PDA

View Full Version : NJ Man Caught on Video Tossing Ice Cubes Onto Floor, Faking Fall for Insurance Claim: Prosecutors

Teh One Who Knocks
02-01-2019, 11:46 AM
NBC New York

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnEvqBAWOoQ

A New Jersey man who claimed he hurt himself slipping on ice cubes actually threw the cubes onto the floor and lay down on top of them to make it look like he’d fallen, surveillance video shows.

Alexander Goldinsky, 57, of Randolph, filed an insurance claim between Sept. 1 and Nov. 1 of last year alleging he’d injured himself after slipping and falling in the cafeteria at a business in Woodbridge, Middlesex County prosecutors said.

Goldinsky is an independent contractor who was performing work at the business when the incident took place, prosecutors said.

An investigation, however, found Goldinsky lied about the fall, according to prosecutors.

Surveillance video of the incident shows Goldinsky fill a plastic cup with ice cubes and toss them onto the floor of the cafeteria before pretending to fall onto his back.

Goldinsky holds onto a counter as he lowers himself to the floor, the video shows.

The New Jersey resident was arrested on Jan. 15 and charged with one count of third-degree insurance fraud and once count of third-degree theft by deception, prosecutors said.

“Fraudulent claims cost everyone and we will aggressively prosecute those who illegally manipulate the system,” Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew Carey said in a statement.

Goldinsky was released on a summons and is expected to appear in court on Feb. 7. His attorney information wasn’t immediately available, and no one picked up the phone at a number listed for him.

DemonGeminiX
02-01-2019, 12:15 PM
:rofl:

Godfather
02-02-2019, 02:53 AM
God this is so good. I can't tell you how many slip & fall claims we have at work that seem like total bullshit.

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 04:56 PM
God this is so good. I can't tell you how many slip & fall claims we have at work that seem like total bullshit.

Did I ever tell you about my old boss's wife? She worked in corporate insurance for Petro Canada, then private and then became an adjuster. She worked with a group who did the actual stings for people they suspected of fraud getting payments for injury claims.

They set up a place with items on shelves. Luggage, stereos, appliances, all items over a certain weight. Then they called people to come down and pick up their prize. Just like you see on TV, guys with back and leg injury claims grabbing shit and throwing it in the trunk of their cars. All photographed and busted :lol:

I asked how that worked in terms of punishment and she said besides being turned over to the fraud division of the police and being charged, they are made to pay back every cent previously paid out by the claim.

Godfather
02-02-2019, 05:16 PM
Did I ever tell you about my old boss's wife? She worked in corporate insurance for Petro Canada, then private and then became an adjuster. She worked with a group who did the actual stings for people they suspected of fraud getting payments for injury claims.

They set up a place with items on shelves. Luggage, stereos, appliances, all items over a certain weight. Then they called people to come down and pick up their prize. Just like you see on TV, guys with back and leg injury claims grabbing shit and throwing it in the trunk of their cars. All photographed and busted :lol:

I asked how that worked in terms of punishment and she said besides being turned over to the fraud division of the police and being charged, they are made to pay back every cent previously paid out by the claim.

Oh man that's so good :lol: Sounds like an interesting job too.

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 05:19 PM
Oh man that's so good :lol: Sounds like an interesting job too.

I was mad at an adjuster that looked at my vehicle after one of my accidents. He came out around Christmas one year, didn't speak to me at all, and then didn't capture all of the damage on my car.

Boss's wife said that's typical when they're assessing accident claims. It was a headache for me because I had to get the car assessed again and the auto shop wouldn't fix until they signed off on it.

Oh shit man...this is work talk for you, sorry :lol:

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 05:24 PM
Some pretty funny stories from the wife when she worked at Petro. Damage claims from car wash doors, people getting out in those automatic car wash tunnels, execs abusing fleet cars and losing their jobs, people claiming injuries from office chairs, desks and garbage cans...:lol:

Godfather
02-02-2019, 05:38 PM
I was mad at an adjuster that looked at my vehicle after one of my accidents. He came out around Christmas one year, didn't speak to me at all, and then didn't capture all of the damage on my car.

Boss's wife said that's typical when they're assessing accident claims. It was a headache for me because I had to get the car assessed again and the auto shop wouldn't fix until they signed off on it.

Oh shit man...this is work talk for you, sorry :lol:

That is frustrating. I don't think the adjuster industry is necessarily filled with the best and brightest :lol: Particularly on the auto and home insurance side. Anyone with a brain gets moved into the more interesting areas like complex liability or commercial claims.

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 05:50 PM
That is frustrating. I don't think the adjuster industry is necessarily filled with the best and brightest :lol: Particularly on the auto and home insurance side. Anyone with a brain gets moved into the more interesting areas like complex liability or commercial claims.

What gets me is how do they know what damage is particular to the accident they're investigating? Example above I was driving an '86 Buick and the accident occurred in '92. I suppose they have an accident report and use that to make common sense decisions but I find it strange they attribute 'this' to the accident and not 'that'.

Godfather
02-02-2019, 07:15 PM
What gets me is how do they know what damage is particular to the accident they're investigating? Example above I was driving an '86 Buick and the accident occurred in '92. I suppose they have an accident report and use that to make common sense decisions but I find it strange they attribute 'this' to the accident and not 'that'.

I think it's a major source of exaggerated claims. We have auto garages in BC approved by the provincial auto insurer to basically approve insured repairs and are trusted to do so honestly. I've heard a lot of people brag they had dents and scratches from other incidents fixed while their actual claim was being repaired with a wink and a nod from the repair garage who gets to bill for the extra work. ICBC has set up sting operations on them in recent years and closed a few down though.

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 08:14 PM
I think it's a major source of exaggerated claims. We have auto garages in BC approved by the provincial auto insurer to basically approve insured repairs and are trusted to do so honestly. I've heard a lot of people brag they had dents and scratches from other incidents fixed while their actual claim was being repaired with a wink and a nod from the repair garage who gets to bill for the extra work. ICBC has set up sting operations on them in recent years and closed a few down though.

Coincidentally, in that accident example above the other driver was a trucker from BC. I spoke to an ICBC adjuster for weeks getting my car fixed. It's a long and shitty story :lol:

Summary - Truck driver with trailer hit me on the rear left quarter panel, tossed my car up onto a boulevard. Cops came to the accident and determined fault, wrote him a ticket for running a stop sign. Driver mysteriously vanished and couldn't be found when I was talking to ICBC and I had to eventually enlist the help of that same boss's wife to get my claim settled.

Started with a letter entitled 'without prejudice' and you know what that means being in the industry.

Anyways, after almost threatening ICBC they sent money owed for repairs and car rental. It helped me learn how the world worked.