PDA

View Full Version : More mysterious brain injuries in Cuba; Canada halves staff after new case

Teh One Who Knocks
02-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Beth Mole - ars TECHNICA

https://i.imgur.com/0EGChaV.jpg

The Canadian government announced Wednesday that it will halve the number of diplomats at its embassy in Cuba after a 14th Canadian has mysteriously fallen ill with brain injuries there.

The latest case from December suggests that the enigmatic incidents—which began in late 2016 and have been considered by the US government to be attacks—are still ongoing, straining relations between Cuba and the US, and now Cuba and Canada.

Josefina Vidal, Cuba's ambassador to Canada, called the decision Wednesday “incomprehensible.”

“This behavior favors those who in the United States use this issue to attack and denigrate Cuba,” she wrote in a statement. “It is well known that some individuals with high-level positions within US foreign policy are trying very hard to create a climate of bilateral tension seeking to portray our country as a threat.”

The latest confirmed Canadian case concerns a senior government official who arrived in Cuba over the summer and reported symptoms on December 29, officials said. Symptoms generally include nausea, dizziness, trouble concentrating, and headaches. Medical experts in the US with access to affected US cases confirmed the presences of mild traumatic brain injuries and described “injury to widespread brain networks without an associated history of head trauma.”

US officials have confirmed 26 American cases, many of which were associated with episodes involving unexplained, irritating sounds, pressure, and vibrations.

International tension

In September of 2017 and March of 2018, the US government announced pull-backs of diplomates from its embassy in Cuba, which is operating only with a skeleton crew.

Canada had not issued such draw-downs until now, working collaboratively with the Cuban government to try to identify the cause of the injuries. However, in April of 2018, the government designated Cuba as an “unaccompanied” post, meaning diplomats were not allowed to bring their families. With Wednesday’s announcement, staff at the Canadian embassy will go from about 16 positions to no more than eight.

Cuba is a popular tourist destination for Canadians, and the Canadian government noted that “[t]here is no evidence that Canadian travelers to Cuba are at risk.” The US government, on the other hand, has issued a level 2 travel advisory, urging travelers to “exercise increased caution.”

Conspiracies and crickets

Meanwhile, the three governments seem no closer to determining the cause of the injuries and illnesses, despite a wide range of ideas being floated. Scientists and experts have discussed the possibility that microwave assaults, sonic weapons, malfunctioning surveillance equipment, chemical agents, viruses, and mass delusions may be the cause.

In late 2017, a panel of Cuban scientists speculated that the noise associated with some of the injuries may have simply been crickets—the Jamaican field cricket (Gryllus assimilis) to be exact. This month, a US biologist and a British entomologist released a paper speculating that a different cricket—the Indies short-tailed cricket (Anurogryllus celerinictus)—may explain the noise. Neither theory provides an explanation for the brain injuries, however.

Cuba’s Vidal added in her statement that Canada's decision to remove staff won’t help clear the air. “Cutting Canada's staff at its Embassy in Cuba and adjusting the mission's programs are actions that do not help find answers,” she wrote.

Since the reports of the mysterious incidents and ailments came to light in Cuba, US diplomats in China have reported similar experiences and injuries.

Hal-9000
02-01-2019, 05:45 PM
I was referring to this talking to GF in another thread.

14 Canadians and 26 Americans all have strange symptoms? Some of them have been sent to a brain injury doctor in Canada and on the news he said - Usually with patients, we know what causes their symptoms. These people have all the signs of head trauma/and or illness.

Godfather
02-02-2019, 03:04 AM
Trudeau won't do shit about it. His Daddy loved the commies too much. It's ok, they're just microwaving our diplomats brains on the defrost setting. This is fine, pay no mind.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-02-2019, 12:23 PM
Trudeau won't do shit about it. His Daddy loved the commies too much. It's ok, they're just microwaving our diplomats brains on the defrost setting. This is fine, pay no mind.If it's only on defrost, then is it really doing much damage? :-k

DemonGeminiX
02-02-2019, 01:58 PM
But seriously, does anyone think that this could be some kind of weapon? Sorry if that's a little too tinfoilish.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-02-2019, 02:02 PM
But seriously, does anyone think that this could be some kind of weapon? Sorry if that's a little too tinfoilish.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directed-energy_weapon?wprov=sfla1

It's not that tinfoilish at all

DemonGeminiX
02-02-2019, 02:16 PM
Oh, ok.

*Puts Reynold's wrap away...* 8-[

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 04:45 PM

I do. That's over 40 people who have reported symptoms at various times staying at the same place.

If it was 1 out of a 100, I'd say look to other causes. Most of these people are government officials and the diagnosis is classified as brain injuries in all cases. Not flu symptoms or food poisoning.

Godfather
02-02-2019, 05:14 PM
If it's only on defrost, then is it really doing much damage? :-k

Nah, us Canadians are used to lifelong post concussion symptoms, we grew up playing hockey.

