PDA

View Full Version : Manitoba mayor apologizes for vulgar statement involving Justin Trudeau and a pipeline 'pig'

Teh One Who Knocks
02-01-2019, 02:06 PM
By Barnini Chakraborty | Fox News

https://i.imgur.com/0A2rufUl.png

A Canadian mayor on Tuesday apologized to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau for saying he wanted to duct tape him to the front of a pipeline and sodomize him with a “pig” for his handling of the oil and gas industry.

Murray Wright, the mayor of Virden - a town of 3,300 people in Manitoba - told a group of right-wing protestors on January 5 that he’d be in jail if he did what he wanted to do to Trudeau.

“I’m sure that the first pig we run through the pipeline when we get it built out west that he’s duct-taped to the front of it with that pig behind his a** when it goes,” Wright told a cheering group of protestors.

A pig is a device that is run through a pipeline to perform maintenance.

The frustration over Trudeau has been simmering for months. While the yellow vest movement originated in France over President Emmanuel Macron’s fuel tax, the movement made its way to Canada in late December and has fueled a wide range of conservative protests on everything from immigration to the oil and gas industry.

Despite the cheers Wright received, Virden’s town council condemned the comments and unanimously stated that Wright’s views did “not reflect the standards and values of Council,” the National Post reported.

Wright, who was elected mayor of the oil town in October, apologized for his statements, the Empire-Advance reported.

“I want to make this apology to everyone within earshot - the town council, town staff, citizens of Virden and surrounding areas – for the remarks I made at the Yellow Vest rally January 5 on the outside of Virden,” he said. “My remarks were strictly my own but they were not correct and not used in the right context. So I can assure this kind of action on my part will not be repeated.”

Calls to the Prime Minister’s office for comment were not immediately returned.

Hal-9000
02-01-2019, 05:59 PM
Bit of a primer about what's going on up here. We want to build a pipeline so we can sell oil internationally.

Certain parties have opposed the pipeline.

We are still drilling and refining oil daily, which has caused a glut because we can't move it.

Government stepped in and has regulated the daily output (restricted it) in an effort to get the price of a barrel to recover.

Certain parties think the liberal leader, GF, should step in and force the pipeline building contract to go ahead.

It's crippling our economy across the country right now. To use a made up numbers example - We're only allowed to produce 75000 barrels of oil per day when we're able to produce over triple that amount. But since we can't move the oil anywhere and sell it, our oil on the world stage has become devalued and quite frankly it's embarrassing.

Opposition is typically environmentalists (along with political opposers) and an above ground pipeline does little to affect the surrounding area. Building roads and having more transport trucks and barges, building new oil refineries, storage facilities... does affect the environment.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-01-2019, 06:06 PM
So is GF against the pipeline then? Is that why the mayor said what he did about him?

Hal-9000
02-01-2019, 08:37 PM
So is GF against the pipeline then? Is that why the mayor said what he did about him?

I simplified and can't speak for our Prime Minister GF, but yes that's where the hatred is coming from in this article.

People are losing their jobs and homes and lives due to the oil problem and the sad thing is, the problem doesn't stem from lack of oil, it comes from a contract being signed for a pipeline and then non activity.

Perhaps GF could explain it better, but Trudeau's non participation in the dispute is being noticed and he has to take some action soon.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-02-2019, 12:56 AM
No, when I said GF I meant Trudeau, since you know, you said they're the same person :lol: So I was asking if Trudeau had taken a stance on the pipeline either way?

Although it would be interesting to hear GF's thoughts too.

Godfather
02-02-2019, 02:09 AM
Politics aside, I lament the loss of civility and professionalism, but I support pipelines. I want strong environmental policies and for me that means not shipping it by rail or tanker ship. Plus honestly a big 'ol pipeline can make Canadians a fuck load of dough if we own it like the Norwegians.

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 04:57 PM
No, when I said GF I meant Trudeau, since you know, you said they're the same person :lol: So I was asking if Trudeau had taken a stance on the pipeline either way?

Although it would be interesting to hear GF's thoughts too.

I know and was talking about Trudeau too :lol:

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 04:59 PM
Politics aside, I lament the loss of civility and professionalism, but I support pipelines. I want strong environmental policies and for me that means not shipping it by rail or tanker ship. Plus honestly a big 'ol pipeline can make Canadians a fuck load of dough if we own it like the Norwegians.

Yeah I mentioned the same thing. If it's not in a pipeline, they'll use trucks, trains, barges and tankers to move it. And if the environmentalists did their homework they'd see the massive impact comparatively.

