PDA

View Full Version : Netflix begs viewers to please stop thirsting after Ted Bundy

RBP
01-29-2019, 01:46 PM
30 years after his state-administered execution, serial killer Ted Bundy is getting a lot of 2019 airtime — and some seriously concerning audience reactions have Netflix stepping in.

Last Thursday, on the anniversary of Bundy's death, the streaming giant released director Joe Berlinger's four-part docuseries, Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes, to a captive and eager audience. Two days later, Berlinger's Bundy biopic starring Zac Efron, titled Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, and Vile, premiered to a divided audience at the 2019 Sundance Film Festival.

The combined publicity of Berlinger's two projects quickly elevated Bundy's status from archived atrocity to trending topic on social media. Then, things started to get really out of hand.

There's a lot to learn about Ted Bundy—but for those of you new to the conversation, here's an ultra-short summary. Bundy was a vicious, horrendous, brutal, disgusting mass murderer, kidnapper, rapist, and necrophile responsible for upwards of 30 deaths during the 1970s. He was also considered by many to be quite attractive and charming.

Of course, the emphasis should be on that first part: that whole serial killer thing. However, a number of self-proclaimed "Bundy stans" have taken to Twitter to praise the murderer's appearance and charisma ad nauseam. At present, a quick social search will turn up a few hundred tweets idolizing Bundy's perceived hunkiness and scripting out fictitious seduction scenarios starring the killer. (Fair warning: the phrase "kill me daddy" arises more than once.)

Responding to this deeply problematic social trend, Netflix is now using its official Twitter account to remind everyone what's what.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I've seen a lot of talk about Ted Bundy’s alleged hotness and would like to gently remind everyone that there are literally THOUSANDS of hot men on the service — almost all of whom are not convicted serial murderers</p>&mdash; Netflix US (@netflix) <a href="https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1089950741064601600?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 28, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Notably, this is the second time in recent memory that the streaming platform has had to cope with bizarre audience reactions to a threatening male figure on one of its programs.

Joe Goldberg, a dangerous but also very handsome fictitious stalker in Netflix's runaway hit YOU, gained similar attention from streamers earlier this month. The actor who plays Joe, Penn Badgley, also took to Twitter to combat the troublesome audience response.

Only time will tell if Netflix's gentle reminder about Ted Bundy's reprehensible crimes resonates with its viewers.

DemonGeminiX
01-29-2019, 01:50 PM
People are so fucked up.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-29-2019, 01:52 PM
I find serial killers interesting and fascinating at times, but I don't understand some people's obsession with them to the point of this. Romanticizing a brutal murderer? It's just like the women that write the letters to these murderers in prison pledging their undying devotion.

:nuts:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-29-2019, 04:16 PM
First thing my wife said when we turned it on, "he's pretty hot" :lol:

Hal-9000
01-29-2019, 04:22 PM
I got it!

Was trying to think of who Bundy reminds me of when I was chatting to RBP last night.

Adam Levine could be his little brother :lol:

Hal-9000
01-29-2019, 05:15 PM
https://i.imgur.com/rt9uInF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RxWlhNt.jpg

Hal-9000
01-29-2019, 05:19 PM
I find serial killers interesting and fascinating at times, but I don't understand some people's obsession with them to the point of this. Romanticizing a brutal murderer? It's just like the women that write the letters to these murderers in prison pledging their undying devotion.

:nuts:

It happens more often than we think.

Bundy used a loophole in the justice system to marry a woman in the courtroom. Got her on the stand, swore her in and then asked and declared her to be married to him. He was acting as his own council and it was legit according to Florida law at the time. Crazy, crazy rules...

Hal-9000
01-29-2019, 07:53 PM
When you see how slightly built Bundy was (almost no arm muscle at all) and read how he typically used a hammer or large blunt object (piece of a log in one case) to render women unconscious, it's amazing to think women could be attracted to a person like him.

He escaped custody twice, once from the second floor of a courtroom and once from a jail cell...and after that traveled to Florida and assaulted four more girls, killing two.

These admirers have to realize the guy won't ever stop. Even on the run under a nation wide manhunt he still had to kill people.

Teh One Who Knocks
01-29-2019, 07:54 PM
But they could have changed him :hand:

Hal-9000
01-29-2019, 07:56 PM
Yes. Changed him from using his right hand to his left with the hammer :tup:

Hal-9000
01-29-2019, 07:59 PM
He was both a smart and stupid felon. He had a large birthmark/mole on his neck so he always wore a turtleneck so women couldn't use that to identify him in case they got away.

He also committed most of his crimes using the VW bug. Escapes custody, travels clear across the country from the NW to the SE...and steals a VW bug and eventually gets caught driving it.