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 05:15 PM
Nah, us Canadians are used to lifelong post concussion symptoms, we grew up playing hockey.

:-s What's this thread about again?

deebakes
02-02-2019, 06:13 PM
:-s What's this thread about again?

Boneless chicken wings? :?

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 06:15 PM
Boneless chicken wings? :?

Hey you...I hear it's Antarctica over there in Minnesota.

I bet your chicken wing is boneless right now :giggle:

deebakes
02-02-2019, 06:19 PM
Two consecutive minus -30 degree mornings on Wednesday and Thursday (schools were called off). Lots of people having trouble getting to work because cars and even the city buses wouldn't start. It will be 45 here tomorrow, a 75 degree swing in temperature (all Fahrenheit because I'm a dumb american)

Godfather
02-02-2019, 06:26 PM
Two consecutive minus -30 degree mornings on Wednesday and Thursday (schools were called off). Lots of people having trouble getting to work because cars and even the city buses wouldn't start. It will be 45 here tomorrow, a 75 degree swing in temperature (all Fahrenheit because I'm a dumb american)

Aw man, the Cubans got Dee :(

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 06:30 PM

Above zero you can pretty much double our temp and add 30 to get yours .. 10C = 50F, 20C = 68F

Below zero it starts to change. Around -39 we tie :lol:

Your -30 is about -33 for us and we don't shut down schools or work.

You have to forgive me. I thought places like Minnesota and Chicago were used to this type of weather, yet on the news they make it seem like the apocalypse.

I used to leave work last and had to park in a parking lot with no plugins (you guys have block heaters in your cars don't you?). There were a few tense moments when my car wouldn't start right away. Bought a new 2014 Corolla in 2014 and kept hearing about how great Toyotas were. That car never got fully warm by the time I got home in -30 weather, 45 minutes or an hour of driving later.

deebakes
02-02-2019, 08:34 PM
-30 is pretty unusual here. I went to work everyday anyway, they closed schools because the buses were not running and kids could freeze to death waiting for them I guess.

I wouldn't say it was apocalypse, it was just cold. Car plug ins are sort of rare though now, I remember them growing up though in those vehicles that we would always plug in when we went to visit my grandparents by the canadian border.

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 08:46 PM
-30 is pretty unusual here. I went to work everyday anyway, they closed schools because the buses were not running and kids could freeze to death waiting for them I guess.

I wouldn't say it was apocalypse, it was just cold. Car plug ins are sort of rare though now, I remember them growing up though in those vehicles that we would always plug in when we went to visit my grandparents by the canadian border.

They put block heaters/battery heaters in all Canadian cars sold. I believe it's a rule up here. No it's not the apocalypse and I certainly don't mean to offend because all cold weather is shitty. It is hard to see the reports on the news because as you mention it can be dangerous and we never seem to get those breaks from it. Our kids still go to school. Some people don't realize they are 120 seconds away from frostbite starting if their vehicle craps out. It's like being on the moon with limited oxygen. Yeah there's cabs and you can call people if you're in trouble, but there's also three hour waits for cabs in our city during that weather.

Good to hear you're seeing some better weather :thumbsup:

deebakes
02-03-2019, 01:01 AM
no offense, people nowadays are just fucking soft :lol:

DemonGeminiX
02-03-2019, 01:02 AM
:-s

You needed a cold spell to figure that one out?

deebakes
02-03-2019, 01:03 AM
The equating cold to the apocalypse :shrug:

Hal-9000
02-03-2019, 05:24 PM
no offense, people nowadays are just fucking soft :lol:

:lol: you bastard I hate the cold weather

Yesterday afternoon when we were posting it got down to -34C with the windchill. No wonder I was being a pussy.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-04-2019, 10:59 AM
:lol: you bastard I hate the cold weather

Yesterday afternoon when we were posting it got down to -34C with the windchill. No wonder I was being a pussy.

Back in Vermont, we would think about closing the window :hand:

Hal-9000
02-04-2019, 09:50 PM
You should make the thread Lance :lol:

Noilly Pratt
02-05-2019, 03:53 PM
They evacuated half the staff. Imagine yourself being the unlucky half that got to stay. "Gee...thanks a FUCKING lot! Why can't I go? I don't want my brain fried!"

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2019, 03:57 PM
They evacuated half the staff. Imagine yourself being the unlucky half that got to stay. "Gee...thanks a FUCKING lot! Why can't I go? I don't want my brain fried!"

The rest of the staff is dressed like this:

https://i.imgur.com/Xw5m7Hh.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
02-05-2019, 03:59 PM
Trudeau won't do shit about it. His Daddy loved the commies too much. It's ok, they're just microwaving our diplomats brains on the defrost setting. This is fine, pay no mind.

He wont do shit about anything

Hal-9000
02-05-2019, 06:20 PM
He wont do shit about anything

He just announced last night that he's giving 53 million to the new Venezuelan government to help them with the transition.

Bet that made all of the people in my province in the oil industry who are out of jobs due to the transcontinental pipeline not being built really, really happy.