Godfather
02-02-2019, 05:41 PM
Yeah I mentioned the same thing. If it's not in a pipeline, they'll use trucks, trains, barges and tankers to move it. And if the environmentalists did their homework they'd see the massive impact comparatively.

I've got friends from college who are very anti-pipeline. You try and talk to them about this and they just don't want to hear it generally. They think we should just abandon fossil fuels immediately and build zero new O&G infrastructure. You can tell them how unsafe and impractical that is, but they don't want to hear it.

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 05:46 PM
I've got friends from college who are very anti-pipeline. You try and talk to them about this and they just don't want to hear it generally. They think we should just abandon fossil fuels immediately and build zero new O&G infrastructure. You can tell them how unsafe and impractical that is, but they don't want to hear it.

I'm not a fan of fossil fuels and I grew up in an oil industry family :lol:

Like Kevin said a long time ago, people don't realize there are nine million other products we get from oil that we use every day.

If we're all willing to give those things up, then it's time to start the revolution I guess.

Godfather
02-02-2019, 06:33 PM
I'm not a fan of fossil fuels and I grew up in an oil industry family :lol:

Like Kevin said a long time ago, people don't realize there are nine million other products we get from oil that we use every day.

If we're all willing to give those things up, then it's time to start the revolution I guess.

Exactly. It's not like any of us really want us fucking around in oil sands, fracking or deep see drilling, but we're not capable of replacing this resource that propelled us and continues to propel us in the industrial and post-industrial age. Hopefully soon, and I'll buy recycled products where possible and affordable as they're developed, but it's just an unreasonable debate to get into with an environmentalist telling you "look man, we just have to stop using oil." Not that simple.

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 06:40 PM
Exactly. It's not like any of us really want us fucking around in oil sands, fracking or deep see drilling, but we're not capable of replacing this resource that propelled us and continues to propel us in the industrial and post-industrial age. Hopefully soon, and I'll buy recycled products where possible and affordable as they're developed, but it's just an unreasonable debate to get into with an environmentalist telling you "look man, we just have to stop using oil." Not that simple.

I look at what's happening to our country right now and we're still using oil. Can you imagine if/when they pull the plug on fossil fuels forever? Millions of people will be unemployed and on the worldwide stage entire economies will be crippled. Fuck the Saudis yes, but there are so many oil based products that will have to be changed or become obsolete, other industries like plastics and make up will either have to adapt or fold. It really is a house of cards scenario. Just the transportation industry associated with world wide oil production is worth billions...

Godfather
02-02-2019, 07:42 PM
I look at what's happening to our country right now and we're still using oil. Can you imagine if/when they pull the plug on fossil fuels forever? Millions of people will be unemployed and on the worldwide stage entire economies will be crippled. Fuck the Saudis yes, but there are so many oil based products that will have to be changed or become obsolete, other industries like plastics and make up will either have to adapt or fold. It really is a house of cards scenario. Just the transportation industry associated with world wide oil production is worth billions...

That stems into my concern with driverless vehicles too. The number of people employed just as truck drivers alone is astounding. I don't know what these men will do if that industry is radically automated in the span of a few years.

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 08:05 PM
That stems into my concern with driverless vehicles too. The number of people employed just as truck drivers alone is astounding. I don't know what these men will do if that industry is radically automated in the span of a few years.

I heard a thing from a robotics professor and he said our fear of robots in the next few years taking over industries is unfounded. He cited car making production line robots and how long they took to replace jobs, where they still need to employ humans to do some of the line work and oversee the robots.

He brought up vehicles and said it will be years before we see an actual city center operate with fully automated cars. I know what you're saying though. If they find a way to replace truck drivers, boat captains, train engineers etc, that's another enormous hit to personnel within industries.

Robotics prof was cool. He explained he works daily towards replacing human labor, but insists we are nowhere close to what some TV shows and articles try to imply. He spoke about the self checkout registers at supermarkets and how simple that tech is comparatively, yet they still have to have human minders when things go wrong.

Hal-9000
02-02-2019, 08:36 PM

I like and dislike automated cars. On the one hand vehicle assisted braking for potential head on collisions is something we need. I saw a demo where a car was driving beside a large truck. Another vehicle came around the front of the truck going crosswise in front of both vehicles. The car beside the truck detected the oncoming vehicle and auto stopped safely.

On the other hand, I don't like the loss of control within a vehicle. There has to be a touch override for those systems. I still can't imagine getting into a vehicle, programming a destination and then turning around to face the back and having a coffee, reading the paper like in the movies.