storm expert for Atmospheric Environmental Research.

One of those polar vortex pieces is responsible for the subzero temperatures across the Midwest this week.

In the midst of the cold weather, President Donald Trump pleaded for global warming to "come back".

But scientific reports issued by the Trump administration and outside climate scientists contradict Mr Trump's suggestion that global warming can't exist if it's cold outside.

RBP
01-30-2019, 11:49 AM
The smarter-more-attractive-half's car started like a trooper. Going to shut it off then restart when she gets up.

https://i.imgur.com/YkA5Aub.png?1

lost in melb.
01-30-2019, 12:22 PM
Aren't you risking life and limb driving in this kind of cold. What if you get stuck?

RBP
01-30-2019, 01:03 PM
Aren't you risking life and limb driving in this kind of cold. What if you get stuck?

We have contingencies in place, she has provisions in the car, including food, blankets, and a strobe light to make the car identifiable. 24/7 operations don't shut down; there are people involved that need the staff. She understands the that time will be critical in the case of a breakdown or accident, and made a mature rational decision based on careful consideration. I'm available if necessary.

To answer your question, yes. But we are both more concerned about how many seniors and homeless will die today than whether she can drive 45 minutes in a warm, well-serviced, car.

RBP
01-30-2019, 04:11 PM
Still 20 below here. My car fired right up too. Time to run some errands.

Muddy
01-30-2019, 04:34 PM

Get me some Beer.. Oh and some wings..

Teh One Who Knocks
01-30-2019, 04:42 PM

Back in Vermont we called that springtime :hand:

Hal-9000
01-30-2019, 04:59 PM

Geez you get all concerned when he's in -20...I made a thread when it got past -35 at my place last year and you Aussies said hot weather was worse (in terms of immediate danger, it's not).

:sad2: I can see who loves who here.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-30-2019, 05:03 PM
Geez you get all concerned when he's in -20...I made a thread when it got past -35 at my place last year and you Aussies said hot weather was worse (in terms of immediate danger, it's not).

:sad2: I can see who loves who here.

Back in Vermont, at -35C we'd think about putting a sweatshirt on :hand:

Hal-9000
01-30-2019, 05:06 PM
We have contingencies in place, she has provisions in the car, including food, blankets, and a strobe light to make the car identifiable. 24/7 operations don't shut down; there are people involved that need the staff. She understands the that time will be critical in the case of a breakdown or accident, and made a mature rational decision based on careful consideration. I'm available if necessary.

To answer your question, yes. But we are both more concerned about how many seniors and homeless will die today than whether she can drive 45 minutes in a warm, well-serviced, car.

We have spots in our city where it's a long, long walk to any sort of buildings if your car dies. I was in that spot a few years back when my friend's old Mazda truck crapped out on a road on the west side of our city. We were within city limits and could see the city lights, but it was still over an hour to get somewhere walking. We ended up knocking on a stranger's door at 11 pm...they let us use their phone luckily.

Right up until two years ago I used to drive everywhere in the winter alone, without a cell phone. It's a dumb gamble when temps drop that low because if the wind chill is bad enough, your skin can freeze within minutes. I'm pretty sure the tips of three of my fingers got frostbite that night because they always ache and get cold when it's cold out.

Hal-9000
01-30-2019, 05:09 PM
Back in Vermont, at -35C we'd think about putting a sweatshirt on :hand:

Back in Vermont you sat close to the fireplace indoors crying for hot chocolate and blankets when it got anywhere below -2 :x

:beatdown:

Hal-9000
01-30-2019, 05:11 PM
Again, no offense to anyone trying to get through multiple days of cold weather. Some places in Manitoba are recording recent temps of -40 to -70...due to winds.

These Everest and Siberia listed temps are pretty much our spring weather :lol:

#notvermont

Teh One Who Knocks
01-30-2019, 05:15 PM
Back in Vermont, at -70C we'd throw another log on the fire :hand:

Hal-9000
01-30-2019, 05:15 PM
:lol: we should make a Back in Vermont thread

Teh One Who Knocks
01-30-2019, 06:28 PM
Back in Vermont we just would have started that thread :hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-30-2019, 06:51 PM
https://i.imgur.com/VL8bXsq.png

Hal-9000
01-30-2019, 06:54 PM
no sunscreen needed today California-boy?? cause you're trapped in winter-hell???

:x

PorkChopSandwiches
01-30-2019, 06:56 PM
https://i.imgur.com/EE7V9ht.mp4

Hal-9000
01-30-2019, 06:59 PM
at 61F I put on shorts and get out the lawnmower :lol:

no wait... Back in Vermont when it's 61F we wear thongs.

Hal-9000
01-30-2019, 11:32 PM
https://i.imgur.com/kgaHxi1.mp4